cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you like Ignite TV compared to Digital Cable?

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

First of all, I'm not an Ignite customer.  In fact, I cancelled Rogers digital cable when I went to an IPTV package from my ISP using fibre that was installed in my area last summer.

My transition was more of a surprise than for most of you moving from Rogers Digital Cable to Ignite TV because I had a SA8300HD PVR on the SARA system, with none of the fancy shmancy graphics of the NAVIGATR interface, but it was simple, user friendly and had several features the later interfaces had dropped.  My legacy VIP also had way more channels, although, unfortunately, not the ones I really wanted.

Here are a couple of annoyances I found switching from Digital Cable to IPTV.

1. When playing cloud recordings I find the FF button skips in bigger steps than it did  with digital recordings on my hard drive.  Do you also see that on Ignite?

2. With my new IPTV service, I find that some SD channels do not display or record with the correct aspect ratio.  TV Ontario is weird because it displays correctly live, but record in SD, horizontally compressed. How is it on Ignite TV?

I ask these questions not only for my own edification, but so Rogers customers switching from Digital Cable to Ignite TV know what they'll be getting, because you can't switch back.

***Added Labels*** 

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
125 REPLIES 125

Re: How do you like Ignite TV compared to Digital Cable?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@schmidtp wrote:
What is intersting to me in your statement is that once gone, digital cable is gone.... Where does it go?
My neighbor has resisted and uses the old system and I am using Ignite. Both cables come out of the same box in his front yard. The only difference between us is the set top box.
So, in my mind, the technology is in the modem and set top box and it is exactly as you say, either switch or leave.

All of the old equipment, that once supported Digital TV, will get decommissioned and at some point, likely sooner than later, there will literally be no "Digital TV" signal left on the coax for any legacy set-top boxes to decode.

That coax cable carries thousands of signals on multiple frequency bands -- channels -- some of which are allocated for Digital TV, others for upstream and downstream Internet, and other special-purpose channels.  So... it is the same cable but Ignite TV is basically streamed through your Internet modem whereas the Digital TV set-top boxes decode a separate set of TV signals on the coax cable.

Those "separate set of TV signals" are received from the original provider, encoded and broadcast by old, aging equipment, that reached end-of-sale years ago and much of which has also reached end-of-support.  All that old equipment is also consuming power, rack space and floor space in Rogers' facilities, along with servers for management, provisioning, billing, etc.  All but the newest 4k set-top boxes have also reached end-of-life and can no longer be replaced when they break.

Ignite TV is based on different technology and does not use any of legacy Digital TV infrastructure.  All that old (and now redundant) infrastructure is getting more and more expensive to support and is also now serving fewer and fewer customers, so it makes business sense to get rid of it as soon as possible.

Once the Digital TV infrastructure gets shut down and literally goes away, it will free up spectrum on the coax cable (channels -- bandwidth) that can then be repurposed.  Or, better yet, once ALL Rogers services become IP-based and can be delivered through a cable modem using Internet technologies, the coax and legacy Cable Internet technologies can then also eventually be retired and replaced by either new optical fibre networks or next-generation wireless networks.

schmidtp
I plan to stick around
Key words "All of the old equipment, that once supported Digital TV, will get decommissioned ". Thing is, I still have coax cable into my house and from the outside connection to the modem is also coax cable.
Bottom line is Rogers is changing it's set top boxes to wireless and we (like the Borg say) must comply.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Cars also replaced the horse and carriage for most people.

schmidtp
I plan to stick around
Being an apologist for Rogers? The topic is "How do you like Ignite TV compared to Digital Cable? " and this thread along with many others threads and many many posts are about folks having issues.
No one got rid of the horses when the cars came. People had many issues with their cars but were able to return to their horses.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@schmidtp wrote:
Being an apologist for Rogers?

No, but I have spent most of my career leading large transformation projects and as an evangelist of next-generation technologies, including IPTV and next-generation networks.  I understand what they are going through and know the daunting work that Rogers will have ahead of them... and I also completely understand the issues and frustration that customers and end-users can face in such times as well.

homegrownIP
I've been here awhile

@57 

Are you sure recordings don't play back in surround sound?  I find that hard to believe.  Could it be your system set up?

Circus_boi
I plan to stick around

Sorry if this is not the right forum.  I am contemplating moving up to Ignite TV/Internet (mostly because Rogers Ambassador is offering a better deal than legacy Digital TV/Internet.  As I try to weigh the pros vs. cons (other than costs), I have read many of these pages.  My question is more basic.....

Are the new Rogers Ignite/Gateway modems better these days that people generally don't need to both putting them in bridge and using a 3rd party router to ensure good wifi coverage? For a 1,500 to 2,000 sq. ft. home, for example?

Given that Ignite TV is wifi-based, and Rogers won't support if you connect Ignite TV through a 3rd party router, am wondering if I should just dispense with a router and use the Rogers Ignite/Gateway model for wifi also?

Separately, I have been hearing that there is an XB7 modem (supporting wifi6) now?  If I am going to move to Ignite, I should insist on the XB7 modem, right?

Thanks for any insight/assistance!!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@homegrownIP wrote:

@57 

1. Are you sure recordings don't play back in surround sound?  I find that hard to believe. 

2. Could it be your system set up?

1. Please read posts 95, 99, 101 of the following link. Unless things have changed very recently, I'm sure that you don't get proper DD5.1 on recordings. That's different from Surround Sound which I have explained in the link.  I don't have IgniteTV myself, so I rely on the feedback from others regarding this issue.

2. I can only assume that you don't know @57 ... 😉

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/IgniteTV-Surround-Sound/m-p/472720#M9274

Bplayer
I'm a trusted contributor

@Circus_boi 

You should be OK in a 2,000 sq ft home, and if there are weak coverage areas then get the PODS that Rogers will provide. Some users still go with a 3rd party router for advanced control of their environment. Go standard first, get everything working and then decide if you need more options.

You can try for an XB7 but it may not yet be available in your area. When they are in generally support you can request a change.

schmidtp
I plan to stick around

Rogers supplies 2 Pods for free if you are having issues. No need to get 3rd party equipment.

Circus_boi
I plan to stick around

@Bplayer @schmidtp Thanks.  Getting the new equipment on Sat., so will see how it all goes.  Rogers person also said that she can't guarantee XB7 as it's not 'fully launched' yet but I can always call Ignite Concierge to upgrade in the future.  Same for PODS, she said that I can't get them with the new equipment, but if I need it to call Ignite Concierge and get up to 2 for free.  

mclean2mclean
I've been around
Terrible. Rogers sucks.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@mclean2mclean wrote:
Terrible. Rogers sucks.

Could you please elaborate? I've gone to IPTV  (not Rogers) and the one big difference I've found is the poor Fast Forward and Rewind on recordings. But then I had a SARA cable box with Rogers and could even advance recordings frame-by-frame, which Nextboxes could not do. New technology takes away as much as it gives.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Babylegs1
I plan to stick around
I switched over to Ignite TV December 2018. I absolutely love it! I would never go back to digital TV, I have so much more freedom with my TV. I have never had any issues with my service.
All 4 of my tv’s are older and non-smart. I love that they work like a streaming tv now without me having to replace all 4
I LOVE that I can watch my tv package on the go on all my devices! Also, the voice activation is such an awesome feature. Thanks, Rogers

Gtheman
I plan to stick around

Terrible. Missing channels. Remote has no range. Total rubbish

Lurker_Returns
I'm a reliable contributor
What channels are you missing?

How far are you from.your TV that range is a concern?

Gtheman
I plan to stick around

I am missing all US Networks. ABC,CBS,NBC,PBS.

The remote is 2m or 3m from the TV box. The distance was never an issue with the old digital system.

The TV box is virtually line of sight from the modem/router/whatever.

Lurker_Returns
I'm a reliable contributor
1. Looks like Rogers moved these to a theme pack. Gotta admit, that's a pretty garbage move by Rogers. No argument here.

2. The remote is RF and does not require a line of sight to operate. Have you paired the remote with the box correctly? https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/pairing-the-voice-remote

Gtheman
I plan to stick around
Yes, I believe so. Range is MUCH less than the old digital set-up.

@Gtheman wrote:

The remote is 2m or 3m from the TV box. The distance was never an issue with the old digital system.

The TV box is virtually line of sight from the modem/router/whatever.

@Lurker_Returns wrote:
2. The remote is RF and does not require a line of sight to operate. Have you paired the remote with the box correctly? https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/pairing-the-voice-remote

@Gtheman  Where is the set-top box located?  Have you tried separating it from other devices (that also transmit RF) that could be causing interference?  Also, if you have it in a cabinet, behind leaded glass, that too could block the signal between the remote and STB.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Gtheman wrote:
Yes, I believe so. Range is MUCH less than the old digital set-up.

The easiest way to confirm whether your Rogers remote is paired via RF is to try issuing voice commands.

If you are using an IR universal remote to control the set-top box, that does require a VERY direct line of site.

Topic Stats