cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

horrible speeds over VPN

hoek
I plan to stick around

Hi,

I recently switched to Rogers gigabit from Bell. I have a CODA-4582 modem, firmware 2.0.10.34T6.

I frequently work from home connecting to work over a Cisco VPN.

Everything is much slower compared to when I was on Bell and compared to a friend using a TP-Link modem on Teksavvy.

This post seems to indicate a problem with processing VPN traffic:
http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Rogers-Hitron-CODA-4582-Hardware/td-p/378263/page/150

I won't pretend to understand it all but I can definitely see there is a problem with this modem related to VPN traffic.

Copying down large files is out of the question now and RDP connections are much less responsive.
During a file copy I see speeds around 1-2 Mbps and sometimes only a few 100 KBps. On Bell it was a steady 4-5 MBps.

I've tried bridged and gateway mode doesn't matter.
It seems there has been some issue about this since 2016.  Is there any resolution?

I'd be willing to try beta firmware, different modem (though I imagine nothing else is available).

Its great and all that 5 people in the house can stream 1080p youtube but it kinda kills things for me if simple telework activities are crippled by modem firmware.

*** Edited Labels ***

66 REPLIES 66

Re: horrible speeds over VPN

hjasdf
I've been here awhile

I have not found anyone that gets what I am trying to say. If it is working it is working right.. uhh.. Support was not much help - turn it off and on again type of thing. I have not tried NAT-T yet - I also don't have IPv6 on the line as I heard that may provide better luck. I have tries using globalprotect client directly (via ssl vpn type / sstp) with no issues at all. But not a trunk which is what i need. A while back I tried EoIP via Mikrotik which seemed to work (lots of fragmentation though).

ingae
I've been here awhile

FYI, Rogers was able to offer us a solution: they have a different Internet service over cable (Ethernet over Cable) under Enterprise using an Arris modem. VPN appears to be working fine on it. We're in a process of switching to that service.

bzbaksh
I've been around

Is Ethernet over cable not the standard Rogers Install? (Coax from street to your house, house coax to your router, ethernet / wifi to devices)?

I too, switched from Bell as I moved out and was getting my workplace's max speeds down / up but on rogers it appears I'm being "capped" at MB/s even though I have 1gbps down and 30 up. 

What did you ask Rogers to do for you exactly? 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@bzbaksh 

1. Are you using a VPN per this thread?

2. If so, please disable it temporarily to check speeds.

3. Are you connected from a PC (or laptop or similar) directly using an Ethernet cable with nothing between that computer and your modem/gateway?

4. What is the make/model of your Rogers modem/gateway?

5. What is the make/model of your computer?  Some older equipment may have lower capabilities.

6. In your post you mention MB/s. What is the speed you're getting in mbps (down/up)?

7. Are you using a speed test site, like Rogers?

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/internet-speedtest/

8. Be aware that hundreds of people have reported low speeds on this forum and there has always been an issue with the customer and not with the Rogers speed at the modem/gateway.

9.  If WiFi connection is used, please see the following hints:

https://www.rogers.com/support/internet/optimize-your-home-wifi

Topic Stats