How do you like Ignite TV compared to Digital Cable?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schmidtp
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: How do you like Ignite TV compared to Digital Cable?

Like it but definitely not as enamored with it as you.
I miss the back button to go to last channel. I miss the phone display on the TV when someone calls.
I don't like that you have to keep re-booting the box. I don't like that you cannot remove unwatched channels from the guide list. I don't like that it blacks out every so often. I don't like that he sound goes off. I don't like that when using voice command it often says sorry, we are having a problem....and on and on.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@schmidtp wrote:

Like it but definitely not as enamored with it as you.
I miss the back button to go to last channel. I miss the phone display on the TV when someone calls.

Those are all fair comments.  There are aspects of the Ignite TV user interface that some will really like and some that they will find really annoying.  Same goes for Digital TV, Bell Fibe TV, or any other platform.

My biggest complaint about Ignite TV is that the product is just one part of a connected-home ecosystem that is totally controlled by Comcast, and much-wished-for improvements to the TV service (or any other aspects of the Xfinity X1 platform and ecosystem, from us or from their own customers) come at a GLACIAL pace.  That said, the TV service is a very mature product.

I don't like that you have to keep re-booting the box. I don't like that you cannot remove unwatched channels from the guide list. I don't like that it blacks out every so often. I don't like that he sound goes off. I don't like that when using voice command it often says sorry, we are having a problem....and on and on.

You should not be seeing any of these issues.  I run into the odd glitch every so often that requires me to reset equipment every few months but for the most part, Ignite TV and Ignite Internet have been EXCEPTIONALLY solid for me.  No drops, no glitches... and it's technically possible for me to run Ignite TV over my own network hardware.  I will take that any day.

schmidtp
I Plan to Stick Around

Those issues are regular things with my ignite. I have a rather big file at Rogers tech help LOL. I have had tech to my house, multiple times. I am completely "re-wired" from the outside box to the inside house. I have had exchanges of ignite set top boxes and still suffer the problems. I have 2 TV's and one is only a few months old so my equipment is not the issue. It is seemingly Ignite itself.
I do not seem to be alone as can be seen by the threads and discussions on this community forum. It is also a big complaint issue on Facebook.
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@schmidtp  I totally sympathize and hope that those issues will get resolved for you.

I had the exact opposite experience.  With Digital TV, I ran into constant "unfixable" problems, a glitchy picture on all switched digital video channels, HORRIBLE set-top box software, and old, outdated, faulty hardware that got cycled from one customer to another... and the Digital TV platform itself was really showing its age and inflexibility when compared to modern IPTV platforms.

Today, my Internet service is now rock-solid, and I can make sure that my in-home network and WiFi is rock-solid as well.  With that, Ignite TV works well.  Could it be improved on?  Sure... but for me, it's still the most reliable TV service that I have ever had.

schmidtp
I Plan to Stick Around

Nice that you have good service but clearly not all do and the fact remains that there are a very big amount of threads and many hundreds of posts regarding issues with Ignite.
You, as a resident expert must have much more insight and knowledge than we, the users have. I thank you for helping.

Bplayer
I'm a Senior Contributor

I second the comments by @-G- about the stability of Ignite. It has been completely stable for me over the last 2 years, and I have not had to call in for support. I routinely reboot all my devices about every month.

The technical aspects of Ignite are solid, but there are two elements that likely impact users. The first is internet stability. Any dropout or minor outages will cause issues for any the services being used. The second is WiFi stability and connectivity between the Gateway and the TV Box. If both have problems then the overall service will be poor.

It does not matter to the typical user which one is cause. Technical Support should be able to diagnose and assess the internet stability, but only those experiencing these issue know how effective Rogers is at resolving. There may be many things that you can do about WiFi coverage in your home.

schmidtp
I Plan to Stick Around

Look, I only made a point saying my Ignite was problematic and tech support and techs at my home and rewiring did not help much. My router and wi fi is very good, as the tech in the house was able to determine. I also noted the hundreds of threads and many many hundreds of posts about Ignite problems is some proof that it is problematic for many of us.
I am glad it is good for you and the other guy but it is not for many of us.
Bplayer
I'm a Senior Contributor

I am not disputing the issues experienced of by you or others, but trying to outline where the issues might be. It would appear that your issues are internet related. If there was a simple fix it would likely have been implemented by this.

Keep pushing them, maybe the resolution is just around the corner.

schmidtp
I Plan to Stick Around

Just to clarify, my issues have been with Ignite TV. I have not had any issues with my internet. Even working from home and having 2 kids going to online school, the internet has been fine.  I am just tired of the problems and even more tired of the little black box that says "We are Sorry - We are having Problems, try again later"
Here is a 39 page thread about "Ignite TV - Several Issues" to affirm it is problematic, and not just for me.

Bplayer
I'm a Senior Contributor

@schmidtyDo you by any chance have any WiFi extenders (non POD) in you home? I had one of these before getting the POD and it disrupted my service. Technical Support had to do a reset on my TV Box, something that could not be performed by unplugging or just doing a reboot. Ask them to do this the next time you have a problem.