Throttling RTMP to Twitch

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Throttling RTMP to Twitch

Thanks Rogers, for selling me business gigabit, but also not letting me run my business. Nothing like over half of my packets just being destroyed in transit. Quality firmware, quality network, for sure no congestion or traffic manipulation.

image.png

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Neko_ wrote:

Thanks Rogers, for selling me business gigabit, but also not letting me run my business. Nothing like over half of my packets just being destroyed in transit. Quality firmware, quality network, for sure no congestion or traffic manipulation.

image.png

Does your business involve RTMP?  Twitch?

Actually, I don't know what Rogers means by "business internet".  How is it different from home internet?  The page I saw is very weak on details. https://www.rogers.com/small-business/products-and-solutions/business-internet

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@ONYX1222 wrote:
Sorry I meant refused to provide an standalone modem

They supply a modem fused with a router.  The cost to them is probably not much different from the cost of a modem alone.  And they probably get a lot of advantages by not having to support twice as many device models.

It's pretty easy to turn off the router part ("bridge mode").

(When I first subscribed to Rogers@Home (as it was then called), the modem had no router, there were no consumer routers available, and using a router was against Rogers terms of service.  But I used  a PC running Linux as a router anyway.  Still do.)

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@ONYX1222 wrote:

Rogers firware is throttling/limiting all applications through modem

The solution was 35T1 going forward but allowed for more bandwidth that Rogers wants to provide to it's customers....poor practices to save a few bucks in bandwidth which is pricey but not an adequate reason for a quality connection with some oomph ya know more ballsy and consistent and reliable. The red flags happened long ago when Rogers cause to provide a standalone modem. But why, there is an equally higher or equal demand for it from their customer base.

Hitron modems and gateways are fantastic and consistent without the Rogerss limiting firmware from mine and a lot of other customers. I can guarantee their customer base will grow considerably if better bandwidth allotment provided to their customers and better optimization to it's network having providing reliable quality service, no limitations/throttling by network teams provisions that are currently being used in their network and routing beyond the network, IMO is far more important in the real world of internet use on all platforms and devices. Spain France Portugal don't have any problems whatsoever while us gullible Canadians will accept a 50% quality to it's internet services Thanks for listening to my own opinions of course. Hopefully soon Rogers, here is your chance to win a back customers and revenues. Get em Rogers make the change and you won't regret it, you can increase rates to your higher tiers if required to help cover costs for the greater cleaner bandwidth provided and substantiated by great service Thank you, Rogers get em all now 😁

You make a number of specific claims that I suspect you cannot prove.  Why not stick to what you can actually observe as a user?  There are enough observables that could support discontent.

I don't imagine that you can prove that Rogers firmware for Hitron models is (1) slower and (2) intentionally so.  My guess is that any intentional throttling lives elsewhere in the system.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Still a major issue, tried a test stream on youtube and 0 dropped frames for 30 minutes, tried a test stream on twitch right after and couldn't average more than 1000 bitrate.

While youtube was handling 15000+ bitrate.

Rogers, please.

Stop throttling.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Still unable to stream.

Constant framedrops even at 1000 bitrate, as a viewer, it buffers every 10 seconds.

PLEASE FIX!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Only if I had Bell fibre in my area, I would drop Rogers in a heartbeat.

I'm honestly even thinking of giving Fibe100 a try, 10 upload might even be better than Rogers "30mb" upload, which is 1-5mb upload realistically.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

150u Ignite user here w/ CGNM-3552 bridged with an Archer C7 router. I have been pretty satisfied with the promised speeds and consistency in everything but Twitch.

Like everyone else here, I am getting drops in bitrate to Twitch. Dropped frames tend to hover around 15% @ 5000kb/s. I should note that Twitch streams tend to buffer fairly often.

Using NordVPN did not affect the results.

I tried streaming to other platforms today. YouTube has a 24-hour "preparation" period, but I was able to find success with Facebook Live. I was able to stream a consistent 5000 bitrate with 0.2% dropped frames over a 24 minute period (small time frame, I know). The URL Facebook provides has RTMP in it, so I'm assuming it is a RTMP stream.

For anyone interested in testing via Facebook, there's a sort of preview page; nothing will show up on your feed until you actually press Go Live.

I'll post my results with YouTube as soon as I get the chance to.

If this isn't fixed soon, I'm switching to Bell (whether or not this is an intentional throttling issue, routing issue, or poor choice of modem). They put up fiber lines in my neighbourhood recently and have been aggressively calling and doing door-to-door. Their prices are usually only good for a year though.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink

I just wanted to let you know about my findings.

I just tested the bitrate to YouTube. From my findings, both Facebook and YouTube livestreams use RTMP and they work spectacularly (<1% dropped frames for Facebook, 0.1% for YouTube).

I'm fairly certain that Rogers is throttling Twitch traffic, but there's no way to be completely sure. I understand that everyone's set-up and circumstances are different, and that this does not rule out any Puma6 related issues.

If you would like to see a video, I can record the OBS client with a few minutes on each platform (Twitch, YouTube, Facebook). Although the sample size will be small, you can immediately tell the difference.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hello,

I am currently on the 150 ignite plan, with a CGNM 3552.

I am mainly experiencing 2 problems:

1. Latency spikes in TCP-based applications (namely, Blade and Soul), which I believe to be a Puma 6 issue

2. Twitch streaming (both inconsistent upload bitrate, and download buffering), which I believe to be throttling, or a routing issue, as Facebook and YouTube streaming is impeccable and without problems

I am seeking advice on how to remedy these issues, I have tried every troubleshooting step reasonably possible, and don't see any other things to try other than installing a trial firmware, or swapping modems.

As far as I know, the CGNM 3552 is incompatible with the 4.5.8.27 firmware that appeared to fix a lot of latency issues for others (although in my case, the changelogs clearly state that the improvements in earlier revisions affect ICMP and NOT TCP). If anyone has any suggestions on which firmware trials to test, I'm all ears.

In regards to switching modems to the non Puma 6 modem (CODA 4582), I gave technical support a call, and they said it's possible to get the CODA on the 150u plan, but that would depend on the store. I called my local Rogers Plus store and they said that the only way I can get the CODA is by overriding the system via the loyalty department. I give the loyalty department a call and they said that the only way I would get the CODA is by paying a $50 service fee so that a technician can come and install the modem (as a way to "bypass" the system).

Technical support concluded that the steps I have taken to troubleshoot my problems were sufficient and offered to send a technician to check my home of "dead-spots" (despite my repeated explanations that I am on ethernet). Additionally, they said that I would be charged $50 if they were to find any problems with splitters and the like. To my knowledge I don't have any of those cable splitters installed, but I chose to postpone the visit because this is likely a modem issue, and a throttling/routing issue. At the end of the day, the technician will do their business, and tell me that everything is fine on Rogers end and to contact Twitch. That, and I don't want to be baited into random fees and service charges, given that most of us are stuck with defective modems and all.

So yeah, I'm really at my wit's end here. I apologize if this sounds like a rant, I don't know what else to do. If anyone has any suggestions on what else to try, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you