cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any way to disable IPv6 on Hitron CGN3AMR or other ways to prevent IPv6 attacks?

michaelpod
I've been here awhile

I was shocked to realize that now with acquiring of Hitron modem all my IPv6 devices are open to direct attacks from outside, as there is no old good NAT for IPv6. 

I looked for an option in Hitron to disable IPv6 in my LAN but with no success.

Any help with this?

If it is not possible, do I have any option other than turning Hitron to a bridge mode and buying another router? Any recomendation for such a router with IPv6 support turnable off and/or with a reasonable built-in firewall?

Thank you!

53 REPLIES 53

Re: Any way to disable IPv6 on Hitron CGN3AMR or other ways to prevent IPv6 attacks?

digoes83
I've been here awhile

same issue here

Re: Any way to disable IPv6 on Hitron CGN3AMR or other ways to prevent IPv6 attacks?

Hey @RogersDave,

I have the same problem with NHL 17 on the xbox one. Can't play any multiplayer games. So using a third party router is the only way? or can i turn off IPv6 through my router setting?

Brandon

Hi @Biddybig!

Welcome to our Community Forums!

I'm sorry to hear that you're having troubles playing multiplayer games. As a multiplayer fanatic myself, I know just how frustrating it can be when you can't connect after a long day at work!

In order for us to look into this, can you please provide us with the following? 

Gaming console:

Modem Type:

Modem Firmware:

If you could also provide us with a list of games that are impacted, it will be of great help. Others in this thread have indicated it's only EA games they're having trouble with. Is this the same case for you?

Regards,

RogersCorey

axil_stone
I've been here awhile

Hey @RogersCorey,

Thanks for replying in this thread, indicating Rogers is taking this seriously.

Would you be able to respond to my question from a couple weeks ago (a few posts above yours):

Do you have any kind of a timeline for when this firmware update will be released? It's been over a month since I got ME:A, and I'm really anxious to actually play the multiplayer portion of the game.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

A.S.

Hello @axil_stone,

Welcome To the Rogers Community Forums! 🙂 

Thanks for your reply! We take things seriously and are always happy to do everything we can to help you.

I want to ensure we get the correct information to you regarding the upcoming Firmware updates. Online gaming is very important to many of our customers so we will do our best to get this addressed for you as quickly as possible.

I am unaware of when the Firmware update will be available but I am hoping @RogersDave will be able to provide more insight on this matter for you.

Please stay tuned for a response from our expert on this matter.

Regards,

RogersTony

@axil_stone, are you running an unlimited account by chance?  If so, then you would be able to exchange your current modem for a CODA-4582 and then request the current trial firmware V2.0.10.27   With that version loaded, you can disable IPV6 operation.  The planned update for the CGN3ACSMR is delayed due to wifi issues that were observed by users on the forum.  End result, the firmware is back in the shop for further work, eta for release isn't known at this point.  When that firmware is released, you will have to request it, as its probably not intended for release to the CGN3AMRs, at least not at this time.  There probably won't be any issues loading it if you request it however.  I believe that is should allow you to disable IPV6, but, don't quote me on that one. 

digoes83
I've been here awhile
Where can I get this. 27 firmware? @RogersDave?

roy86
I plan to stick around

@Datalink cannot play fifa 17 online as well on xbox one.  Need IPV6 to be disabled. i cant believe hitron did not provide us this option in the first place!

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@roy86, that might have been included in firmware version 4.5.8.29 for the CGN3ACSMR.  That was due for release in March but a wifi problem was detected very shortly after it was released, and as a result, that version was not released to the rest of the network. Any modems with that version loaded were rolled back to the latest production firmware that preceded .29  

From the update list:  

Improvement: First release of IPv6 firewall

I'm not sure if the IPV6 enable/disable was included or not, just speculating at this point as the release list doesn't specifically mention it.  

Are you on an unlimited plan?  If so, then the easiest way to get to where you want to be is to swap your current modem for a CODA-4582 and request the current trial version, 2.0.10.27, which includes an IPV6 enable/disable.

digoes83
I've been here awhile
Thanks for the workarounds. @Datalink

foster1472
I've been here awhile

@Datalink Is there any way to get the 2.0.10.27 firmware update? I have the CODA with 2.0.10.t26 as forgot to ask about trial version when picking up. Could really benefit from being able to disable ipv6 when needed.

@foster1472 to request the trial firmware follow this link @CommunityHelps to navigate to the CommunityHelps page when you are signed into the forum. On the right hand side of the page is a link titled "Send this user a private message". Use that link to navigate to the next message composition page.  It will already be addressed.  

1.  Fill in the title with CODA-4582 Trial Firmware Request.

2.  In the text area, include your request, including the modem MAC address and Serial number. The modem MAC address and serial number can be found on the sticker at the back of the modem, or copied from the data located in the Status page of the modem when you are logged into the modem.

Send that info to @CommunityHelps and you should see a reply later today.

When you're logged into the forum, watch for a number overlaying your avatar at the upper right hand corner. Follow the avatar link down to the message inbox to acknowledge the waiver that is required for the trial firmware.  When that is acknowledged, you should see the firmware loaded later today or tomorrow.  When you know that the firmware has been loaded, reboot or restart the modem.  Don't run a factory reset as that will return the modem back to 2.0.10.26T2

foster1472
I've been here awhile

Awesome, thanks! I will try this out and follow up on here to let others know if it worked or not. 

@foster1472 firmware version 2.0.10.27 was released across the network today. To update your modem, simply reboot the modem using the ADMIN ..... DEVICE RESET ..... Reboot function, or, unplug the power for the modem, wait for 15 seconds or so, and plug it back in.   When it powers up it will run a firmware check, update to the latest version which is .27, load the version and reboot.  When its done, run another reboot on your own.  I've always found that a second reboot after an update will ensure that you get the best performance out of the modem.

I have the Hitron CGNM-3552 I believe, and the ipv6 is preventing me from playing FIFA. Is there anything that I can do to get around this? I read a lot about updates, is there one for my particular modem?

@orange2006 are you running an unlimited account?  If so, I would recommend swapping the modem for the newer CODA-4582 (white modem).  With that modem and firmware version 2.0.10.27 loaded, you would have the ability to run the modem in IPV4 mode only which might resolve the FIFA issue.  Are you using an Xbox One by chance?  There are known problems with player to player gaming with IPV6 running.  It looks like games which run thru a server are fine.

If you do swap the modem, it will either run an update immediately to .27 upon first boot up, or, it will take 40 to 72 hours to update.  That will depend on the version that is currently loaded on the modem.  After .27 loads, the modem will run a check on every boot up to determine if it's running the latest production firmware.  If not, it will update when the version check is done. 

AS7
I've been here awhile

Fifa 17 troubleshooting Xbox One S

The video game FIFA 17 on Xbox One S would not find an opponent to the wifi connection but it would with the wifi hotspot by my iPhone.

I have 1 GB speed plan. And on the Rogers speed test, I have 970Mbps and the upload is 30Mbs

I reached EA Sports team and they made a test with me: they asked me to test the game through the hotspot and it worked well to find the opponent and no issue with the hotspot so they said the problem is with your internet.

I'm using Hitron white. Please if anybody can help to solve this problem 

Thanks

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@AS7, log into the modem and check the current Software (firmware) version that is loaded.  If it is V2.0.10.27, you can navigate to the BASIS ..... RESIDENTIAL GATEWAY tab.  For the modem's operating mode, select IPV4 instead of DUAL (IPV4 and IPV6).  Save the setting, then reboot the modem via the ADMIN .... DEVICE RESET .... Reboot function.  That will result in the modem operating with the traditional IPV4 addressing.  Issues with finding matches for player to player games on the Xbox One and IPV6 have been noted.  Player to server games apparently run without issue with IPV6 running.  

If the Firmware version is a previous version, then you should reboot the modem.  Unless this is a newly installed modem with much earlier firmware, the reboot should cause a version check to run during the reboot, at which time V2.0.10.27 should load.  When that is fully loaded, the modem has rebooted on its own and is back in an operating state, log into the modem as indicated above to set the operating mode to IPV4 and reboot the modem. 

When that is complete, try the Xbox again and let us know if FIFA 17 is running as it should. 

AS7
I've been here awhile
Thanks, problem solved

Hi, I have exactly the same issue with my xbox one and fifa. Have you been able to find a solution, thanks a lot Ben.

@an0811 wrote:

Any way to disable IPV6 for Xbox?

I need to disable IPV6 for my Xbox because FIFA 17 does not work online using that option, I used to use IPV4 with my last ISP and it worked fine but since switching to Rogers IPV6 it does not anymore, I have been told the Hitron router supports both IPV4 and 6. If I assign my Xbox a static IP and DNS that are IPV4 IP and DNS will that force the console to use IPV4.

If this is not possible I will need to buy a new router and use my Rogers one as a bridge, so can you suggest some third party routers that are IPV4 or have the option to turn of IPV6?

Thank You 

Topic Stats