cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the Ignite TV Modem/Gateway in Bridge Mode

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There have been many questions in the Rogers Community Forums lately from users who have switched to Ignite TV and now wish to enable Bridge Mode on the Ignite modem/gateway and use Ignite TV with their own routers and Wi-Fi access points.  The Ignite TV service is actually pretty flexible and works great with a wide range of 3rd-party networking equipment.  That said, Rogers cannot troubleshoot problems or provide any level of support for these configurations so I'm creating this thread so that we, as a community, can support each other.

I recently posted some configuration tips for setting up your own router for use with the Ignite TV service and (time permitting) will post a more comprehensive step-by-step guide.  However, I still don't recommend using Ignite TV in any unsupported configuration unless you have moderately-advanced networking skills and can troubleshoot problems on your own.  Also, if any technical issues should arise, you need to be able to put your Ignite TV components back into their originally-installed supportable configuration before contacting Rogers for technical support.

*** Edited Labels *** 

280 REPLIES 280

Re: Using the Ignite TV Modem/Gateway in Bridge Mode

liquidneon
I plan to stick around

ahh OK - that's what I was missing. Thank you for the info. Saturday night I unplugged all pods, factory reset XB6 and still ended up in the same place with greyed out control (likely cause of the ignite internet app which i did NOT uninstall). All good for now... new router seems to be a lot more stable than the XB6+pods even without manual channel selection. WiFi signal power not as strong in some places, but latency has improved everywhere, so it's still worth using my own quality router. 

Now just waiting for Rogers to address the latency/noise issues at the community/neighbourhood level and I will be a happy customer!

dassub
I plan to stick around

Can you tell me more about the services that are running when the XB7 is in bridge mode?

I just switched from legacy internet and TV to Ignite TV and gigabit internet.

I am in bridge mode for the XB7 and using my Linksys EA9500 to do all my routing.

My Ignite TV boxes are all on ethernet.

Everything works perfectly, except last night the Leafs game on TSN 4K was buffering, skipping, and losing audio.

Now I'm worried because I'm in an unsupported setup, even though I hardwired to ethernet and have a very very powerful router.

Does the XB7 know to prioritize TV traffic at all when in bridge mode?  Or does it treat all traffic the same?  Everything works perfectly, I get 950+mbps down on speed tests, and all other channels work great.

I would prefer to stay in my bridged setup, because I have a lot of local traffic rules for DHCP reservations, port forwards, etc.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dassub  I don't think that the Ignite gateways do much, if anything, in terms of traffic prioritization.  A 4K stream consumes approximately 25 Mb/s of bandwidth, and that traffic is delivered in bursts so, even if there is other traffic on your network, Ignite TV should still work fine.

The Ignite TV set-top boxes are a bit weird.  Even when wired, they maintain their wireless connection even though it is not used for streaming traffic.  I have also seen weird audio/video glitches when running in a wired configuration when that wireless connection is unstable.

I wish that I could offer more help but the reality is that the Ignite set-top boxes do not behave like normal streaming boxes.  They were specifically designed to connect to the Ignite gateway over Wi-Fi.  (Comcast's official stance is that you cannot even run Xfinity TV over your own network gear.)

I try to replicate the default, supported configuration as much as possible with my own gear, to the extent that I can fall back to using the Rogers-supported configuration just by powering down my own gear and disabling Bridge Mode on the Ignite gateway.

If everything works fine with your set-top boxes connected to your XB7 gateway with bridge mode disabled, then you will need to troubleshoot your "bridge mode" setup,and let us know what the problem was, and what you did to fix it.

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

@dassub wrote:

Can you tell me more about the services that are running when the XB7 is in bridge mode?

I am in bridge mode for the XB7 and using my Linksys EA9500 to do all my routing.

Everything works perfectly, except last night the Leafs game on TSN 4K was buffering, skipping, and losing audio.

Now I'm worried because I'm in an unsupported setup, even though I hardwired to ethernet and have a very very powerful router.

Does the XB7 know to prioritize TV traffic at all when in bridge mode?  Or does it treat all traffic the same?  Everything works perfectly, I get 950+mbps down on speed tests, and all other channels work great.

I would prefer to stay in my bridged setup, because I have a lot of local traffic rules for DHCP reservations, port forwards, etc.

With bridge mode, if you want to give certain devices "priority", you would have to do that on YOUR router???

HOWEVER.... It may have been a "feature" of my old Linksys, but when I was running in Bridge mode, I found that REMOVING prioritization, actually sped up the entire network.   I had read that somewhere, although cannot find the reference this minute.

Might be worth a try, you can always go back.

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

@ColdGranite wrote:

@dassub wrote:

With bridge mode, if you want to give certain devices "priority", you would have to do that on YOUR router???

HOWEVER.... It may have been a "feature" of my old Linksys, but when I was running in Bridge mode, I found that REMOVING prioritization, actually sped up the entire network.   I had read that somewhere, although cannot find the reference this minute.

Might be worth a try, you can always go back.

There is some discussion of QoS issues HERE: 

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/netgear-router-disable-qos,news-27675.html

dassub
I plan to stick around

Nah, this definitely isn't a QoS issue, as my network isn't currently congested, and my speed tests are always 950mbps or above.  I was just asking if the modem was aware of the "internet" packets vs the "tv" packets, for lack of a better term.

I will have to try in double-NAT mode with the hidden wifi, and/or on my own wifi mode next, since my 4K channels stutter and buffer on bridge/ethernet.  Regular HD channels are fine 24/7.

dassub
I plan to stick around

Update - Fixed 4K buffering issues when in bridge mode with my Linksys EA9500.

I wanted to post an update and let you know the configuration setting that I had to change to get things working properly.

Connectivity > Internet Settings > IPv6 > Connection type = Changed from automatic to Pass-Through

IPv4 remains on automatic.

This has resolved my issues.  All my Ignite TV boxes are hardwired by ethernet and streaming the Leafs game in 4K in 2 separate rooms without a hitch.

My Asus Router supports LACP-IEEE 802.3ad does the Ignite modem support LAC-IEEE 802.3ad

How to enable WAN Aggregation on ASUS Router?

WAN Aggregation combines two Gigabit networks to increase the bandwidth up to 2 Gigabits. Please note that the modem connected to your ASUS Router must support LACP-IEEE 802.3ad to make sure WAN Aggregation works

Regards

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Dalmo999 wrote:

My Asus Router supports LACP-IEEE 802.3ad does the Ignite modem support LAC-IEEE 802.3ad

How to enable WAN Aggregation on ASUS Router?

WAN Aggregation combines two Gigabit networks to increase the bandwidth up to 2 Gigabits. Please note that the modem connected to your ASUS Router must support LACP-IEEE 802.3ad to make sure WAN Aggregation works

I researched this for another user last year and (and did another search just now) was not able to find any mention about link aggregation support on the XB6 or XB7 gateways anywhere.  Users also ask about link aggregation and port bonding in the Xfinity support forums but, so far, I have not found any posts from anyone who was able to get this working with an XB6 or XB7 gateway either.

Dalmo999
I'm here a lot

My other question can I set up MoCA on my XB7 under GATEWAY option

My Ignite Router is set up as a GATEWAY using My Asus GT-AX1100

regards

@Dalmo999 take a read thru the following post from this morning:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Setting-Up-MoCA-with-Rogers-Ignite/m-p/482871#M67918

The same situation applies to the XB7 MoCA controller and the adapter MoCA controller.  Will they play well together?  You won't know until you're there, and then, it should be obvious, they will either work together or they won't.  

Search for   xfinity XB7 MoCA   as well to see what comes up. 

This is a rather interesting post from the google search results:

https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/your-home-network/xb7-cannot-run-pods-and-moca/602db04fc537...

Any Instruction how to set up MoCA 2.5

I have a Rogers ignite XB7 set up as a GATEWAY Modem and the ASUS GT-X1100 as my Router

Do I need Two MoCA adapter?

Been looking at youtube but its all confusing

Regards

@Dalmo999 did you read my earlier response to your first query?

@Dalmo999 one thing that you can do while you're scoping this out is to take a wallplate that has a cable or telephone port off of the wall and see if there are any other cables hiding behind the wallplate that might be useful.  Ethernet would be extremely useful as you wouldn't need to use MoCA.  Second choice would be an additional RG-6 cable so that you can run a totally private, internal cable ethernet system, with the only cross over point to the outside world existing thru the modem's MoCA interface,  or at a co-located adapter. 

Thanks for all your help I got everything I need

one last Question can I run MoCA on my XB7 under GATEWAY/Bridge Mode mode (I'm just using the XB7 as a Modem)

Regards

@Dalmo999 you can run a MoCA network with the modem in Gateway or Bridge mode.  It shouldn't make any difference if you were using separate adapters for the MoCA network.  

If the modem was running in Gateway mode, then in theory, you can use the MoCA capability in the modem, eliminating the requirement of one MoCA adapter.  The only drawback is that no one knows how the modem is configured to run the MoCA network.   Does it use the MoCA D-band Low, D-Band High or D-Band Extended.  The extended configuration uses both the low and high D-Band frequency ranges and will provide the highest data rate possible thru the adapter set.  So, for the reason that Comcast and all of its licencees haven't appeared to provide any useful information regarding the XB6 and XB7, its easier to say, to heck with the modem, and just go with separate adapters.  A rather sad state of affairs. 

With the modem in Bridge mode, you definitely have to run a separate adapter if you intend to provide internet access thru the modem via the router. 

Fwiw, here's the spec document for MoCA 2.5.  

http://www.mocalliance.org/MoCA2/specification/MoCA_2.0_and_2.5_Device_RF_Characteristics-160808d.pd...

Have a look at page 9 and 13 to see the frequency bands for MoCA ops. On page 13, if you look at the bottom figure, figure 2-7, you can see what will happen some day in the distant future when Rogers decides to run DOCSIS 3.1 using the frequency extension that runs up to 1218 Mhz, which will overlap with the lowest MoCA band.  At the present time I don't think its a concern, but, keep in mind that it might happen at some distant point in the future.  When that happens MoCA users will have to configure their adapters to run the D-High band which will drop the maximum data rate thru the adapter set. 

Fwiw, there are a number of threads in the forum about MoCA installation.  If you run a search for MoCA on the forum, here's the results:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?advanced=false&allow_punctuation...

So, there is a considerable amount of information to read thru that is available. 

MoCA 2.5 adapters:  The latest version of MoCA adapters uses a MaxLinear chipset which allows a maximum of 2.5 Gb/s thru the MoCA system.  That is a maximum data rate, within the coaxial cable system with up to 16 adapters in a network.  Now, there are 2.5 Gb/s adapters with 1 Gb/s ethernet ports and there are at least three 2.5 Gb/s adapters with a single 2.5 Gb/s ethernet port.  Here's a few links:

https://www.teamly-digital.com/tdnm250/

https://www.gocoax.com/products

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B085VGD2D6?linkCode=gs2&tag=smallncom-20

Have a look at the Kiwee-Broadband site, specifically the 2.5 Gb/s adapter with the 2.5 Gb/s port and at the Support section which contains the product Frequency Asked Questions.  The answers are probably the clearest explanations of how and what to set for the adapter parameters.  Even if you buy another vendors product, the Kiwi FAQs are a good reference:

https://kiwee-broadband.com/

The 2.5 Gb/s adapters listed above might be worth considering.  Coupled with that is the fact that the XB7 and your router have 2.5 Gb/s ports.  

On the XB7 there is a 2.5 Gb/s port marked with a red stripe (?) I believe.  I've seen a post indicating that a connection to that port with a 2.5 Gb/s equipped pc resulted in a speed test result of 1100+ Mb/s instead of the usual 940.  Now, the question here is, is the 2.5 Gb/s port on the router able to run as a Wan port or Lan port, or is it just a Lan port?  On the RT-AX86U, the 2.5 Gb/s port can be configured as either a Wan port or a Lan port.  So its possible to run the XB7 2.5 Gb/s port to the RT-AX86U 2.5 Gb/s port.  That does work as I've seen another customer try that out successfully. 

If the port on the router is only a LAN port, you could use that to connect to a 2.5 Gb/s adapter which has a 2.5 Gb/s port.  So, that might be food for thought.  

If you were to run the modem in Gateway mode, and had purchased the 2.5 Gb/s adapter with a 2.5 Gb/s port, then you could connect them together.  In any event, the 2.5 Gb/s ports can normally connect to a Gb/s port or a 2.5 Gb/s port. 

One problem that has come up recently is the state of the user instructions for the adapters.  Actiontec has sluffed off its tech support to Sunbeam from what I remember and the product support has gone downhill.  Other manufacturers might not provide very good instructions as well when it comes to logging into the adapter and setting it to run the required low, high or extended band.  So, when you're looking at buying an adapter, look specifically for the instructions to log into the adapter and set the parameters if required.  Dig into the product support page and read thru the user manual to see if that detail is provided.  The Kiwee-Broadband site is probably the best site for support questions that you might have. 

Fwiw, here's the MoCA page from the Small Net Builder site:

https://www.snbforums.com/forums/moca-homeplug-hpna.34/

There is probably a lot of useful info scattered throughout the various posts.  

Look specifically at the gocoax thread for the 2.5 Gb/s adapter to see what else can be found in the various posts:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/discussion-about-moca-2-5-adapter-with-2-5gbe-ethernet-port.73087/

Take a read thru this thread to look at the various menus and displays available with the gocoax adapter.  These will be or should be common with other newer adapters, but, other manufacturers don't provide the support to use the menus or displays:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/gocoax-moca-2-5-adapter.59499/

Ok, that should do it for now.  There a little reading ahead to determine what's the best path ahead and what's the best adapter set for what you want to do.  

Got my MoCA set up. If I run the Roger XB7 on Bridge Mode the MoCa light does not come on the MoCA

device

If I put the XB7 back to Router mode the MoCA light  on the MoCA device comes on

Regards

@Dalmo999 are you using the Modem as one of the MoCA adapters by enabling MoCA in the modem, or did you buy two MoCA adapters and set them both up to run the MoCA network?

MoCA is enable on the XB7. If I run in Bridge mode the MoCA light on the MoCA device does not come but if I run the XB7 in Router Mode the light on the MoCA device comes on

Reagards 

I'm running as a Network

Regards

Ok, so as long as the modem is in Gateway mode with MoCA enabled in the modem, your MoCA network is running.  

Is this working out as you expected and are you satisfied with the results?  Just wondering if there are any problems that you're encountering?  If you're not running into any problems, that's a win .......

xeronine
I plan to stick around

So I've skimmed through this and I can't find an answer, so I'm wondering if it's just a specific problem with me or what..

I set everything up and enabled bridge mode and my OPNsense is working just fine (oddly enough, I have the exact same IP address as before I switched the modem out).

My issue is when I use the Ignite TV app on my phone a lot of the channels are telling me that I can only access them on my in-home wifi.  Curious, I decided to see if I could track down whether or not my phone was trying to access 10.0.0.1 at all and it seems it makes a bunch of connections to a eas-po-rogers-wsl4lb-p-vip.potomac.co.ndcwest.comcast.net host before accessing a bunch of AWS IPs.  Not sure how to fix this (if it's even possible to fix).