cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Ignite Parental Controls and Google Wi-Fi Mesh system

ElaineEmery
I've been around

Hello, I’m using Rogers ignite, and I also have a google Wi-Fi mesh. System connected today to boost the Wi-Fi signal in my home. I’m trying to set up the parental control features both my children as far as restricting Wi-Fi time, etc. What I’m finding is some of the devices are connected, and I can see them in the ignite home connect app, but I cannot see my children’s devices, which are working and connected to my network via Google Mesh wifi. The question I’m asking is, would I be able to inclement parental controls via the Rogers ignite system, even though devices are connected by my Google mesh network, or do my children’s devices, have to be directly connected to the Rogers ignite modem? Thanks

***EDITED LABELS***

1 REPLY 1

Re: Rogers Ignite Parental Controls and Google Wi-Fi Mesh system

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ElaineEmery  If you want to use Rogers Ignite parental controls, this is a potentially a very problematic setup.

The Rogers Ignite WiFi works best when you use Ignite Pods to expand your WiFi coverage.

Normally, when you want to use the Ignite Gateway to manage your in-home network but also want to use a 3rd-party WiFi mesh solution, you disable WiFi on the Ignite gateway and put your WiFi mesh into Bridge/AP mode.  That will allow you to use HomeConnect to manage your devices with Parental Controls.

Apparently, if you put your Google Nest WiFi into Bridge Mode, you cannot use it as a mesh.  If you run with Google WiFi in router/gateway mode, the Ignite Gateway will see all the devices that are connected to it as a single device, the parent node/router of your Google WiFi mesh.

If that is not complicated enough, many devices are configured to connect to WiFi using private/random MAC addresses.  This enhances privacy when connecting to untrusted/less-trusted networks, but it also makes them unrecognizable and indistinguishable when you are trying to manage them with parental controls.

Also, to make things even more complicated, if you leave WiFi enabled on your Ignite Gateway and you have devices that can connect to either WiFi network, MAC address randomization will cause those devices to appear as different devices, depending on which WiFi network that they are connected to.

I'm not sure what the best solution is for you but this is why you are having difficulties managing your children's devices with Parental Controls.

Topic Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation