cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XB6 Modem Settings/Requests/Firmware Discussion

gp-se
I'm an advisor

Hey guys, I noticed we don't have a dedicated thread on the XB6 modem like the Hitrons. I'm making this thread so we can talk about the various settings and requests for future changes through firmware updates. For me the biggest issues with the modem is we cannot block specific devices from internet access and we cannot use custom DNS servers.

With the Hitrons we could use a custom DNS without issues, and if we bridge the modem we can also use a custom DNS so I don't see why we aren't given the option with the XB6. The Xi6 boxes don't require using Rogers DNS since in bridge mode they are using whatever DNS the user has specified. For security and privacy reasons it's nice being able to choose whatever DNS server we want, and also being able to block devices like personal NAS and IoT from network access.

I know everyone is going to say put the XB6 in bridge mode and problem solved, however besides these two issues my XB6 isn't that bad. The range and speed suits my needs so why should I buy another $200-$300 router just so I can use a custom DNS and block some devices from the internet. Hopefully Rogers listens to our feedback and gives us more control like on the Hitrons.

***EDITED LABELS***

192 REPLIES 192

Re: XB6 Modem Settings/Requests/Firmware Discussion

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
Beta testing in production usually goes to a smaller group 😉

seadooxp30
I'm a reliable contributor

@Don_Ca 

Are you Beta tester? Have you been asked or requested to be beta tester?

If yes that's why you get all these firmware and not rest of us...

seadooxp30

@-G- 

I have so many issues with Ignite TV that I don't mind getting beta firmware!

What else could happen 🙂

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
No, that is an old IT joke usually applied to Microsoft

seadooxp30

@Don_Ca 

so You are not Beta tester and still two firmware ahead of us 🙂

Lucky you!

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@-G- wrote:

@gp-se wrote:

I just did a factory reset using through 10.0.0.1 and set everything back up from scratch, however it still shows ignitewifi.rogers.com to make changes to devices. I don't have the Ignite App installed, and I also didn't visit ignitewifi.rogers.com after performing the reset.

For some reason, the back-end systems seem to be slow in picking up changes in the XB6's state.  Another user reported disabling bridge mode on the XB6 but the back-end also did not pick up on this, at least not immediately.  I don't know whether this is a bug or expected behaviour.

FYI, if you don't need and/or don't want the Ignite WiFi Hub back-end to be active and controlling your XB6, Rogers can disable it on your account.

@-G- 

It turns out they cannot disable it from the back end and I am stuck using the Web GUI and App to make changes. I hate having to use two different things to make changes, I rather have all my settings in one place (the Web GUI). 

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
New Firmware this morning:

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version:Prod_18.3_d31 & Prod_18.3
Software Image Name:CGM4140COM_4.2p10s2_PROD_sey
Advanced Services:CGM4140COM
Packet Cable:2.0

edj_01
I plan to stick around

Does the new firmware update on the technicolor XB6 Rogers hub prevent wi-fi settings from being modified? I verified that my hub has the latest update and haven't been able to modify my wi-fi settings. (wi-fi mode, channel select, channel width) I had access to modify wi-fi settings before Friday, when the update was pushed. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@edj_01  I believe that installing Ignite Pods will cause you to lose access to those settings.

edj_01
I plan to stick around
Thanks @-G-, I don’t have the pods installed.
Rogers sent me 2 of them and they are just sitting in a drawer. They are listed in MyRogers account profile, under the internet equipment section. Since they are registered as equipment under my account, could that possibly provision the hub to have those settings managed automatically, regardless if the pods are not installed?
This issue of not being able to manage my wi-fi settings just occurred recently and noticed it this past weekend after the new firmware was released. I was able to modify the settings mid last week.

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
That might be it. Since the PODs show up it switches.

Taab
I plan to stick around

This new firmware update destroyed my speeds in bridge mode. I get like 100 Mbps wired from my 3rd party router now. 

Re: XB6 Modem Settings/Requests/Firmware Discussion new

mike881881
I've been here awhile

Can wi-fi be turned off on the Arris XB6 Modem? Can this be scheduled to turn off in the evening and turn on in the morning? I am trying to reduce my exposure to wi-fi emissions when not in use.

Thanks.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mike881881 wrote:

Can wi-fi be turned off on the Arris XB6 Modem? Can this be scheduled to turn off in the evening and turn on in the morning? I am trying to reduce my exposure to wi-fi emissions when not in use.

There is no way to do this in settings.  However, if you turn your WiFi devices COMPLETELY off, there won't be much (if any) traffic to your Ignite gateway.  If your wired Ethernet-connected devices are not constantly sending broadcast traffic, the only WiFi traffic from your XB6 should be periodic Beacon frames, which is negligible compared to what's already in the airwaves.

mike881881
I've been here awhile
I just found this online:

Arris XB6 (TG3482G)

Login to XB6 admin GUI on Web by entering 10.0.0.1 in the browser address bar
Enter the admin username and password. Username: admin, Password: password
Under Connections, click on Wi-Fi
You should then see the Private WiFi Network per Radio. Click on edit next to radio 2.4Ghz
Next to Wireless Networks, click on Disable. Click on Save Settings.
Turn off the option to Broadcast network name SSID
Click on Save settings
Repeat steps 3 to 6 to disable the 5Ghz radio

Would this work?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mike881881 wrote:
I just found this online:

Arris XB6 (TG3482G)

Login to XB6 admin GUI on Web by entering 10.0.0.1 in the browser address bar
Enter the admin username and password. Username: admin, Password: password
Under Connections, click on Wi-Fi
You should then see the Private WiFi Network per Radio. Click on edit next to radio 2.4Ghz
Next to Wireless Networks, click on Disable. Click on Save Settings.
Turn off the option to Broadcast network name SSID
Click on Save settings
Repeat steps 3 to 6 to disable the 5Ghz radio

Sorry, I misunderstood.  I also thought that you were looking for a way to automate the process.

Would this work?

You would think so.  However, if you use a mobile WiFi scanner app, you will find that the Ignite XB6 gateway will continue to have some hidden WiFi networks networks active, even after you disable WiFi using the steps outlined above.

The XB6 was also designed by Comcast to act as a home automation hub.  If I am not mistaken, the XB6 has additional internal radios for controlling and interacting with IoT devices, using Bluetooth LE and Zigbee radios, and (I believe also) Thread, although I don't know whether Rogers currently has these enabled.

As far as I know, there is (currently) no way to completely disable the XB6's WiFi or any of its other other internal radios through settings.  I personally do not have any safety concerns about electromagnetic radiation from the XB6 at these frequencies and power levels.  However, if you do, then the only way to minimize or eliminate them is to either unplug the gateway or shield it using a Faraday cage.

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor

New firmware:

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version:Prod_18.3_d31 & Prod_18.3
Software Image Name:CGM4140COM_4.2p14s1_PROD_sey

seadooxp30

not for me and I'm waiting for land line WMI to be fixed.

Oh well...

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

Hello,

I see that I have received some new firmware on my modem:

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version:Prod_19.3_d31 & Prod_19.3
Software Image Name:CGM4140COM_4.4p4s4_PROD_sey

Could someone please tell me what the changes are for this as well as what issues does it fix?

Thank you.

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
They never say. "Fixes and improvements"

Check your connection, do you have OFDMA yet in your upstream?

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

It looks like I don't

IndexLock StatusFrequencySymbol RatePower LevelModulationChannel Type

Upstream
Channel Bonding Value
21 MHz
25 MHz
32 MHz
38 MHz
36.5 dBmV