How do you like Ignite TV compared to Digital Cable?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: How do you like Ignite TV compared to Digital Cable?

@-G- wrote:

@OLDYELLR  Using the word "flaws" and painting IPTV with that word using a broad brush is a bit unfair.

Also, comparing an SA8300HD with Ignite TV is a bit like comparing a Windows 3.1 PC to a modern Mac... and saying that the Mac is awful because it doesn't ship with Solitaire.  Ignite TV is different and it takes some getting used to.  And yeah, the older platform certainly does do some things better.

To implement IPTV well requires a HUGE capital investment, and the smaller providers inevitably need to cut corners.  I don't believe that Rogers cut corners. 

By "flaws" I mean deficiencies as compared to my old SA8300HD SARA interface.  They've already been mentioned here earlier, but any feature omitted is a flaw.

1. With my SA8300HD I could pause a recording and go through it frame by frame. That option was eliminated in the next 2 interfaces even before Ignite TV.

2. Comparing SARA to Windows 3.1 is inaccurate, you should compare it to DOS or Desqview. Personally I preferred the simple text based interface to the fancy distracting graphical one.

3. I seldom, if ever, saw glitches or pixelation on my PVR recordings on cable. but I've seen more of it on cloud recordings and even occasional buffering on playback, even with a 250 Mbps  fibre connection.

Yes. my provider is a smaller regional outfit and does not have the infrastructure of Rogers. I just posted here to see if Rogers customers saw the same deficiencies switching from digital cable to Ignite TV as I'm seeing switching to IPTV.

LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: How do you like Ignite TV compared to Digital Cable?

@OLDYELLR wrote:

1. With my SA8300HD I could pause a recording and go through it frame by frame. That option was eliminated in the next 2 interfaces even before Ignite TV.

With Ignite TV, if I pause live TV or a recording, then press "FF" immediately followed by "Pause", a "frame advance" symbol shows up on the screen for a split second before switching to pause.  I suspect that a "frame advance" feature may actually be lurking in the code somewhere but is disabled.