cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XB6 Modem Settings/Requests/Firmware Discussion

gp-se
I'm an advisor

Hey guys, I noticed we don't have a dedicated thread on the XB6 modem like the Hitrons. I'm making this thread so we can talk about the various settings and requests for future changes through firmware updates. For me the biggest issues with the modem is we cannot block specific devices from internet access and we cannot use custom DNS servers.

With the Hitrons we could use a custom DNS without issues, and if we bridge the modem we can also use a custom DNS so I don't see why we aren't given the option with the XB6. The Xi6 boxes don't require using Rogers DNS since in bridge mode they are using whatever DNS the user has specified. For security and privacy reasons it's nice being able to choose whatever DNS server we want, and also being able to block devices like personal NAS and IoT from network access.

I know everyone is going to say put the XB6 in bridge mode and problem solved, however besides these two issues my XB6 isn't that bad. The range and speed suits my needs so why should I buy another $200-$300 router just so I can use a custom DNS and block some devices from the internet. Hopefully Rogers listens to our feedback and gives us more control like on the Hitrons.

***EDITED LABELS***

192 REPLIES 192

Re: XB6 Modem Settings/Requests/Firmware Discussion

RogersCorey

Thanks for starting up this thread @gp-se!

A dedicated thread is a perfect place for sharing info and making suggestions. 🙂

Regards,

RogersCorey

Will the XB6 be getting OFMDA like the Hitrons?

Also if we put the XB6 in bridge mode will it disable the public hot spot access, and technician SSID access?

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Public hot spot access?  Didn't Shaw try that a few years ago? Technician wifi access?

Maybe you should explain why you think these are there? Even better show us a screen shot.

Bill 

@Biollw have a look at the following sites:

https://wifi.xfinity.com/

The map on this page is interesting as it shows where hotspot modems are located.  Looks like they're running in or near commercial areas, instead of everywhere, but, looking around, there are definitely residential areas where these are running. 

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/disable-xfinity-wifi-home-hotspot

Notice the wording on this page:  " Xfinity WiFi hotspots are available at no extra charge if you rent an Xfinity Gateway, including the xFi Advanced Gateway (model numbers TG3482G, CGM4140COM), xFi Gateway (model numbers DPC3939, DPC3941T, TG1682G), and Xfinity Gateway 2 (model numbers Arris TG852G and TG862G, Technicolor TC8305C). Find your Gateway make and model by looking at the UPC seal located on the bottom or back of your device.

We encourage you to keep the Xfinity WiFi Home Hotspot feature enabled, as it allows more people to enjoy the benefits of Xfinity WiFi.

Here's news coverage from a few years ago.  Seems that not everyone was enamoured by having their home modem turned into a public hotspot:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/12/comcast-sued-by-customers-for-turning-routers-into-publi...

Have a look at the wifi scan on this page:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Comcast/comments/bspxtz/xfinity_hotspot_and_hidden_network_causing/

That's probably the worst case scenario, hundreds of SSIDs in a very small geographical area.

Here's Shaws take on the hotspot, which didn't go down well with their customers:

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/service-updates-outages/shaw-hotspot/ta-p/6066

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Sure that's xfinity. I see nothing here that suggests Rogers is doing the same thing.

Again show me screen shots of your XB6 doing the same thing. 

Bill

Jamiesmith1976
I plan to stick around

Anyone know the purpose of the HDMI input on the back of the Wi-Fi boxes?

Hi @Jamiesmith1976!

Though I can't speak to the design decision what I can confirm for you is that the HDMI input port is disabled on all Xi6 set top boxes. That said though to my knowledge the boxes will work just fine using an HDMI switch if needed.

@RogersAndy

seadooxp30
I'm a reliable contributor

What's is the latest firmware for XB6 Modem?

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Mine is currently at: Arris version

System Software Version

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version:7.1.1.1.69
Software Image Name:TG3482SV6_3.12p12s1_PROD_sey
Advanced Services:TG3482G
Packet Cable:1.5

seadooxp30

Thanks...

I have exactly the same so this must be latest version as of today

Technicolor XB6

System Software Version

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version:Prod_18.1_d31 & Prod_18.1
Software Image Name:CGM4140COM_3.12p12s1_PROD_sey
Advanced Services:CGM4140COM
Packet Cable:2.0

Anyone know if we will be getting DOCSIS 3.1 Upload on the XB6?
Also when will be able to use custom DNS like on the Hitron?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gp-se wrote:

@RogersJose   answered those questions here: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Ask-an-Expert-Ignite-TV-Pt-II/m-p/450947/highlight/t...

... although I'm hoping that they will reconsider their position on allowing users to configure custom IPv4 and IPv6 DNS servers otherwise, customers who really want (or need) to do this will have no choice but to enable Bridge Mode on the XB6 and use their own router.

I'm also hoping that they will reconsider giving users the option to completely disable the Wi-Fi radios when Wi-Fi is disabled on the XB6.

seadooxp30

Oh so there are still two different Modem out there!

Technicolor XB6 was the original one before they started giving out Arris

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

I believe Arris was out before the Technicolor version.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The Arris XB6 is based on the Intel Puma 7 chipset; the Technicolor is based on the Broadcom BCM3390.

I think Rogers' initial rollouts were with the Arris gateways, possibly to reduce the risk of interoperability issues, since their other modems were also Puma-based.  The Technicolor XB6's became available to Ignite TV customers in early spring, 2019.

Both gateways look identical on the outside and have the same admin UI.  On the inside, they are are totally different hardware and software stacks.  They should be functionally identical but in reality, there are subtle differences and both have their pros and cons and their own unique quirks.

Some may prefer the quieter fan on the Arris; some are biased against anything with a Puma chipset.  Some will argue that the Technicolor XB6 has better Wi-Fi performance although I didn't notice much of a difference in real-world testing.  I don't know if either has any advantages with their DOCSIS implementation.  One noticeable thing on the telephony side: the Arris plays a stuttered dial tone when you have voicemail; the Technicolor does not.  (This will affect whether or not the voicemail indicator lamp will light up on some phones.)  Ignite TV works equally well with both.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@-G- wrote:

@gp-se wrote:

@RogersJose   answered those questions here: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Ask-an-Expert-Ignite-TV-Pt-II/m-p/450947/highlight/t...

... although I'm hoping that they will reconsider their position on allowing users to configure custom IPv4 and IPv6 DNS servers otherwise, customers who really want (or need) to do this will have no choice but to enable Bridge Mode on the XB6 and use their own router.

I'm also hoping that they will reconsider giving users the option to completely disable the Wi-Fi radios when Wi-Fi is disabled on the XB6.

Dear Rogers, I know currently we cannot use custom DNS because of parental control, but can you please allow us to use custom DNS and still have parental control for users the require it. The Hitrons allowed this, and every third party router allows custom DNS and parental control. 

Also as mentioned, when we put the XB6 in Bridge Mode can it disable all WiFi radios, the interference causes issues when we use another Router. 

I really don't want to spend money on another router just to use custom DNS, it's such an easy feature to implement. As I mentioned the Hitrons allowed this, and all third party routers allow this with parental controls still working. I understand the firmware comes from Comcast and you are at their mercy, but it's a feature that a lot of people are looking for. User Privacy and DNS Encryption (DoT and DoH) is gaining mainstream attention, so it would be nice for Rogers to support this, or at least give us the option of using a custom DNS. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gp-se wrote:

I really don't want to spend money on another router just to use custom DNS, it's such an easy feature to implement. As I mentioned the Hitrons allowed this, and all third party routers allow this with parental controls still working. I understand the firmware comes from Comcast and you are at their mercy, but it's a feature that a lot of people are looking for. User Privacy and DNS Encryption (DoT and DoH) is gaining mainstream attention, so it would be nice for Rogers to support this, or at least give us the option of using a custom DNS. 

There's really no reason not to allow users to configure an alternate DNS provider, especially if they don't use (or don't even want) Protected Browsing and Parental Controls.  As for DNS-over-HTTPS, all of the major web browsers either already have built-in support for it or they plan to release it in their Stable-channel builds in the near future.  (It will also be interesting to see if Rogers takes steps to block or turn off DoH.)

However, I'm still not convinced that DoH will buy you a whole lot in terms of privacy.  Sure, DNS is one of the last few remaining unencrypted protocols that we commonly use today, but your ISP (and anybody else that can intercept your Internet traffic) can still track your web habits just from the IP address of the site that you connect to and page load fingerprints.  If you are REALLY worried about privacy and don't want your ISP to be able to track you, you need to use a VPN.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

I logged into my XB6 today and noticed it now directs me to ignitewifi.rogers.com to change/view some settings. I noticed there is a DNS page, however it doesn't allow us to edit the default DNS servers. I'm hoping Rogers is working on allowing us to change the DNS servers. 

gp-se
I'm an advisor

Anyone notice that the XB6 is broadcasting 7 WiFi SSID's!

4 on 2.4Ghz

3 on 5Ghz

Why does it need to broadcast so many SSID's? Also I've noticed when my Apple devices (iPhone/iPad/MacBook) sleeps it will disconnect from WiFi, this only started happening within the last 2 weeks. Software/settings on iOS haven't changed, but I noticed this started when they changed the firmware on the XB6 changed parent controls to show ignitewifi.rogers.com

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gp-se wrote:

Anyone notice that the XB6 is broadcasting 7 WiFi SSID's!

4 on 2.4Ghz

3 on 5Ghz

Yes, I've been griping about this for the past year.  5 of those SSIDs (3 in the 2.4 GHz band; 2 in the 5 GHz band) will remain active even with Bridge Mode enabled.

Why does it need to broadcast so many SSID's? Also I've noticed when my Apple devices (iPhone/iPad/MacBook) sleeps it will disconnect from WiFi, this only started happening within the last 2 weeks. Software/settings on iOS haven't changed, but I noticed this started when they changed the firmware on the XB6 changed parent controls to show ignitewifi.rogers.com

I haven't gone so far as to hack and unmask the SSID names and it is not easy finding out exactly what these are for.  All I know is that Rogers insists that they are necessary for current and future services and they cannot be disabled.  It has been confirmed that 2 of those are for the TV "Lost & Found" (LnF) service, I think two may be to support a Home Security service, and another remains a mystery.  (Access for Field Techs?  Future public Wi-Fi hotspot?)

Topic Stats