cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitron CGN3 WMM(QOS) greyed out

Geezup
I plan to stick around

I recently noticed when changing settings on my modem that the WMM(QOS) tab in the wireless settings is now greyed out and is on by default. I recently exchanged modems because this happened with my last one. I have been having issues as of late with my internet and was wondering if anyone else has this issue.

*** Added Labels ***

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Hitron CGN3 WMM(QOS) greyed out

RogersTony

Hello @Geezup,

I can understand how not having access to all of the Settings in your modem can be frustrating.

We definitely want to look into this for you to see what is going on. Can you confirm the exact type of modem you are using, is it the original CGN3 modem and also the Firmware version it's running? When was the last time you were able to edit the settings before noticing it was greyed out?

Some of our Resident Experts may be able to provide some insight on this I will be sure to tag them here: @Datalink, @Gdkitty, @gp-se.

We look forward to your response!

RogersTony

Geezup
I plan to stick around

Thanks for the response,

I received a new cgn3rog last week. The firmware is 4.5.8.37t12

I had this issue before so I replaced it with this modem. Yesterday it was fine but today it changed.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@Geezup wrote:

Thanks for the response,

I received a new cgn3rog last week. The firmware is 4.5.8.37t12

I had this issue before so I replaced it with this modem. Yesterday it was fine but today it changed.

I believe if you change some WiFi settings it will grey out QOS. You can try to reset the modem to factory defaults and see if QOS comes back, then change WiFi settings one by one until it's no longer available. However in general for WiFi you should use:

2.4Ghz: 

Channel: 1,6, or 11

Security: WPA 2 AES

Wireless Mode: Wireless N

Channel Width: 20Mhz

5Ghz:

Channel: 149+

Security: WPA2 AES

Wireless Mode: AC/N

Channel Width: 80Mhz

Also disable uPnP, and WEP Pushbutton. 

Lastly if you want true customizable QOS I suggest buying a third party router and putting your Rogers modem in bridge mode.

Geezup
I plan to stick around
I did do a factory reset and it changed nothing. What I am asking is is it normal for that to be happening all of a sudden. I tried calling about this issue and the techs didn't know why it was happening.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@Geezup wrote:
I did do a factory reset and it changed nothing. What I am asking is is it normal for that to be happening all of a sudden. I tried calling about this issue and the techs didn't know why it was happening.

I am not sure if it's normal, I run my modem in bridge mode. However if I recall when I had it in Gateway mode is has QOS WMM enabled as default. 

Geezup
I plan to stick around
Has anyone else noticed if it is greyed out on their modem? I find it odd because I spoke with three different techs over the phone and none of them new why it was greyed out. Can someone explain to me why it would be enabled by default?

RogersAndy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @Geezup!

My initial instinct would be that it's been enabled by default as testing may have indicated improved overall wireless performance. I haven't used the modem myself in some time but it's also plausible that it was enabled as a corrective measure from a previous firmware revision. 

If you are having WiFi issues within the home though that's certainly something we can assist with to identify what's causing it and provide some alternative solutions to improve overall connectivity. Are your wireless connection issues occurring in specific places within the home? Or anywhere including nearby the modem/same room?

@RogersAndy

Hey everyone the reason for the wmm(qos) is actually within the n mode for wireless if you remove n from the equation using b/g or either alone you are able to enable disable the setting my assumption some within the standards made this a reauirement

AClient
I've been here awhile
I’m having an issue with Spotify music stuttering (iPhone -> Apple TV4K -> Hitron Router via Ethernet). Members on a Spotify forum say that disabling WMM resolves the issue but that option is on by default and unable to edit (greyed out).
Does anyone know how to disable WMM on the Hitron router? and are there any ramifications to disabling WMM?

Good evening and welcome to the Rogers Community Forums @AClient,

Disabling WiFi Multimedia (WMM) can cause serious Internet slow down. While WMM is, indeed, designed to give priority to multimedia traffic, it is also required in order to use the high throughput link rates. When WMM is disabled, you can only get download speeds up to 54 Mbps. Therefore, you must leave WMM on. Additionally you cannot disable WMM on the current firmware.

Hope this helps!

RogersZia

AClient
I've been here awhile
Thank you for your message! Is there a way to solve the issue of music stuttering when streamed from iPhone to Apple TV? A Spotify forum suggested that disabling wmm would resolve the issue.

Hello, @AClient.

You're most welcome!

Have you tried connecting both your Apple TV and iPhone to the same WiFi network? You can unplug the Ethernet cable from the Apple TV and connect it to the 5G network. Also, make sure to connect your iPhone to the same 5G network. Now when you AirPlay your music to Apple TV hopefully, it plays without a stutter. 

Keep the Community posted. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

THECO
I've been around

How to DISABLE the WMM settting on a Rogers Hitron Router

LISTEN

I read and see a lot of chatter on this issue.

It's pretty simple - HOW DO YOU DO IT without all the blah blah blah.

Reason: Air Play constantly cuts out with new Apple iPod Mini Speakers and many other types of speakers using Spotify and other means of streaming.

So ROGERS - just the facts: HOW DOES ONE DO THIS?

Good evening @THECO,

Welcome to the Rogers Community & thank you for your post! Being able to manage your gateway settings is ideal in order to personalize your setup.

Unfortunately, it does not seem that you have the ability to bring changes to the menus that are greyed out. Have you thought of getting your own router and use your Hitron modem in bridge mode?

It would be your best bet if you want to bring changes to the settings. Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

Topic Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 10 in conversation