horrible speeds over VPN

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: horrible speeds over VPN

@jay991 wrote:

@hoek

Having the same issues like you have been describing.

Apparently the 2.0.10.35T1 firmware was rolled back.  Are you back on 2.0.10.34T6 or did you get the latest 2.0.10.36T2 ?  I'm on 2.0.10.34T6 and hoping the newest firmware will fix the issue.

@Jay sorry I had missed your message.

I'm currently at 2.0.10.36T4 and IPSec VPN performance is still garbage.  Moving data over the VPN I get at best 2-4 MB/s.  2.0.10.35T1 was night and day better.

I'm Here A Lot

Why is Rogers throttling my speed when i Use NordVPN?

Tried everything have a good proof that the speed is throttling.. im paying tor 500mbps and get that without vpn. Once the vpn is engages I lose anywhere from 70% to 90% of the speed.

Lousy way to treat the customer.

I'm not overreacting  iv'e been a customer than 28 years.

Just that im not getting nowhere near the value im paying for.

im not a techie so if anyone can help please let me know

Any ideas??

please help me

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@flyboy50 VPN and IPSEC with the Hitron modem has always been problematic.  This isn't throttling, for the most part it appears to be a firmware design failure or design limitation of Intels Puma 6 and 7 modems.  It might date back to the 2008 timeframe when the Puma 5 modem was designed and built by Texas Instruments.  There is a firmware update on the horizon for IPSEC apparently but I don't know when that will be released or what increase in performance will be seen.  So, with VPNs it appears to be hit an miss in terms of what VPN you're running and where the VPN is originating, in a router or pc/laptop.  The encryption type plays a big part in what you will end up with in terms of the end data rates.  Just to point out, if you're running a VPN on a platform that has Intel's AES-NI built it, you would see much higher VPN data rates due to the built in encryption support.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just want to expand on one thing that Datalink hit on.  
Where the VPN is originating.. where you are connecting to.

While I dont run a VPN all the time, I am PIA. (which you can choose what VPN locations you want to go through.. canada, US, etc)
Connecting to one in canada vs one in the us or father away, gives very different rates. 
(though yes, even the canadian one is much slower than with no VPN)

Doing a speed test, going to a local server near your place, vs one across the country.. your going to get much slower speeds as it has to go over that many hops.

I do remember helping someone once with a VPN speed issue.  (they werent on rogers).
But they were doing a speed test to their city.  Then said they were having insanely slower speed tests when on the VPN.  They were connecting to a VPN in the southern US.  But were speed testing still till their local city.
So yeah.. it will have some slowdowns.. as your data is being routed from  you, down to that spot in the US, then coming back to hit the speed test server back up here.

Not saying that its not a problem and that there may be something going on.
Just saying, cant expect 100% speed either.

I'm Here A Lot

Thank you So much, I just hope this firmware update comes Fast, I had PIA vpn and was just as bad ,,,with 500mbps I surely don't mind dropping 30% speed but my speeds are awful.
Is there another modem Rogers offers that might work? like the gigabit router?.. I will rent one if it is much different than the one I have
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@flyboy50 I really don't have any good suggestions to make in terms of modems.  I suspect that they're all bad, in terms of VPN throughput.  However, running the modem in Bridge mode with a router that supports VPNs might make a positive difference.  The only modem that I'm aware of with AES-NI support for encryption is the Asus RT-AC86U.  There might be other routers manufactured by other companies, but, I haven't done any research into that possibility.  

What are you running the VPN on at the current moment?  Desktop, laptop, or router?  This is part of the puzzle when it comes to VPN throughput rates.

I'm Here A Lot

don't have a modem just from my router straight to the back of the lan Build in of my ASUS Z270-P motherboard.

Windows 10 /64

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@flyboy50 wrote:

don't have a modem just from my router straight to the back of the lan Build in of my ASUS Z270-P motherboard.

Windows 10 /64

@flyboy50, not having a modem doesn't make sense, sorry?  Are you trying to indicate that you connect directly from the Hitron modem to your pc via ethernet.  What's the processor model on the motherboard?  If you can dig up the exact processor type, I'd like to see what that processor has for AES-NI support.  What do you have for installed ram on the motherboard, while we're at it? 

I'm Here A Lot

Hi

Im Running as you said directly from the White Hitron router to the back of my PC's motherboard lan connection

meaning im using the build in Lan of my motherboard.

The motherboard is an ASUS Prime Z270-P

Processor is Intel i7 7700K, and 48GB ram , and an ASUS GTX980 ti Stix,

Windows 10 64 bit.

When I use the ikeV2 protocol to connect to vpn (nordvpn) the speed is always way less than their client I use to connect, even though I followed their guide to the "t".

Is indeed I need , or its better to buy a third party modem I wont have a problem.

The only reason I use the Hitron is because it has all build in Switch, router and im only running the connection to my main PC and  another cable to the Samsung tv.

The kids and us also use WiFi from that Hitron and that is ok.

Thank you for trying to help.

I'm Here A Lot

Hi @Datalink Can you please help? im waiting for your expertise..

I appreciate it

Cheers