cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't create App password

eltbrown
I've been here awhile

When I tried to generate an App password to connect to Outlook.

I receive the following message:

Something went wrong on our end. Please try again later.

I tried calling Rogers Support I was told I would have to wait between 20 to 30 mins...

Not happy!

**Labels Added**

440 REPLIES 440

Re: Can't create App password

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@macham : Your post has probably been moved into this existing thread. As you can see from this and similar other threads on this forum, this is affecting some other users, since March, there is no ETA for a fix, and there is no workaround, other than to use Webmail.

Some people have switched to Thunderbird, which doesn't require an app password and some people (like you) are using "Mail" on their devices, like phones or tablets, again not requiring an app password. 

Other people are considering switching to Gmail, or their own domain e-mail address.

macham
I've been here awhile

Thanks 57.  You're quite correct that my post was redundant.  I'm heartened to hear that my issues aren't unique to my set up.  

I've been a Rogers customer for over thirty years in two locations.  My annual bill often runs over $10,000, so I'm probably a quarter million dollar customer.  My experience with Roger's tech people has been great once you get to right person.  My experience with their commercial people has been less impressive.

I've used my rogers.com email address for close to thirty years.  I've lost count of how many people (both personal and business) who have that address and so it's a real pain to have to use a separate, kluge webmail app for them compared to my gmail and iCloud contacts.

Best that I can tell, other ISP's have found ways of connecting third party apps to Yahoo so I don't understand why Rogers isn't able to.

You probably have a better sense than I as to how many people have been exorcised by Roger's inaction.  The number that publish on this forum are probably a fraction of those that have affected.  Since it would appear that there is a technical solution, how do we pressure Rogers to solve the issue?  I'm prepared to switch to another ISP but if I did so I'd also switch my entire communications portfolio as well.  Multiply that by a few hundred customers and you're far exceeding the cost of dedicating some programmers to fix the problem.  Do you or any others have the ability to communicate the seriousness of the issue up the line?  Would the CRTC be interested?

Thanks

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@macham wrote:

1. I've used my rogers.com email address for close to thirty years.  

2. I've lost count of how many people (both personal and business) who have that address and so it's a real pain to have to use a separate, kluge webmail app for them compared to my gmail and iCloud contacts.

3. Best that I can tell, other ISP's have found ways of connecting third party apps to Yahoo so I don't understand why Rogers isn't able to.

4. You probably have a better sense than I as to how many people have been exorcised by Roger's inaction. 

5.  how do we pressure Rogers to solve the issue? 

6. I'm prepared to switch to another ISP but if I did so I'd also switch my entire communications portfolio as well. 

7. Would the CRTC be interested?

1. @Rogers.com has only existed since November 2001. Before that it was @home.com

2. Yep, but if you're already using Gmail, getting the rest of your contacts to switch would not be a mountain of work and you could monitor webmail or iDevice for a while.

3. We don't either.

4. If it were a huge number, this would have been fixed. I'd guess it's in the hundreds since not that many people use computers with Outlook or similar any more.  A lot of people use phones or tablets these days.

5. People on this forum (including me) have tried various methods like the mods on this forum, the office of the president and the CCTS.

6. No need, just use Gmail, or your own domain.  That way you'd never be tied to an ISP again.

7. No, people have tried the CCTS which is the CRTC arm for these sorts of issues.

chdiamo1
I'm a reliable contributor
I think the problem I have had periodically with gmail assuming itself my default email was probably due to sending a web page to someone from the Chrome browser, which is Google/Gmail and its family of applications.

chdiamo1
I'm a reliable contributor
For me, the lesson of all this Yahoo authentication problem is to not bundle services with one provider to save a few dollars. I could save maybe 20-30$/month or more, by bundling everything with Rogers. But, just as Rogers doesn’t seem to care about this authentication problem getting resolved, they most likely wouldn’t care if I had a problem with their landline or cell phone service either! So, my cable tv and internet are bundled with Rogers via a bulk agreement with my non profit, non equity housing co-op. But my landline and cell service are with two other providers. It hurts to see a long standing Canadian company shooting itself in the foot every day, months on end ongoing. The CRTC and the federal government made a huge mistake by allowing Rogers to gobble up a competitor!! Now Rogers has even less incentive to fix tech or other problems. Hopefully the feds are noting all this for future decisions on mergers in other areas by other corporations.

ThatTate
I plan to stick around

Like Macham, I've similarly got 20-some years of people who use my email address -- I've had my own domain for 20+ years, and the associated email sorted locally on my desktop machine. Used the rogers/yahoo tie-in for 15 years.

I could switch full-time to gmail (I have a gmail address, used sparingly), but having a domain with your own branding, that can be organized and tracked on a local machine, worked great for 20 years. It's easy to say 'just switch to gmail', but it's frankly important enough (and irritating enough) for businesses and brands to just switch ISPs.

macham
I've been here awhile

Thanks for the summary reply.  I'll bite the bullet and migrate my closest contacts to a new gmail account.  I'll leave the less important contacts on Yahoo Rogers and do a brief scan every day or so to see what comes in.

I might even put the gmail account on another ISP just to have redundancy.

Keep up the good work

qsgrampy
I plan to stick around

Has anybody tried using imap? I'm going to try this web site tonight and I'll let you know how it works.

www.getmailbird.com

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@qsgrampy wrote:

Has anybody tried using imap?

It doesn't matter if you use IMAP or POP.  What matters is if the app requires an app PW.  As discussed previously in this thread, Outlook does, Mail on the computer does, Mail on a device does not, Thunderbird does not, etc.

Can't create App password

Fred9987
I've been here awhile

I need to generate a password so that I can set up my Rogers email account in Outlook.  I follow the usual "Account Information - Authorized Application - Name your password - Generate" process but am getting an error message that this isn't available now.  Been trying for a couple of weeks but this service is still not working.  When will it be fixed? Or does Rogers have a workaround that I can use to set this up while the generate password feature is being fixed?

Thanks for any help / advice anyone can give me.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Fred9987 : There are several threads on this topic where this issue has been discussed extensively. Looks like your post was moved to this one.  There is no workaround for Outlook and there is currently no ETA on when this will be fixed, although I'm told they are still working on it, even though it's now been 4 months.

You can use Webmail, or any device like a phone or tablet, which don't require an app password.  I believe Thunderbird on a computer also works because it doesn't require an app PW, although I hear "Mail" for the computer does require an app PW.  You could also set up Gmail or your own domain for a different e-mail address, which I know you're probably trying to avoid.

qsgrampy
I plan to stick around

The last post from re 57 ended up in Yahoo's Spam along with the 4 emails my daughter sent me since Wednesday of this week. It seems that Rogers Yahoo is having trouble as well as Outlook. Maybe Rogers should just admit that they can't give us an email program that will work properly. I am sick and tired of Yahoo!!

CBG
I've been here awhile

I was now able to get Outlook to work on a new laptop with the following:

1. Obtained a working Yahoo / Outlook password from my old laptop, using the instructions at  https://support.tigertech.net/find-email-password-outlook-windows.

2. Re-installed Office 365 on my new laptop. It lost some of my saved settings, but it worked and I was then able to not only see the emails in my .pst file but also to send / receive new emails.

I realize that the above instructions won't help anyone who doesn't have a working Yahoo / Outlook password somewhere.

Thanks to @Edgardo1956 for your help.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@qsgrampy wrote:

The last post from re 57 ended up in Yahoo's Spam...

Here's my thread on that particular topic:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Scam-Phishing-Fraud-Discussions/Rogers-Yahoo-Spam-Filter-Calls...

I have reported the issue several times to the mods on this forum and the tech team is supposedly working on the issue.   I provided the mods with the headers of the affected e-mails.  The last few notices from the forum have come to my inbox properly, but I'm not going to celebrate just yet.

zomby
I plan to stick around

Yay, my outlook is finally working (downloading emails). Mine was already password generated activated, just needed to wait, but after several weeks, maybe months, its finally working. I do not know about app password creation thought, in my case I didn't need too.

kpeglum
I plan to stick around

Hi everyone.

Microsoft has a solution that is available for users who are on their beta program.  I've just signed onto to the program and installed the beta version of Outlook 365, and,  I now have access to all my e-mail without needing to generate an app password.

"The Outlook Team added OAuth support for Yahoo IMAP accounts starting with build 16308.10000 in the Office Beta Channel. Currently OAuth support for Yahoo IMAP accounts is only available in the Beta Channel. We will update this topic as it advances to other channels.

With OAuth support, no App Password is needed to add the Yahoo account to Outlook Desktop. When you add the account, you use your regular password. It is also good practice to keep 2-Step Verification enabled to protect your account.

Since the Beta Channel is a Microsoft 365 Insider Program, you will need to switch from your current Office channel to the Beta Channel."

Here's the URL for the details and for info on switching over to the beta channel.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/how-to-add-a-yahoo-imap-account-to-outlook-desktop-withou...

Gary

Pa_V
I plan to stick around

Hello Gary, 

Good to hear that a solution is in sight and that the issue actually resided with Microsoft and not Rogers nor Yahoo.

As I prefer not to use Beta builds on my computers, I have a few questions:

• Any idea when the Beta Build will be moved out into Production and into the monthly releases?
  • Is this solution only for Outlook for Windows or does it apply also to Outlook for MacOS?

Thanks!

Mawjiam
I'm here a lot

Yes. And here is the irony. in Outlook i have 3 Rogers Accounts. 2 of them work, the third i cannot regenerate the password. Go figure!!

pigeon123
I've been around

Adding my voice to this thread. I can no longer access my @rogers.com email on my MacBook. My first two calls to tech support were a waste of time and it's only through reading this thread that I discovered that it's a known problem and has been FOR MONTHS. I tried to escalate the call by asking for compensation (I'm paying for a service that I can't use) and was told that webmail is essentially the same service so no. I almost lost a contact lens rolling my eyes are being told more than once that webmail is "the preferred way" to access your email with seemingly no awareness of how awkward webmail is.

Anyone with any idea how to pressure Rogers to deal with this pronto?

Mawjiam
I'm here a lot
PETITION. I will definitely sign it. Plus expose to public social media.

qsgrampy
I plan to stick around

I will be with you on that plan and I will sign it as soon as it's ready. It has to be exposed to public social media. I put it on Facebook but I think there might be a better way to do it.