cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't create App password

eltbrown
I've been here awhile

When I tried to generate an App password to connect to Outlook.

I receive the following message:

Something went wrong on our end. Please try again later.

I tried calling Rogers Support I was told I would have to wait between 20 to 30 mins...

Not happy!

**Labels Added**

434 REPLIES 434

Re: Can't create App password

mwk
I'm here a lot

The newest version of MS Outlook is a brower based app disguised as a desktop app. If  you don't have a 365 subscription, you get ads disguised as emails.

My question to Rogers and Yahoo is why do my Gmail and Hotmail email accounts work perfectly on the desktop version of Outlook 2021 but the Rogers email account does not? I do not need to use a password generator for Gmail and Hotmail. What makes Rogers/Yahoo different?

chdiamo1
I'm a reliable contributor

The fact that it is soon to be 1 full year since the app password has not been provided and Rogers has offered no explanation whatsoever and continues to say nothing about this issue, tells us that Rogers refuses to be upfront, transparent and honest with its customers. Why not just be honest with us and tell us what's going on? Who is hiding what from whom and why?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@chdiamo1 : Yes, it is a very sad situation.  I PM'd the forum mods several times last year, the last time being in December (just before I got my wife's e-mail to work with Outlook 365 as a test).  Each time I was told that Rogers are working on a fix (or something similar), but no timeline or firm response. 

I don't blame the mods since they're not doing the technical work, but we certainly can blame Rogers for a total lack of concrete information, transparency and what looks ultimately to be an abandonment of a group of their customers.

Rjam
I've been here awhile

This is terrible service from Rogers! This has been a problem for SEVERAL MONTHS!  No one has even been able to give us an idea of when it will be fixed or if it is even on their fix list.  Outlook is used for our office and not being able to import email creates a lot of extra work. It is shocking that Rogers can't fix this.  If it wasn't for the fact that we have been using Rogers email addresses for several years I would switch providers. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Rjam wrote:  This has been a problem for SEVERAL MONTHS!  No one has even been able to give us an idea of when it will be fixed or if it is even on their fix list.

Actually it's almost a year since the first post in this thread - March 8, 2023.  It is highly unlikely that the app PW generator will ever be fixed after this amount of time.  

I'm not sure why Outlook 365 doesn't work for you, but it does for everyone else based on all the previous posts saying so in this and other threads.  Create an account in Outlook 365 using your e-mail address and you should be given the option to login to Yahoo (yes Yahoo) Mail using your regular Webmail password instead of the App PW.  If you are in an office, your IT department/person should get it working.  Make sure you have updated to the latest version of Outlook 365.

There is no need to switch providers - that's the worst thing you can do.  You can create a new e-mail address in Gmail, Yahoo (not Rogers/Yahoo) or several other free services, or you can create your own domain by paying a few $/mo.  That way you would not be reliant on a service provider and can switch providers or move without losing your e-mail address.

danno100
I plan to stick around

I have another ticket open for the issue and asked for it to be escalated to top technical management. I have also contacted CRTC regarding this.

greatwhitenorth
I've been here awhile

Just passed the one year anniversary on this issue. I see some solutions for versions of Outlook have been found but has anyone found a solution for Apple Mail?

davidpoynter
I've been around

I hate to say it, but that's not a solution.  Yes, you can get your email from the web, but you lose a bunch of function that outlook on the desktop has.  Sadly this seems to have been going on for a LONG time based on the earliest posts here.

They've done nothing about this. This thread should not say there is a solution. There is no solution.

I reached out to Rogers SALES yesterday, acting as if I wanted to get Rogers for my son who moved into residence. I said i was calling though because he used Outlook and has an iPhone with HIS OWN domain. I said I read there was an issue with Rogers on those devices. He put me on hold for 30 minutes and came back and said, "Ya, I'm gonna need to talk to tech support about that but, they are so busy right now, I can't get through" 

They are full of it! Why would they not resolve a problem where you can't use email on an iPhone? Not working on Outlook is bad enough. JUST REMOVE THE APP PASSWORD!!!!!! Or go will Bell/Teksavvy more like it!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Jonogrant wrote:

1. Why would they not resolve a problem where you can't use email on an iPhone?

2. Not working on Outlook is bad enough.

3. ...go will Bell/Teksavvy more like it!

I have the following comments as a summary:

1. There is no problem with e-mail on devices like phones or tablets since no app PW is required on them.  For example, Mail on an iPhone or iPad works just fine.  Not sure why you would say you can't use e-mail on an iPhone.

2. E-mail works on the latest, paid version of Outlook since that doesn't require an app PW.  It also works on the free Web-based version of Outlook, but you have to put up with ads.  It does not work on earlier versions of Outlook, like Outlook 2016 or 2021 since they preceded the App PW generator problem and still require an App PW (if you "lose" your App PW.)  It is very typical for older software to require updating as things change.

3. Going to a different provider is not recommended since you may end up with a similar situation and will require a new e-mail address if you go to them, or if you move in future. What is recommended is to switch to a free e-mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo (not Rogers/Yahoo).  Another option is to purchase a domain for a few $/mo and set up your own e-mail address.  In this way you are not reliant on your service provider and you can move anywhere, any time.

4. We have heard that the latest version of Thunderbird for PC also works without an App PW.  The Thunderbird Mac version apparently does not work without an App PW yet, but we will continue to monitor as people try it.

5. Mail for Mac (computers) does not yet work.

6. If you don't "lose" your app PW, all e-mail clients will continue to work.  It's only if you "lose" your App PW that you will be "in trouble".  However, if you update the e-mail client or get a new computer, the App PW should "follow" the update, or you should be able to copy the existing App PW from the old version to the new (if it was working).  How you do that will depend on the client, the computer and the OS.  The App PW needs to be "visible" in the e-mail client account settings but there are instructions on the web depending again on the computer, the client and the OS.

7. Since the App PW generator has been down for over a year, this is highly unlikely to be fixed.  Rogers doesn't seem to want to spend more money on their e-mail system as evidenced by several other recent issues.

8. Previous similar discussion in a similar thread below:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Rogers-App-Password-Generator/m-p/524162/highlight/tr...

Jonogrant
I'm here a lot

When you have your own domain, there is a problem. You can't use rogers without the app password, on iPhone or Outlook. I've had the same business email for 25 years. I have the latest PAID version of Outlook. Your wrong. Anyhow. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Jonogrant wrote:

1. When you have your own domain, there is a problem.

2. You can't use rogers without the app password, on iPhone or Outlook.

3. I have the latest PAID version of Outlook. Your wrong. Anyhow. Rogers sucks.  

1. What problem is that?

2. I guess the million people (like me) who have Rogers e-mail and use an iPhone (or iPad) (or Android for that matter) are hallucinating?

3. I doubt that. The latest, paid version (365) works without the App PW - the regular Webmail PW works fine.  Again, I guess the people (like me) who have it working are hallucinating?

Anyone else getting the pre-recorded message saying that - sorry your problem isn’t fixed? I noticed today’s version blamed the fact that the app you might be trying to use doesn’t use multifactor authentication. This is probably just another lame excuse – I haven’t tried to contact apple about this yet.
Rogers seems to be promoting outlook and Microsoft and crapping on Apple! Wonder how long this can go on.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jan12345 : The summary regarding the App PW issue is in the following link (a few posts up):  It is highly unlikely that the App PW generator will ever be "fixed".

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Can-t-create-App-password/m-p/524346/highlight/true#M...

The discussion regarding MFA is in the following link as well as the link in post 2 of that thread:  MFA may be required when setting up a new e-mail or an existing e-mail on a new device or new app.  It may also be required periodically simply to confirm that you are who you say you are.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Where-can-I-go-to-get-help-with-my-Rogers-Yahoo-email...

chdiamo1
What future unpleasant surprises does Rogers have planned for us, such as the App Password issue has been and continues being? Unfortunately we might find out a lot sooner than we think. I am fortunate not to be a small business dependent on my @rogers.com email working on all my devices and for all my customers!!

chdiamo1

Why didn’t Rogers tell its customers this March 2023 and going forward? Several times a week I get phone calls from Rogers sales offering me special deals on something. Based on how Rogers has dealt with its customers over this app password issue, I don’t want any further Rogers services. They don’t seem to value the customers they have now. Why would or should I give my business to a company that acts this way?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@chdiamo1 wrote:

Why didn’t Rogers tell its customers this March 2023 and going forward? 

Probably because they didn't know the answer at the time.  (They might have initially thought it would be an easy fix, or they might have thought there'd be money in the budget to pay for a fix, or they might have thought Yahoo would be willing to pay for the fix, or the fix was simply too complex/expensive after research). 

I PM'd the mods and they checked the technical people several times last year and there still hasn't been a firm written response.    Some people who called in recently were told it would not be fixed, but that was relatively recent.  Since it's been a year, I surmised it was never going to be fixed earlier this year, especially when some computer apps like the latest paid Outlook and Thunderbird for PC no longer needed an App PW.

Jonogrant
I'm here a lot

I just bought office home 2021 (one time purchase) last week, it has the same problem. What version of outlook are you finding that works without app password?  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Jonogrant : Outlook 2021 will not work since it was developed before the App PW issue surfaced. You need Outlook 365 or Outlook for web, which is free, but has ads.  See my post earlier in this thread.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Can-t-create-App-password/m-p/524346/highlight/true#M...

kenwinges
I've been here awhile

Is this the case for android? As far as I can tell there is no Outlook 365 google playstore app. I have Microsoft 365 installed on my phone and I have a family subscription. If I install Outlook through that Microsoft 365 app it just installs the standard Microsoft Outlook app. When I try to set up my rogers account I get the same failed to authenticate error that has been detailed in this thread.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@kenwinges : I'm not on Android, but in much the same way that most people use "Mail" for Apple devices, most people with Android devices probably utilize one of the default e-mail apps, which shouldn't require an App PW, just the regular PW for Webmail, although it may require MFA (multi factor authentication) via a code sent via text.  See the default ones in the link below:

https://helpdesk.telebroad.com/support/solutions/articles/4000186299-how-to-change-the-default-email...

I cannot comment on Outlook on these devices. Perhaps someone else here has that information.

P.S. After a bit of web research I see that there are a lot of possible e-mail apps (including Outlook) available for iDevices, however, I suspect that most people stick with Apple Mail and I don't know if any of these other apps require an App PW.  I use Apple Mail on my iPad and it doesn't require an App PW.

https://www.theverge.com/21445442/apple-ios-14-default-email-apps-how-to

Since a lot of people use Gmail, I also suspect that Gmail is one of the apps frequently used on Android or Apple devices but that would likely be for Gmail, not Rogers/Yahoo e-mail.