Ignite WiFi Gateway Modem XB7 (Gen 2)

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tyreman
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Ignite WiFi Gateway Modem XB7 (Gen 2)

I also have my router set to iPV4 and iPV6 to work together selected from the drop down tab

sm30
I Plan to Stick Around

Does anyone know what the orange/red mark means on port 4 of the XB7 modem?

xb7-eports.jpg

tyreman
I Plan to Stick Around

isn't that the 2.5 gigabit connection

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sm30 @tyreman that port is a 2.5 Gb/s port.  So, you would need a router or switch, depending on your network layout, that has a mult-gig port capable of running 2.5 Gb/s.  Some of the newer Asus routers have a 2.5 Gb/s port.  there are switches out now that run 1/2.5/5/10 Mb/s.  Note that these are built under a new ethernet standard, so, you can't run a mulit-gig 10 Gb/s port into a traditional 10 Gb/s port. 

Here's a couple of new Trendnet 2.5 Gb/s switches as examples:

https://www.trendnet.com/products/2-5g-switch/5-port-unmanaged-2-5g-switch-TEG-S350

https://www.trendnet.com/products/2-5g-switch/8-port-unmanaged-2-5g-switch-TEG-S380

Netgear also has multi-gig switches out but I believe that the Trendnet switches are the lowest cost multi-gig switches on the market today.  

https://www.netgear.com/business/wired/switches/multi-gig/

Mrcanada1968
I Plan to Stick Around

Isn’t Rogers top tier internet speed only 1 Gbps currently though?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes but I've seen a post where a PC with a multi-gig ethernet port was running up to 1.2Gb/s on a speedtest instead of the 940 Mb/s that you see thru a gigabit port.  So it looks like Rogers does overprovision the top gigabit tier but you won't see that thru a gigabit port.

The XB7 would allow Rogers to compete with Bell's top 1.5 GB/s plan, at least until Bell rolls out their 5Gb/s plan which they have indicated they will do this year from what I remember reading.

sm30
I Plan to Stick Around

Strange you would think port 1 would be the 2.5 Gb/s.

I currently have the XB7 in bridge mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Would you recommend or would it make sense I switch from port 1 to port 4?

tyreman
I Plan to Stick Around

I would stay 1
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sm30 wrote:

Strange you would think port 1 would be the 2.5 Gb/s.

The 2.5 GigE port on the XB7 gateway can also be configured as an Ethernet WAN port and used for high-speed connectivity to an external ONT with a FTTH service.  It is numbered as Port 4 and has a distinctive mark since it is a special-purpose port that is a bit different from the others, not just due to its higher speed.

I currently have the XB7 in bridge mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Would you recommend or would it make sense I switch from port 1 to port 4?

If the R7000 only has GigE ports, you won't gain anything with this change.