cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP Printer not connecting to Ignite WiFi with Gen2

Focused1
I've been around

Got Rogers Ignite WIFI Gateway Gen2 installed and since then all PCs, Tablets and Cell phones work but my HP Deskjet 3050 printer doesn't. Used USB cable to laptop and ran HP setup. Printer connected to network but it is awaiting an IP address before completing operation. Seems the Rogers Gateway Gen2 doesn't do this. I manually input an IP address to my printer but Ignite Gateway doesn't recognize it? Buying a new printer won't likely fix this problem??

Anyone got any ideas?

**Labels Added**

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: HP Printer not connecting to Ignite WiFi with Gen2

creativeblue
I plan to stick around

After having similar issues trying to connect my Brother L3370 printer to the Wifi, I tried about 10 approches without success (using a dedicated Reserved IP,  Enabling Discovery, Zero Config, etc).

The automatic band steering does not work for many electronic devices. 

The SOLUTION was to Split the Wireless Bands (2.4 G, 5 G) in the Router (you can also do it in the Wifi App). After splitting the bands, I was able to connect my Printer with the Setup Wizard, select Wifi Network, type Password.  A fantastic Rogers Technician called Shawn did the band split for me and it worked! I am now able to print and scan to my PC wirelessly!!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

RogersMaude

Good day @Focused1,

Welcome to the Rogers Community! Thanks for posting about your printer setup issue.

Look like the HP Deskjet 3050 is not compatible with the WiFi 5G network. Therefore, you may need to disable band steering. 

Bandsteering is enabled by default on the Ignite WiFi Gateway modem. This helps ensure your devices automatically connect to the WiFi network with the strongest signal.

If you want to check that bandsteering is still turned on or turn it off, you can use Ignite WiFi Hub. Check out this page for more information!

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

garynice2000
I've been here awhile

I got similar problem as well on my network printer when setup my XB7 initially. Workaround for me was to use ethernet wired connection, and set the fixed IP on the printer itself (as opposed to reserve it on DHCP).  

creativeblue
I plan to stick around

After having similar issues trying to connect my Brother L3370 printer to the Wifi, I tried about 10 approches without success (using a dedicated Reserved IP,  Enabling Discovery, Zero Config, etc).

The automatic band steering does not work for many electronic devices. 

The SOLUTION was to Split the Wireless Bands (2.4 G, 5 G) in the Router (you can also do it in the Wifi App). After splitting the bands, I was able to connect my Printer with the Setup Wizard, select Wifi Network, type Password.  A fantastic Rogers Technician called Shawn did the band split for me and it worked! I am now able to print and scan to my PC wirelessly!!

creativeblue
I plan to stick around

Hi, I need to add something to my previous message.

Even if I was able to connect my Brother Laser Printer L3770 to the Wifi Band 2.4GHz, after a few days, the printer kept losing the Wifi Connection again! (I tried once more many approaches: unplug and replug the printer, restart the printer, reboot the modem etc. etc. NOTHING WORKED. Th printer kept failing to connect to the Wifi! 

I eventually retried a RESERVED IP address for the Printer (a number suggested by the Brother Repair Network Tool). At first, the printer did not connect and somehow, hours later, the printer finally found the Wifi automatically by itself and connected. (Did cursing and burning incense helped? Lol).

So it seems that Rogers Ignite 2.4 Ghz is unstable and finicky. Rogers Gateway Modem Gen 2 (XB7).

My Brother printer is about 3 years old. Purchased in Jan 2020.

stoyan_rs
I've been here awhile

Hi to All. I have issue with connecting HP Laser Jet  CM1415fnw not connecting with Rogers Ignite 3rd Gen modem - Technicolor XP8. Before modem swap, the printer was working with old legacy Rogers modem. I've called Rogers ignite team - they split network to 2.4G & 5G. The printer doesn't want to connect to either 2.4G, 5G or 6G networks. Rogers sugested me to call HP. customer support. When I called HP support, they told me, that printer is old and they don't support old printers. So Rogers IgnIte 3rd Gen works with 5 year old laptops, 15 year old TV's, TV boxes, Thermostat, phones, but not with HP LaserJet CM1415fnw -13  years old. HP sugested me to buy new HP laser colour printer. HP dont support hardware out of waranty? At this point, I decided to connect one very old modem to the new modem. And it worked - HP printer was able to connect to old modem, connect laptop to old modem and it start printing. Not sure what is the issue - WPA channel or something else, byt if I have to buy HP product, I will reconsider it.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I just searched for a manual for this printer online and it shows this printer has an ETHERNET Port.  Why not just connect the printer directly to your modem via ethernet cable?  you do NOT need to connect the printer to Wi-Fi to print wirelessly, you can still connect it via ethernet and you can still print from your wireless devices like ipads, laptops, netbooks, chromebooks, tablets, cellphones etc.

just try the ethernet port, it will give your printer internet capabilities,  connecting printers to wifi has always been flaky and unreliable in my humble opinion, i wish they never offered wi-fi connection, all printers should have ethernet connection instead

creativeblue
I plan to stick around
Sometimes, the printer 🖨️ is too far from your computer to connect via a Ethernet cable. Especially if your Ethernet cable has to travel all around a door frame of an office to connect to a computer positioned on the other side.

stoyan_rs
I've been here awhile
Unfortunately, CM1415fnw doesn't have Ethernet port. It is only wireless.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

ok well when you had the OLD Roger modem, your printer was connected to the "OLD" wifi network from that modem, when you upgraded and changed your modem, guess what? the printer will not automatically connect to the new network, you actually have to tell the printer to join and select the network and enter the wifi password.  a lot of people automatically forget to do this when they change their modems.   The printer will see a wifi network, just select the one that is broadcast from the modem, and enter the ssid password,  once it connects you should be good to go, this is  as easy as apple pie, but i can understand this being frustrating for a lot of people.

@creativeblue wrote:
Sometimes, the printer 🖨️ is too far from your computer to connect via a Ethernet cable. Especially if your Ethernet cable has to travel all around a door frame of an office to connect to a computer positioned on the other side.

If this is the case, I would turn off my thinking as a rogers customer and turn on my common sense thinking, and grab the printer and PHYSICALLY move it into the same room as my modum.  the printer can be anywhere in your house it does not have to be near your computer, it can be in the basement for all we care or next to your hydro panel, once it is connected to your network, any device in your house wired or wireless can access it.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I would suggest to people in in the future thinking about buying a printer, please try to avoid buying these so called "wifi" printers, just get a printer with ethernet, plug it in and wipe your hands clean.   those wifi printers are nothing but trouble, wifi has changed standards so many times in the last decade, and there is so many incompatibilities with it.

Topic Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 6 in conversation