cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers & PlayStation Issue

Tad
I'm here a lot

Currently on Ignite 1 Gbps plan. Modem is an XB7 and I use that equipment (don't have my own third party router). Seems that since the end of January I've been having issues connecting to online play with either my PS4 or PS5. Every time I have to log into a game it gives me certain error codes for example WV-109144-9 "Unable to connect to server" And I've tried most steps on PlayStation's support on that error code e.g., updating console, connecting it via ethernet (yes, same issue happens when PS5 is directly connected to the modem via ethernet), changed settings as suggested on Sony's support, restart my modem, RESET my modem from factory settings but the issue persists. At this point I'm assuming Rogers has changed something on the back end to prevent these consoles for online play. My PC and Switch have no issues. I've tried with a Rogers tech to see if they could assist me with my issue but we couldn't figure it out. Maybe I'm, missing something? Or if someone else experiences something similar I'm curious to know what solutions (if any) you've done. 

16 REPLIES 16

Re: Rogers & PlayStation Issue

RogersZia

Good evening @Tad,

Welcome to the Community!

While I am not familiar with the set up, I'll be happy to tag our fellow Resident Experts for their insights. @-G-, @Datalink would guys please take a look at this post?

RogersZia

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I searched for playstation on the Xfinity Forum and it looks like others are experiencing similar issues: https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/your-home-network/sony-playstation-5/63f44c2f42546f76d9f305...

Unfortunately, I don't have a PS5 (or any modern gaming system) so I can't test this or offer any assistance.

Tad
I'm here a lot

Thank you @RogersZia. Just a note, both consoles seem to have a software update today. However, the issue still persists. I've looked through those posts in the links provided (Thank you! @-G- ). Seems I'll have to try adding a port forwarding rule. I'll give it a shot. I'm just at a loss as to why that's been happening over the past few weeks... never really had an issue prior.

bozoli
I've been here awhile
Try test-ipv6.com
If after the test you go up the Test Run tab and everything is "ok" or "bad" you don't have IPv6 enabled and I would expect to be ok (youe devices will just use IPv4). If the results are "ok" and "timeout" you are facing the same issue as myself with your modem with IPv6 enabled but for some reason not working properly, so some apps and devices keep trying to use IPv6 if this is an option and will always timeout and fail.

Sadly you can't disable IPv6 on this modem. Rogers is aware of this issue but have no solution so far. They plan to replace my modem with an old one soon to see if it's a valid workaround.

@bozoli fwiw, here's an article on the Playstation 5 and its use of IPV6:

IPv6 support in the PlayStation 5 | ~tore (toreanderson.github.io)

It would be far better if Sony wrote a meaningful description of how the Playstation 5 used IPV6, but, apparently not.  Searching thru the Playstation site turns up zero items on IPV6.  So be it. 

Can you have a quick look at that article.  I'm wondering, if, when you're having trouble online, if the Playstation 5 continues to display an IPV6 address at the top of the View Connection Status page of the network settings, as shown in that article?  Maybe the IPV6 path fails at some point but the Playstation continues to display an IPV6 address??

If you suspect any issues with IPV6, on a pc or laptop, run the following command:

tracert -6 www.google.com

What you're looking for is a continuous trace, from the modem out to google.  You might end up with a time out here or there, but, the trace should complete all the way to the end target which is google. 

If the trace only shows the modem and then times out from there, or it shows the modem and CMTS (hop #2) and then times out from there, that indicates a problem at the CMTS, specifically with the CMTS IPV6 configuration.  Rogers has a long but little known history of CMTS IPV6 configuration problems.  This relates to the path data in a trace for example that is returned from the CMTS to the device.  This problem is hard to detect if you don't know about it and harder yet to convince anyone at Rogers that there's an issue with the CMTS.  You need to be talking with a Level II tech if you find that there is an issue with the IPV6 return data.  The Level I techs and field techs will not understand what you're talking about.  What usually happens is that the transmitted data travels out beyond the CMTS to the end target, but, the return data is blocked at the CMTS by a faulty configuration.  The end result is that the trace will appear to timeout. Same with any IPV6 data from any other server.  Of course there may be other ways for the IPV6 data to fail at the CMTS, but the effect might be the same, that the data fails appears to fail at the CMTS.  The CMTS will issue an IPV6 address to the modem or router, which in turn manages / negotiates the IPV6 addresses for each device.  Its more likely that the CMTS issues the IPV6 prefix and the devices on the network determine their full IPV6 address when they have the required prefix.  So, you can have a full IPV6 address for the devices on the network, but, the CMTS will not allow any IPV6 data to return to the device.  

Now if this was occurring, I'd expect you to see issues with other devices.  That will depend on the ability of the device to fallback to IPV4 operation.  Cell Phones have an issue with this, specifically with What's App and Google services (?).  Its been a while since this has come up so I don't remember the list of apps that are affected, and its not all cell phones.  I think Google Pixels are prone to this, but, again I don't remember the specifics.  In the case of cell phones running via wifi, if IPV6 is available they will use IPV6.  If IPV6 path to or from the external server fails at some point the phone is supposed to failover to IPV4.  Some phones don't do this successfully, and as a result the applications will fail.  That's an IPV6 failure and a failure of the phone to fall back to IPV4, not an application failure. 

So, keep this in mind and go hunting for a CMTS IPV6 failure.  I don't know what will happen with a connected pc or laptop.  If you run an ipconfig command, it should show either an IPV6 preferred address or an IPV4 preferred address.  Even without a real IPV6 address available, the ipconfig or ipconfig/all command will show a local IPV6 address.  That's not a true "online" address.  The question here is whether or not the modem will fail the IPV6 address deliberately if its detects a problem with the IPV6 path?  Does it even detect a problem?  If it doesn't, then any device that relies on the modem to supply an IPV6 address will set the priority in the device as IPV6 first, IPV4 second.  If the device is smart enough to detect an issue, then it will fall back to IPV4 on its own.  If its not smart enough, then it will continue to attempt to use IPV6.  So, its possible that devices such as a laptop or pc are smart enough to figure this out, but the Playstation isn't.  

I hope you can follow what I'm saying here.  There are a few parts to this, where devices may have their own capability to fall back to IPV4, without indicating that there's an IPV6 failure.  They will continue to chug along using IPV4 and might continue to show an IPV6 address as the priority address.

So, you need to go hunting outside of the network by using a trace command and possibly a ping command.  If there was an IPV6 failure at the CMTS, I would expect the IPV6 test at test-ipv6.com to fail, without being able to tell you why or where the failure is occurring. 

Edit:  If you swap back to an older modem such as the Hitron CODA-4582, you will have to change the Router Mode from Dual to IPV4.  The default Router mode is Dual mode, IPV6 and IPV4.  That's how it will boot up.  After the modem is set up and running, navigate to the Gateway Function and change the Router Mode from Dual to IPV4 only.  Save the changes.  The modem will take two to three minutes to change to IPV4 mode only.  Even with that change, reboot the modem, which is located at Administration .... Device Reset .... Reboot.  While the modem is rebooting, reboot the Playstation as well so that it only has an IPV4 address after the reboot. It will probably show a link local IPV6 address which is typical as it won't have the Rogers IPV6 prefix available. 

crescendo97
I plan to stick around
I'm having this same issue! Did you ever get it resolved?

crescendo97
I plan to stick around
If I enabled bridge mode which would disable ipv6, connection with online ps5 games works. But that is a serious issue! How do we work around this Rogers? I can't have bridge running all the time.

Tad
I'm here a lot

Thanks for sharing! I'll definitely see if I can follow along through this. Gives me a learning opportunity too once I get the chance.

I wouldn't say resolved per say. To the average consumer following along and checking out network configurations and such to troubleshoot can become really complicated. I assume bridge mode... and purchasing a separate router altogether and disabling necessary settings to make Playstations work without the hassle is one option.

bozoli
I've been here awhile

Hey guys,

My issues with IPv6 were solved last week. The Rogers technician that visited me in March sent me a SMS saying it was fixed and it was for my case.

Just to be clear, I don't own a PlayStation but the issue looks similar for me with several Apps in my phone and my Google Home not working for almost 3 months due to the IPv6 issues.

Glad to hear it @bozoli!

Thank you for coming back to update us. 🙂

Regards,

RogersCorey

Tad
I'm here a lot

I see. So this might have to warrant a rogers technician to come in. (If they can even troubleshoot that is... I've tried to avoid calling a person in as I havent had a decent experience with them before and it's pretty hard to coordinate some time everyone in the house will be willing to have internet downtime). Shame as I've gotten so used to just disconnecting reconnecting the consoles till it actually works. Whatever the "fix" might be I hope it's consistent!

Greetings @Tad!

Thank you for your contributions to our Community! 🙌 I'm saddened to hear about what occured when you called in.  It's most certainly not the type of experience we want you to be having. I know firsthand how imperative it is to ensure you stay connected and we're here to help! 

I just want to mention that we have a plethora of ways to connect with us aside from calling in via phone. You can connect with us via the following platforms.

Alternatively, feel free to connect with us by sending a private message @CommunityHelps and we'll be happy to have a gander for you. Feel free to check out this blog if you're not familiar with our PM system.

Regards, 

RogersJo

Mox
I've been around
go to your iPhone settings, go to your WiFi
Be sure to be on the WiFi (no data), look for router addressType that address to google. Log in to your router
If first time should be admin and password is (password) then you’ll be able to edit your V6 to V4 on your PlayStation device if connected through LAN LINE. I did this and it solved the issue.

Tad
I'm here a lot

Thanks Max! I've been meaning to post a solution on here since it's been fixed on my end as well after tweaking some settings. Solution: Login to 10.0.0.1 Go to connection > local IP network Under IPv6, uncheck “Stateful (use dhcp server)” Save and reboot router. (Cred isnt mine I've just done some reddit digging**) And now both my PS4 and PS5 whether wired or through wifi with Rogers Ignite modem works as it should be. Has been working as it should for the past month and a bit.

Jtizz
I've been around
I have done this and still won’t connect!! Been since December same problem works fine if I hot spot from my phone!! anymore help would be great I’ll reset everything when I get home from work and try again
Topic Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 11 Likes
  • 10 in conversation