How do you like Ignite TV compared to Digital Cable?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: How do you like Ignite TV compared to Digital Cable?

@User2225676 wrote:

Ignite TV ISSUES

1) No way to HIDE repeat channels ex. FX has 4 different channel spots I ONLY NEED ONE ie channel FX has #15- #51- #95-and #328....TSN1has 3 channels #17-#99-and #502....I tried to use the FAVOURITE CHANNEL BUTTONS TO ELIMINATE THIS ISSUE...That was a COMPLETE WAIST of my time!

Ignite TV is different, in many ways.  It is based on the Comcast X1 platform.  It will have a completely different look and feel from Digital TV because all aspects of the new system were designed and developed by a completely different company, to enable a different way of watching TV.  You probably find that you are not actually missing as many critical features as you might think, but the new system will feel awkward until you get used to it.  For a while, you will feel like a dog when they move into a new home.

2) NO last channel button 

You might find this helpful for figuring out what functions are assigned to the remote buttons: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/get-to-know-xr11-remote

4) No PICTURE in PICTURE. WHY?

PiP typically is not implemented on any IPTV platforms that I know of.  There are technical reasons for this, but it's also not a widely-used feature.

5) No button to FAST FORWORD 3 MINS to eliminate commercials!!!  WHY?

The Pg Up and PG Down buttons skip forward and backwards.  You can change the "skip ahead" interval to 30 seconds as follows: press [Exit] three times, then key in 0030

6) The DATE on top of guide only gives the MONDAY, TUESDAY, WEDNESDAT info for 3 days and the rest is you have to look up a CALANDER to see if it is a MONDAY or WEDNESDAY  ect. WHY?

7) No BUTTON TO CLEAR SUPER IMPOSED INFO ON SCREEN WHILE CHANGING CHANNELS.  WHY?

😎 Guide only goes one way UP from #3- #999. WHY?

9)  Before I had the option to start MY RECORDINGS up to 3 HOURS EARLY now I ONLY GET 3-5 MINUETS OPTION . WHY?

10) I watch sports shows every day ,ex “ HIGHLY QUESTIONABLE” on TSN if I RECORD ALL EPISODES of this show on TSN1, it will record all episodes but one day this week it is not on TSN1, but on TSN2-TSN3-and TSN5, I WILL MISS MY RECORDING!!!!!!!! 

The PVR is my biggest pet peeve with Ignite TV.  I can see why Comcast did what they did when they designed it, and they did try to make things as simple as possible.  (Press record on the show that you want to record, choose a single episode or all episodes, and you're done.)  However, if the Guide is not up-to-date or if you need more flexibility when setting up a recording, this simplicity can be very frustrating.  If you need more control over start/end times, you can set up a manual recording.  You will also find that the PVR fills up very quickly, and it is annoying when recordings get automatically deleted after 1 year.

That said, Ignite TV is a good system overall.  It may seem strange and a bit too different at first, but you will get used to it.  There are many things that Ignite TV does better than Rogers Digital TV and Bell Fibe TV but you have to give it a chance and take the time to learn it.  It also has some hidden and undocumented features.  If you have any questions about Ignite TV or need help to get something working, feel free to ask here and we will all try to assist as best as we can.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@User2225676 wrote:

1) No way to HIDE repeat channels

5) No button to FAST FORWORD 3 MINS to eliminate commercials!!!  WHY?

9)  Before I had the option to start MY RECORDINGS up to 3 HOURS EARLY now I ONLY GET 3-5 MINUETS OPTION . WHY?

10)...RECORD ALL EPISODES of this show on TSN1, it will record all episodes but one day this week it is not on TSN1, but on TSN2-TSN3-and TSN5, I WILL MISS MY RECORDING!!!!!!!! 

I have the follow explanations for your "WHY" questions.  I don't have Ignite myself, however, I have been following the threads here very closely as I would like to switch to Ignite once the items that bother me are addressed, as discussed earlier in this thread.

1. The reason the channels are repeated are so that they can be associated into groups like "movies, kids, sports, timeshift, HD etc"  Consequently some channels are repeated several times

5. Although the 3 minutes was useful for some commercial breaks, many are not exactly 3 minutes, so the 30 second skip that you can programme as outlined above may actually be more useful for commercial breaks that are 2.5 minutes, 3.5 minutes, etc.

9. With Ignite there should be no need to extend recordings at either end since the IPG is updated "live". This means that even if a programme ends late or starts early, Ignite should catch that eventuality.  No guarantees.  You can always record the programme that goes before or after...  One reason for not allowing long extensions is that server space is limited for recordings, so cost would rise if this option were enabled.

10.  I believe it depends how you set up your recording if you do it from the guide, it will record only that channel. If you set it up from a search, then it should get the programme from whatever channel airs it...  You may, or may not be able to modify your scheduled recordings from the scheduled recordings list...

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

9. With Ignite there should be no need to extend recordings at either end since the IPG is updated "live". This means that even if a programme ends late or starts early, Ignite should catch that eventuality.

Yes, on Ignite, the IPG does update more frequently, and is more accurate, more current, and more detailed than on Digital TV... and recordings are automatically extended for some live events, but not always.  Also, over the past week, there were a few times where sporting events on US networks ran late, and the late-night shows that follow (airing on Global) got delayed but the Guide never gets a "live update" in those situations, so you would end up missing the first 30-45 minutes of those shows when you record them.  However, those shows can be viewed later on-demand, and depending on which version is available at the time (replay/restart vs. on-demand) and the rights associated with it, you may be able to skip through commercials.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@57 wrote:

9. With Ignite there should be no need to extend recordings at either end since the IPG is updated "live". This means that even if a programme ends late or starts early, Ignite should catch that eventuality.  No guarantees.  You can always record the programme that goes before or after... 

I wonder how that worked for people watching Formula 1 Qualifying on Ignite today.  Q3 was beyond the time slot due to rain, running long.  When I had Rogers digital cable with SARA, I routinely extended all F1 recordings by an hour to allow for delays. I can't do that with my new (non-Rogers) IPTV cloud DVR, but I haven't been scheduling the next program either (usually Sports Desk).  However, my IPTV has this "Catch-Up TV" feature where I can go to the Guide and go back up to 24 hours and watch the next program that I missed. That's what I did today and I do that whenever 60 Minutes gets delayed by a long running  sports event.  Does Ignite have anything like that?

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR wrote:

I wonder how that worked for people watching Formula 1 Qualifying on Ignite today.  Q3 was beyond the time slot due to rain, running long.

However, my IPTV has this "Catch-Up TV" feature where I can go to the Guide and go back up to 24 hours and watch the next program that I missed. That's what I did today and I do that whenever 60 Minutes gets delayed by a long running  sports event.  Does Ignite have anything like that?

I just checked.  Gave the "Formula One" Voice Command which brought up the "Formula 1 Racing" program screen.  Qualifying event was there for viewing and I could fast forward to the end.  Unfortunately, the On Demand program did not get extended so it also missed the ending.  I will let you know if an extended version shows up later.

With Ignite TV (unlike some other IPTV platforms) you cannot go back to a previous program in the Guide and watch a previous program directly.  However, on those other platforms, you would also be equally stuck if your provider did not have "replay" rights for the program in the next timeslot, following the event which ran late.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@-G- wrote:

With Ignite TV (unlike some other IPTV platforms) you cannot go back to a previous program in the Guide and watch a previous program directly.  However, on those other platforms, you would also be equally stuck if your provider did not have "replay" rights for the program in the next timeslot, following the event which ran late.

Yes, that's what my IPTV service says. I haven't used my replay feature much, but so far it's worked for the programs I needed. So I guess Ignite users will need to record the next program on the schedule as well just in case there's a delay.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Babylegs1
I Plan to Stick Around

I've had ignite tv since December 2018 and LOVE IT! 

I would never go back to digital tv given the choice.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR wrote:

Yes, that's what my IPTV service says. I haven't used my replay feature much, but so far it's worked for the programs I needed. So I guess Ignite users will need to record the next program on the schedule as well just in case there's a delay.

This topic has been discussed in a previous thread, links below:

For programming less than 2 hours, you can extend by up to 30 minutes:  For programming 2 hours or more, you can extend by up to 90 minutes.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Manually-Set-Recording-Times-Beyond-the-Presets-for-...

You can also set up a manual recording for up to 12 hours:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Manually-Set-Recording-Times-Beyond-the-Presets-for-...

Of course it may be simpler to set a recording for the previous programme(s) or following programme(s), depending on need...

schmidtp
I Plan to Stick Around

Same goes for Sunday night programming ....the Football games always go over the allotted times and the programs set to record after that are messed up.
attiliomario
I've Been Here Awhile

I regret moving to ignite. I have had it for a few months now and still having ongoing issues. A lot of slowness and interuption. I wanted to move back to cable and Roger's said no because the technology was becoming obsolete. Im still waiting for a technician to fix the issue and im still expected to pay for the service. Rosa Pacheco. I suggest not yo switch over and instead go with Bell. Im hearing really good stuff from Bell.