cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite Active time

jenka
I've been here awhile

A few weeks ago Discord could be seen under the Active section when my son was on his computer along with YouTube. It show "x" amount of hours for each.
Now it's been a week and Discord does not show anymore and YouTube says only 5-10 mins. However his connection to the router says 15-17 hrs.
How can he hide the website? He doesn't have the password to the router and I changed it from the standard default does a VPN on his personal computer mask Discord from ignites Active times?
As well, he changed to a new computer because a different IP address popped up and his old computer doesn't connect to the router anymore.
He sleeps all day and is up all night.

**Labels Added**

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Ignite Active time

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jenka I doubt that the modem logs would show anything.  You would need a real router which has the capabilIty to capture inbound and outbound traffic IP addresses.  Even then, given the number of VPN companies and number of IP addresses that are available to each company, it would be difficult to determine exactly which VPN company he's using.  Point to keep in mind, the vast majority of VPNs are pay to use products which would require a credit card.  Only exception I can think of might be Firefox but don't quote me on that one.  There might be other freebie VPN providers out there as well.  

When he changed to a new computer, did you add that computers IP address to his profile.  I'm assuming that you're using the new Ignite system with the Comcast XB6 or XB7 modem.  The only way to block any traffic to that new computer would be to change his profile.  

There are probably two ways to defeat the time controls of the modem, change the computers MAC address, which can be done, or use a VPN.  

Just to note, a common problem with all parental or time controls on a modem or router is that they are typically designed to stop any new external connections during the designated time period.  Any existing connections to outside servers that are running when the time rule goes into effect will typically keep running as long as the pc is connected to the same IP addresses.  Any new connections to any other IP addresses wouldn't work.  This is assuming that the time control is working in the first place.  

If you were to reboot the modem just after the time control period starts, that might cut your son off, depending of course on the computers MAC address or any use of a VPN. 

The one way to defeat this would be to buy a router specifically for your son, which you would control.  Funnel all of his traffic, ethernet and wifi thru that router and change the wifi passwords on the modem so that he can't access the modem's wifi.  Use the routers MAC address as an additional entry in his profile.  See if that works.  If that still doesn't accomplish the task, due to the inability to cut off existing external connections, put the router on a mechanical power timer, set to enable or disable the power to the router as you see fit. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

RogersTony

Hello, @jenka

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

Thank you for posting your concern to the community. I know how important it is to manage your kids screen time and internet usage.

If there is a VPN in use on the device they are using, the parental control features may not work as expected including the usage statistics.

I hope this helps!

RogersTony

jenka
I've been here awhile
So if he has a VPN on his computer than rogers ignite Active settings will not show anything?
Is there a way to see thru the router logs if a vpn is being used.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jenka I doubt that the modem logs would show anything.  You would need a real router which has the capabilIty to capture inbound and outbound traffic IP addresses.  Even then, given the number of VPN companies and number of IP addresses that are available to each company, it would be difficult to determine exactly which VPN company he's using.  Point to keep in mind, the vast majority of VPNs are pay to use products which would require a credit card.  Only exception I can think of might be Firefox but don't quote me on that one.  There might be other freebie VPN providers out there as well.  

When he changed to a new computer, did you add that computers IP address to his profile.  I'm assuming that you're using the new Ignite system with the Comcast XB6 or XB7 modem.  The only way to block any traffic to that new computer would be to change his profile.  

There are probably two ways to defeat the time controls of the modem, change the computers MAC address, which can be done, or use a VPN.  

Just to note, a common problem with all parental or time controls on a modem or router is that they are typically designed to stop any new external connections during the designated time period.  Any existing connections to outside servers that are running when the time rule goes into effect will typically keep running as long as the pc is connected to the same IP addresses.  Any new connections to any other IP addresses wouldn't work.  This is assuming that the time control is working in the first place.  

If you were to reboot the modem just after the time control period starts, that might cut your son off, depending of course on the computers MAC address or any use of a VPN. 

The one way to defeat this would be to buy a router specifically for your son, which you would control.  Funnel all of his traffic, ethernet and wifi thru that router and change the wifi passwords on the modem so that he can't access the modem's wifi.  Use the routers MAC address as an additional entry in his profile.  See if that works.  If that still doesn't accomplish the task, due to the inability to cut off existing external connections, put the router on a mechanical power timer, set to enable or disable the power to the router as you see fit. 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not 100% sure that the rogers time controls work exactly that way @Datalink, at least from experience.
We have my son's stuff set up.. there is a cut off from 8:30 to 9 (to make sure he realizes to go to school)
As well as a 9:30-Midnight to make sure he goes to sleep.

While if he was streaming something, might get a min or two out of it due to whats buffered.. it does completely cut him off from active connections to thing, as well as starting new things.  The device does show still connected to wifi, etc.  Just wont connect to anything.
My guess, is it blocks off ANY/ALL connections through that devices MAC address.

Assuming that the person doesnt change their MAC address, that part of the controls, as long as the device is added to the right 'profile' which has the controls, should still work.

Any of the OTHER stuff though.. that might be a different story?  The Discord traffic, etc.. if using a VPN, it might not be seeing that specific packet data to be able to track it, etc.

But, having a VPN on, shouldnt change the the complete stopping of the internet, etc through the controls.. as even with the VPN, the same MAC is connecting to the router.

jenka
I've been here awhile

My router from Rogers Ignite says Technicolour CGM4140COM.   So not sure if this router is an older one or a newer version.  

I'm thinking I'll just have to turn the entire internet off after midnight.  Its ridiculous situation.  He is 28 yrs old.  Only taking college part time and its online.  Time to get a job.  LOL

Anyway, thanks for your help.

jenka
I've been here awhile

Thanks for your reply.  I'm thinking I'll just turn the entire internet off after midnight.  Guy is up all night and sleeping most of the day.  28 yr old part time college.  Come on!  Tire of it.  Its not healthy.  

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 in conversation