cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers IPv6 Status

foodgodessto
I've been here awhile

Hello,

I'm wondering what the current IPv6 status is within Rogers.  A search on the forums only shows 10 topics over the past year that even mention IPv6, and there doesn't appear to be any official communications from Rogers since IPv6 day last year.

I know that Rogers (supposedly) supports IPv6 tunneling (although the only person to ask about it did not get any responses).

602 REPLIES 602

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status

zardoz99
I plan to stick around

I read that and it confirmed that 4.5.8.20 is required for IPv6. Therefore my question really is , why was it confirmed when I explicitly asked, that the the firmware update that they would push would restore working IPv6, when it obvously didn't, and couldn't. I even mentioned 4.5.8.20 to them during the support conversation... sigh.

zardoz99
I plan to stick around

I would just like to say that @RogersDave has been brilliant. Not only do I now have the correct firmware to enable IPv6 but IPv6 is also working again.

@gw280 wrote:

I'm on a CGN3ROG (4.2.4.6 firmware) bridged to an EdgeRouter and I'm not getting any IPv6 connectivity in either bridge mode or gateway mode. I've factory reset the CGN3ROG.

dhcp6c on my router is showing the following error:

Apr/28/2016 23:27:42: client6_recvadvert: advertise contains NoAddrsAvail status

If I change it to only request a prefix and not a non-temporary address as well:

Apr/28/2016 23:35:22: update_ia: status code for PD-1: no prefixes

So it appears that there's a dhcpv6 server that it's communicating with, but it's not configured to delegate any addresses or prefixes.

@gw280, we have made changes to attempt to resolve this issue. You may need to reboot your modem and/or disconnect and reconnect the EdgeRouter.

Let us know if this problem is fixed.

gw280
I plan to stick around

@RogersDave - got a prefix, looks good! Thanks for all your hard work.

JKnott
I'm a reliable contributor

@howi wrote:
@JKnott,

What are you referring to "but you can't get there from here with it. ;-)"? Not too sure if I misunderstood you. It's just NATed with IPv4 and no problem with the www... unless there are specific sites with IPv6 only addresses.

Just a bit of humour.  Regardless, while I get an IP address as guest, I can't connect to anything.

JKnott

@VivienM wrote:

@JKnott wrote:

One thing I've noticed is that you can't have the same SSID for both bands.  This violates common practice, where a device should be able to switch between bands as needed.

In residential land with residential-grade gear? 

When I tried to run 5GHz and 2.4GHz with the same SSID years ago, it was a complete disaster because clients kept favouring 2.4GHz even when they shouldn't. So I've reluctantly come to the conclusion that for residential setups, you should run separate SSIDs to force the 5GHz devices to stay there.

Now, if this was a business-grade setup with real APs, that'd be a different story. Why business-grade gear seems to handle this fine and residential-grade doesn't... is a mystery to me. 

It shouldn't make any difference.  There's nothing in commerial grade gear that causes the client to switch.  It's entirely a client issue.  Some clients switch sooner than others.

JKnott

@Datalink wrote:

Read msg #208, just above your post.  Version 4.5.8.20 is not being distributed network wide at this point in time, but should begin distribution fairly soon, unless of course any unforeseen issues come to light in the next few days.

My modem has .20 now.

JKnott

@gcerullo wrote:

@JKnott wrote:
BTW, is it just me or is this site sometimes a real pain to post to?  I often find when I try to post I get to a screen with an activity indicator, but go no further.

Yeah, I noticed that too. It seems to go into a redirect loop and never recovers.

I have been unable to log in for over 24 hours and just got in again now.  I guess whoever built this site are same same ones responsible for that Navigatr disaster.

JKnott

@JKnott wrote:

@davem wrote:

The deployment of 4.5.8.20 on the CGN3ACSMR Rocket Wi-Fi modem has not officially started yet. A very limited number of users have received it as part of troubleshooting and testing of reported issues.

I now have 4.5.8.20.  I can configure ssh port forwarding, which I couldn't before.  Also, while I get an IPv6 address, it doesn't seem to be working.  Also, the Guest WiFi doesn't seem to get an address.

I have come to the conclusion that the firewall on the Hitron modem/router is useless.  I'm back in bridge mode, with a computer running Linux as my firewall/router.

lawlsl
I've been here awhile

@RogersDave Happy to say that I have an IPv6 prefix in scarborough!

timlocke
I plan to stick around

I have not bothered with any firewall stuff on my router either (Dlink868).   When I have a spare machine I will implement a firewall  on Linux.

I have an elderly CGN3 and I'll stay in bridge mode until I need a new one for the Gigabit service.

The following issues are now considered resolved:

• Customers in or around Scarborough (ON) may be unable to receive an IPv6 prefix
  • Customers in or around New Dundee (ON) and Pokemouche (NB) receive an IPv6 prefix but are unable to connect to IPv6 destinations

At this point, we believe that all previously reported regional issues have been resolved. If there are still remaining issues, let me know and I will have them adressed accordingly.

I can confirm that i now have IPv6 connectivity near Pokemouche NB.

Thanks you Dave for your help on the forum. Being able to report our issues to you throught the community forum and not have to "fight" with the phone support team is appreciated.

VivienM
I'm an advisor

So I had a total cable outage tonight (phone, Internet, TV)... and when things came back... my CGN3ACSMR was very unhappy. I power cycled it, it gave some weird light patterns, and now it's up running the .20 firmware... 

krayola
I've been around

I can't seem to get a V6 delegation with an EdgeRouter Lite in Ottawa West.  I'm already using DHCPv6-PD with a DSL provider, so I know my network and router support DHCPv6-PD.  It's also the same router others have reported success.  Is Ottawa West (Richmond Road phub) enabled yet?

@krayola,

The service should be enabled in this area but we will need to investigate further to ensure that everything was done right. Can you PM @CommunityHelps your modem MAC address and serial number so that we can have a look.

I am happy to annouce that the last milestone in the deployment and enablement of IPv6 is underway.

We have now started the deployment of firmware 4.5.8.20 on the Rocket Advanced Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3ACSMR) which enables allows IPv6 in both bridge and gateway mode.

A first wave of modem has now been upgraded. After a pause of a few days to ensure no major issues are discovered, all remaining modems will be upgraded.

zardoz99
I plan to stick around

That's excellent news.. Looking forward to being back on 4.5.8.20, although I have to say that 4.5.8.16 has been fine once the IPv6 stack was activated...

lawlsl
I've been here awhile
@RogersDave any status update on larger prefix delegations?

zardoz99
I plan to stick around

@zardoz99 wrote:

That's excellent news.. Looking forward to being back on 4.5.8.20, although I have to say that 4.5.8.16 has been fine once the IPv6 stack was activated...

Looks like it's back to 4.5.8.20 after last night's update. 

This version also fixes the rather interesting "command execution" exploit that 4.5.8.18 is vulnerable to.

Raji
I'm here a lot

This /64 IPv6 prefix, will it be static or Dynamic ? I noticed, when i rebooted my modem 3,4 part changed (1:2:3:4/64). Is this normal ?