Ignite WiFi Gateway Modem XB7 (Gen 2)

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Ignite WiFi Gateway Modem XB7 (Gen 2)

@Draconix wrote:

I should have mentioned that I'm on the Gigabit Plan, and I always used a wired Cat6 Ethernet connection. My max download speed on the CODA was 100 Megabytes per second. My max download speed on the XB7 is ~65 Megabytes per second but it usually fluctuates between 30 Mb/s and 60 Mb/s, with huge spikes showing in Task Manager.

I'll test a direct connection to the modem later tonight when I have more time. As for the "Uncorrectable Codewords", everything is 0 except for column 32 which shows the number 25. Were the XB6 Bridge Mode issues fixed? If so then Rogers should look into the XB7 as it's probably a similar problem. I'm assuming this can be fixed by a firmware update at some point?

Thanks for clarifying that.  Yes, the XB6 issues did get resolved.  It took some time but it did get fixed with a firmware update. 

Your power levels on the downstream channels are a little high but still well within the acceptable range.  No issues with the error stats either.  The huge number of Correctable errors on the D3.1 channel is normal and expected.

Be sure to use the "Computer -- Your Router -- XB7 -- Rogers Network" arrangement when performing the speed tests, so that the only thing that changes is enabling/disabling Bridge Mode on the XB7.  That way, nobody can point to your router for slowing down the connection.

The other weird thing about the XB6 issue was that the problem only manifested after rebooting the XB6 while Bridge Mode was enabled.  If you rebooted in Gateway mode, then enabled Bridge Mode after, the XB6 ran at full speed.  If you rebooted again with Bridge Mode enabled, things would slow down again.  I have not heard whether this "workaround" works with the XB7.

If you do get full speed in Gateway mode (Bridge Mode disabled) be sure to report it to Rogers and please update us here as well.

Best of luck with your testing and troubleshooting!

Draconix
I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you for your help, I was able to do some testing and with your recommendation I kept the connection as is (going through the Asus RT-AC86U). Unfortunately the results seem to be about the same, with file download speeds still fluctuating between ~35 MB/s and ~60 MB/s. The only thing that shows a good speed is Speedtest.net (at ~900 Mbps) but that doesn't help me with real file downloads. The CODA modem did well on Speedtest.net too, but also gave me excellent real file downloads at around 90 to 100 MB/s. I took some screenshots of my Task Manager during file downloads and Speedtest.net:

Speedtest.net with Bridge Mode still on:
https://i.imgur.com/JMepODQ.png

File download test with Bridge Mode still on:
https://i.imgur.com/Jz2Wpjo.png

File download test after turning off Bridge Mode:
https://i.imgur.com/02p6LE9.png

I rebooted the modem and router with Bridge Mode still off:
https://i.imgur.com/DLGU54B.png

The CODA modem showed a nice consistent download speed in the Task Manager. I am almost 100% sure that the router is not a fault here, because the RT-AC86U has been extremely solid for me and it performed exceptionally well when paired with the CODA-4582. I still wonder if I got a defective XB7 because I've read lots of praise for the Technicolor XB6 and XB7 for its use of the Broadcom chipset. I think my latency in games is slightly more consistent than the CODA's Intel Puma 7, but the download speeds are significantly worse.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Draconix wrote:

Thank you for your help, I was able to do some testing and with your recommendation I kept the connection as is (going through the Asus RT-AC86U). Unfortunately the results seem to be about the same, with file download speeds still fluctuating between ~35 MB/s and ~60 MB/s. The only thing that shows a good speed is Speedtest.net (at ~900 Mbps) but that doesn't help me with real file downloads. The CODA modem did well on Speedtest.net too, but also gave me excellent real file downloads at around 90 to 100 MB/s. I took some screenshots of my Task Manager during file downloads and Speedtest.net:

What results do you get with your computer directly connected to the XB7 gateway, with Bridge Mode disabled?

Have you also tried running your tests with a different computer and/or with a different web browser?

It's hard to say what the problem actually is without analysing the network traffic with sophisticated tools.

You can also infer what the problem might be by looking at the download progress indicator.  (Is the download progress bursty, or appear to start/stop randomly?  Is it slower but steady?  Does it slow down over time?)

The CODA modem showed a nice consistent download speed in the Task Manager. I am almost 100% sure that the router is not a fault here, because the RT-AC86U has been extremely solid for me and it performed exceptionally well when paired with the CODA-4582. I still wonder if I got a defective XB7 because I've read lots of praise for the Technicolor XB6 and XB7 for its use of the Broadcom chipset. I think my latency in games is slightly more consistent than the CODA's Intel Puma 7, but the download speeds are significantly worse.

Unfortunately, too much of what is out there comes from people with emotional/confirmation bias, flawed test methodologies, or who only have half a clue about what they are talking about.  (There is also no shortage of bad advice out there when it comes to optimizing networks or making performance tweaks to Microsoft Windows.)

The Puma 6 chipset deserves its bad reputation.  The problems may have been fixed to a large extent but issues still persist.  The Puma 7 is a different chipset.

The Broadcom BCM3390 chipset is generally well-regarded but there is no guarantee that the product using it will be good.

Latency and jitter will always be an issue on residential networks carrying mixed traffic; it will vary with traffic loads in your area and can also be made worse when Rogers (or any service provider) makes network changes that don't work out quite as well as they hoped.

A defective modem is always a possibility.  However, if you are just going to use the XB7 in bridge mode, you will be better off switching to the (slightly older but much more stable) XB6.

Draconix
I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you for the info, I'll definitely consider switching to the XB6 if I can't get this issue sorted out. I think that I might have figured out what is causing the slower download speed though. The previous CODA-4582 modem definitely had OFDM enabled and working, and I'm pretty sure that OFDM isn't working on the XB7 because it says NA. Could you look at the end of this chart and verify the OFDM in the last column?

591 MHz
279 MHz
849 MHz
855 MHz
861 MHz
579 MHz
585 MHz
597 MHz
603 MHz
609 MHz
615 MHz
621 MHz
633 MHz
639 MHz
645 MHz
651 MHz
657 MHz
663 MHz
669 MHz
675 MHz
681 MHz
687 MHz
693 MHz
699 MHz
705 MHz
711 MHz
717 MHz
723 MHz
825 MHz
831 MHz
837 MHz
843 MHz
43.3 dB
42.0 dB
42.4 dB
42.5 dB
42.6 dB
43.0 dB
43.4 dB
43.6 dB
43.3 dB
43.4 dB
42.8 dB
43.6 dB
43.7 dB
43.1 dB
43.1 dB
42.8 dB
43.0 dB
43.2 dB
43.5 dB
43.0 dB
43.4 dB
43.1 dB
43.5 dB
43.6 dB
43.6 dB
43.2 dB
43.4 dB
43.1 dB
42.5 dB
42.3 dB
42.3 dB
42.1 dB
NA
5.1 dBmV
3.7 dBmV
4.3 dBmV
3.5 dBmV
4.2 dBmV
4.3 dBmV
5.6 dBmV
6.2 dBmV
5.1 dBmV
5.9 dBmV
4.9 dBmV
5.8 dBmV
5.9 dBmV
4.5 dBmV
5.1 dBmV
4.1 dBmV
4.9 dBmV
4.4 dBmV
5.4 dBmV
4.4 dBmV
5.2 dBmV
4.4 dBmV
5.2 dBmV
5.2 dBmV
5.5 dBmV
4.8 dBmV
5.5 dBmV
4.8 dBmV
4.7 dBmV
3.7 dBmV
4.3 dBmV
3.3 dBmV
NA
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
OFDM
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Draconix  See my response to your similar post in this thread.

I just checked my XB6 and it also shows NA in the Power and SNR stats on the downstream OFDM channel.  However, my "CM Error Codewords" stats are still incrementing so that channel appears to be active.

brianzheng
I've Been Here Awhile

I got my XB7 today, and it seems like it is actually slower than the old CODA modem. The speed is most noticeable when devices are farther away from the modem. I have both CODA and XB7 on the first floor, same spot. I used to get ~500mbps on Wi-Fi with my laptop upstairs. Now it gets about 280mbps on the XB7. Same thing with the basements. I used to get ~430mbps, but now I'm down to about 120mbps on the XB7. I get about one bar less signal with the XB7 than the CODA in my basement or 2nd floor. 

I looked at the specs, and it seems like the XB7 has half the 5GHz antenna as the XB6 (4 vs 8). Is that the cause? I'm pretty disappointed that the XB7 is actually slower.

I also can only get a 1.2Gbps link rate on Wi-Fi 6 instead of 2.4Gbps. 

tyreman
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes Datalink you are quite correct.......

I did look and Rogers iPTV is connected on the rear of the 68U router 

I posted that wrong

I will see if i can correct that

The ethernet cable going to the Rogers  iPTV box is 50' of Blue Jeans Cable  Cat6

tyreman
I Plan to Stick Around

NOTE Correction:
Panasonic Plasma is running off 68U router port
As I dont see an edit function
I looked to be sure .....sorry for my incorrect post about it before
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

no problem 🙂   just wanted to make sure that anything connected via the modem's ethernet ports was going to be protected by a firewall further downstream.  

tyreman
I Plan to Stick Around

All Good