New Rogers FTTH Service

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

New Rogers FTTH Service

Well, this is interesting.  Just saw our first glimpse of an actual, modern Rogers FTTH service:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r33078351-Internet-Finally-Rogers-FTTH-has-arrived

The picture shows a Nokia XS-020X-A ONT for connectivity.  I think the service is based on XGS-PON although Rogers may or may not offer a symmetric service.  Regardless, when this service finally arrives, it means good-bye, DOCSIS.

Apparently, Rogers will still provide an XB7 gateway.  The XB7's 2.5 GigE port will need to be configured as a WAN port and the XB7 must operate in gateway mode.

For "Bridge Mode" users, who prefer to use their own network gear, it will be interesting to see whether you can connect both an XB7 gateway AND your own router to the ONT.  Looks like the service will run just fine with your own router, so you can probably do away with the XB7 if you are an Internet-only customer.  Not sure what impact this may have on Ignite TV.  Ignite Home Phone still requires an Ignite Gateway.

(I'm still a bit surprised that Rogers did not go with a 10 Gigabit EPON service.  I also wasn't expecting to see the Nokia hardware.  Not that it isn't a fine choice... just not what I was expecting to see.)

***Edited Labels***

RogersTony

Re: New Rogers FTTH Service

Hello, @-G-

Thanks so much for posting this exciting news!

I know how awesome it is to use the latest and best technologies. A true fibre optic network will generate some pretty impressive speeds once it has been fully rolled out.

Once we have more details on how things will look we'll be sure to update the community.

RogersTony

timlocke
I Plan to Stick Around

Awesome! I expect that it will be some time before it reaches, if it ever does, my street in Guelph by=ut it is nice to know it is being done somewhere.
stepy2015
I Plan to Stick Around

I am very interested in this as I have been experiencing a lot of trouble with ping spikes over the last year and I use pfSense, it would be nice to completely get rid of the modem but I guess we will still need it since we have home phone. Unless Rogers is willing to provide some sort of ethernet VoIP gateway device I could plugin behind my own router 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@stepy2015 wrote:

I am very interested in this as I have been experiencing a lot of trouble with ping spikes over the last year and I use pfSense, it would be nice to completely get rid of the modem but I guess we will still need it since we have home phone. Unless Rogers is willing to provide some sort of ethernet VoIP gateway device I could plugin behind my own router 

I can't see Rogers ever providing or supporting such a configuration for residential Home Phone, but who knows.  You also always have the option of purchasing your own VoIP ATA and using a service such as voip.ms.

Will also be interesting to see what hardware Rogers eventually offers to their Business customers.