How do you like Ignite TV compared to Digital Cable?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: How do you like Ignite TV compared to Digital Cable?

Outside of having a specific issue, that may only effect a specific area.

As has been described in this thread..  90+% of all issues with ignite, are due to bad setup, bad signal, etc.
IF all those things are done right/corrected, almost ALL the issues that people have with it, should not be present.

Bell's product is good, i have seen it, know people with it.
BUT you can run into just the same sort of things there.   Took my brother in law 6 months with his bell (only option where he is right now) to get them to fix it /get it all working right.

A bad signal, a bad setup, will effect it PERIOD, regardless of company.

Ferkner
I Plan to Stick Around

Overall I like IgniteTV, but there are things that aren't as good as digital cable. One is that surround sound doesn't work on cloud pvr recordings. Another is that the IgniteTV remote is awful. The buttons are really stiff, there is no dedicated Recordings button, and the fast forward and rewind is terrible. You're fast forwarding and then your stop when you see the show starting and it jumps back a minute or so so you have to fast forward again. It NEVER stops where it should. That annoys me the most.
ColdGranite
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Ferkner wrote:
Overall I like IgniteTV, but there are things that aren't as good as digital cable. One is that surround sound doesn't work on cloud pvr recordings. Another is that the IgniteTV remote is awful. The buttons are really stiff, there is no dedicated Recordings button, and the fast forward and rewind is terrible. You're fast forwarding and then your stop when you see the show starting and it jumps back a minute or so so you have to fast forward again. It NEVER stops where it should. That annoys me the most.

I keep reading about this "surround sound doesn't work on cloud pvr recordings."... Yet my older 6-speaker Sony system blasts out all 6 when I play a recording.  So am I misinterpreting something???

I am amazed that you would find the TV remote "awful".  It is much simpler than the Digital one, and the voice control gives you one-button access to pretty much everything.  You can call on a channel, you can call on a program, you can call "recordings" , and it gives your list of recordings.

Furthermore, you can call on "forward" or " rewind" and exact amount of time..."rewind 10 seconds" "rewind 10 minutes".  So it you want to fast-forward through a long movie, for example, it is a lot easier to say "forward 60 minutes" than it is to sit on the FF key.  And it gets you there WAY faster.

And, if you really want to do it with keys just to skip a commercial... the "page up" will go forward 30 seconds, and the page-down will rewind 15 seconds.  So to skip a typical 3-minute commercial:  Pg-up,  Pg-up, Pg-up, Pg-up, Pg-up, Pg-up will get you there, and if it is too far, a quick pg-down will put you pretty close.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ColdGranite wrote: I keep reading about this "surround sound doesn't work on cloud pvr recordings."... Yet my older 6-speaker Sony system blasts out all 6 when I play a recording.  So am I misinterpreting something???

Please read posts 95, 99 and 101 of the following thread on Surround Sound.  It depends on the settings in the IgniteTV box and in your AVR.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/IgniteTV-Surround-Sound/m-p/472720#M9274

Ferkner
I Plan to Stick Around

The page up and page down buttons for skipping commercials is fantastic. that's the sort of thing I was wanting. Using voice to skip is handy too, but I keep forgetting the voice option is even there 🙂
ColdGranite
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Ferkner wrote:
...snip..., but I keep forgetting the voice option is even there 🙂

The voice control is almost the ONLY button in use in this house.  Nobody remembers 160 TV channel numbers.

We ALWAYS call our channels by name. 

Or programs... so we want to record something from next Thursday or Friday, but what day did they say it was on??? what time??? 

Call the program by name, and you get a list of all the upcoming episodes.  Now you can record it without even worrying about channel or time.

Ferkner
I Plan to Stick Around

@ColdGranite wrote:

The voice control is almost the ONLY button in use in this house.  Nobody remembers 160 TV channel numbers.

We ALWAYS call our channels by name. 

Or programs... so we want to record something from next Thursday or Friday, but what day did they say it was on??? what time??? 

Call the program by name, and you get a list of all the upcoming episodes.  Now you can record it without even worrying about channel or time.

It's certainly something I'll need to get used to using!

Hermantk
I've Been Around

The system is great but Rogers screwed up. One of the TV boxes they sent me had seen previous use and was not properly tested before it was sent to me. (New boxes have clear film on their sides and this one did not. It also had a dirty bottom surface). SO, after some time trying to make it work, and thinking that, of course, I had to be the idiot, I called Rogers tech service. After an hour with them, it was decided that the box was faulty.

Why do they get to be sloppy and I get to waste time AND go for a few days without my system

schmidtp
I Plan to Stick Around

There is nothing wrong with using boxes units. The old big digital TV boxes were almost all refurbished ones.
Babylegs1
I Plan to Stick Around

Love love love ignite