cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access NAS remotely

hectop
I'm here a lot

Original configuration:
I had a CODA-4582U modem operating in bridge mode connected to my Synology RT6600ax Router (and others previously).  I have a Synology NAS unit connected via Ethernet cable to the Synology Router and use RAIDRIVE to connect to the NAS using WEBDAV remotely. Everything was working properly.  All internal devices are getting DHCP from the Synology Router.

RAIDRIVE WebDav connection was to a DDNS name with IP pointing with the modem's WAN IP (99.xxx.xxx.xxx) and port 5nnnn

The condo is migrating to Ignite and all previous services will be discontinued in May, so I've not been moved to Ignite on Jan 18th.

Current Configuration:

Ignite Gateway (Arris Group TG4482A) with the same WAN IP as before.  Operating in Gateway Mode and having internal address of 10.0.0.1 (standard config) Synology Router connected by Ethernet cable to Gateway with IP of 10.0.0.106.   Synology router is still handling DHCP on 192.168.1.x network and all internal devices are working correctly.

When I first tried to connect to the NAS I got an error WAN IP/Port refused connection.

I then configured port forwarding on the Ignite Gateway for the port to the Synology router.  Now, when I try to attach to NAS using RAIDrive I'm getting errors like  "unreachable network WAN IP/Port" or "connection from hos failed to respond WAN IP/Port".

I'd prefer to leave the TV boxes on the Gateway wi-fi and leave the other devices on my internal network.  So what do I need to do to configure port forwarding to the NAS?

I haven't to find anything similar to this on the internet and previous experience has been that Rogers Help Desk can't help on this.

TIA for any suggestions.

*** Edited Labels ***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Access NAS remotely

RogersTony

Hello, @hectop

Thanks for posting your concern to the community.

You may need to run the Ignite Gateway in bridge mode and use your router the same way you did previously. You can use the same SSID and password that you were using on the Ignite Gateway so all of your STBs and devices should connect automatically. 

While we do not support this sort of setup it should work as many other users in the community are using this sort of setup.

I hope this helps!

RogersTony

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

RogersTony

Hello, @hectop

Thanks for posting your concern to the community.

You may need to run the Ignite Gateway in bridge mode and use your router the same way you did previously. You can use the same SSID and password that you were using on the Ignite Gateway so all of your STBs and devices should connect automatically. 

While we do not support this sort of setup it should work as many other users in the community are using this sort of setup.

I hope this helps!

RogersTony

Thanks Tony, I had a feeling I had to do that. 

If I want to keep the router's SSID, how do I get the STBs to register there.

On a somewhat related note, what would have happened if I had set the Ignite Gateway's SSID to the same as the router's? 

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

if you keep the Ignite Modem in gateway mode and still use your own router you will be using double NAT. Not a good idea,

As RogersTony said just put ignite in bridge and use your router with the same SSIDs and passwords as the orginally gateway had. No need for the TV boxes to actually connect to the Ignite modem gateway wifi SSIDs.

They will work fine connecting to your router's SSIDs or even hard wired with CAT5.

I have my Ignite modem bridged and using my own router. All boxes work fine, wifi and hard wired.

@hectop wrote:

If I want to keep the router's SSID, how do I get the STBs to register there.

To manually connect to a new Wi-Fi network on your Ignite Entertainment Box please follow these steps:

On the Voice Remote press and hold Exit for 5 seconds, then press down, down, 9-4-3-4 to connect to a new Wi-Fi network on the Ignite Entertainment Box.

These steps need to be done rather quickly to avoid timing out. You will see a list of available Wi-Fi networks on your TV screen, if done correctly, and you can connect to the one of your choice.

RogersTony

Actually you don't have to enter any code.  The STB will tell you it can't connect and scans for SSIDs

Jonnycakes
I've been here awhile

I'm in a similar situation, I use an old DNS-321 NAS connected via ethernet cable to the modem/router. Before being forced to switch to Ignite, I was using a Hitron modem/router and I could port forward the NAS to be accessible remotely without any problems.

Unfortunately, even after setting up the port forwarding (through the MOBILE app rather than the modem's web interface, which is asinine in and of itself) and trying many different port #s, the NAS is still inaccessible remotely.

I don't have another router to put the Ignite modem into bridge mode and I don't want to get one, nor should I need to!

Are you aware of any other workarounds that don't involve putting the Ignite Gen3 modem into Bridge mode?

Good morning @Jonnycakes!

If my research on the DNS-321 is accurate, then this NAS was originally released in 2008, 15 years ago. Older equipment can become a security risk if you're trying to allow for remote access.

I understand that you're apprehensive to upgrade your equipment, but we've gone through multiple new Windows and Mac OS versions since then. Technology has changed quite a lot and your DNS-321's compatibility with modern equipment may be unreliable at this stage.

I think it is time to upgrade your NAS. If you truly do not want to do that, you may need to get yourself a third party router that still supports this outdated NAS. 

Regards,

RogersCorey

Jonnycakes
I've been here awhile

Hi Corey,

Thank you very much for your reply. Are you saying that newer models of NAS would not have the same issue as my DNS-321 and I should be able to access them remotely simply through the use of a port forward, without requiring activating the Bridge mode?

Little update: I activated DMZ for this device and now I can access the NAS remotely. Access to this device requires specific login credentials and files are not accessible without a login. I have seen a lot of cautioning against using DMZ for remote access to devices, but realistically speaking would you consider this a significant security risk? There is no OS on this NAS model (from what I recall, some NAS models nowadays have built-in operating systems nowadays), and as I said, access without a login would be impossible without some sort of bruteforcing or other hacking methods. Cyber security is not my forte, so that's why I'm asking.

Worst case scenario, if I am away from my home network and need to access files from my NAS remotely, I can always temporarily enable DMZ for my NAS using the HomeConnect app, and then disable the DMZ when my file transfer(s) is/are complete. Would you consider this a good last resort for the interim until I upgrade my NAS?

Thanks!

~Jonathan

The DNS-321 has a native OS which hasn't been updated in years.

When I was using a DNS-321 I had to change to OS since it wouldn't connect to Windows at the time.  It had something to do with an older version of Samba/NFS. 

I got around it by changing to Alt-F. Alt-F download | SourceForge.net

I also needed WebDav access and had to use RaiDrive to map the drives. https://www.raidrive.com/

Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 in conversation