cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XB6 Modem Settings/Requests/Firmware Discussion

gp-se
I'm an advisor

Hey guys, I noticed we don't have a dedicated thread on the XB6 modem like the Hitrons. I'm making this thread so we can talk about the various settings and requests for future changes through firmware updates. For me the biggest issues with the modem is we cannot block specific devices from internet access and we cannot use custom DNS servers.

With the Hitrons we could use a custom DNS without issues, and if we bridge the modem we can also use a custom DNS so I don't see why we aren't given the option with the XB6. The Xi6 boxes don't require using Rogers DNS since in bridge mode they are using whatever DNS the user has specified. For security and privacy reasons it's nice being able to choose whatever DNS server we want, and also being able to block devices like personal NAS and IoT from network access.

I know everyone is going to say put the XB6 in bridge mode and problem solved, however besides these two issues my XB6 isn't that bad. The range and speed suits my needs so why should I buy another $200-$300 router just so I can use a custom DNS and block some devices from the internet. Hopefully Rogers listens to our feedback and gives us more control like on the Hitrons.

***EDITED LABELS***

192 REPLIES 192

Re: XB6 Modem Settings/Requests/Firmware Discussion

parkoo
I'm here a lot

No split down the line it is direct from the panel in basement. I definitely have a white flashing light right on top of the coax input in back of my modem.

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
I got new firmware overnight:

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version:Prod_19.3_d31 & Prod_19.3
Software Image Name:CGM4140COM_4.6p6s3_PROD_sey
Advanced Services:CGM4140COM
Packet Cable:2.0

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
I can confirm I cannot reserve IP addresses now with my firmware upgrade.

sikhness
I plan to stick around
@Don_Ca,
Are you now also getting the "Failure! Please check your inputs" error? They completely broke this router.

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

@Don_Ca wrote:
I can confirm I cannot reserve IP addresses now with my firmware upgrade.

... and I  definitely CAN reserve IP addresses.

My gateway firmware was updated recently as is now shown as:

Software Image Name:CGM4140COM_4.4p8s1_PROD_sey

I have added a reserved address and it shows up in the device list as shown here:

Host Name DHCP/Reserved IPRSSI Level Connection    
BigDrive

Reserved IP

NAEthernet 

NOTE that this an ethernet-connected device, not wifi, so I cannot speak about any problems reserving IPs on WIFI devices.

This particular device, by the way, is not connected DIRECTLY to the gateway.

I have reconfigured my system slightly from that described in previous posts.

The Rogers gateway is providing the WIFI while my own old Linksys router has now been put in "bridge" mode, and acts as an access point.  So the Linksys uses one of the gateway's hard ports, and 4 hard-wire devices use the 4 Linksys ports.  All 4 of these devices are seen by the Rogers gateway as being part of ITS network, and are also seen as being "ethernet hard-wired". 

And ONE of those is the device with the reserved IP. 

This works just as seamlessly as it did when the Linksys was the "router" before Rogers IGNITE. 

sikhness
I plan to stick around
@ColdGranite,
If you look at your firmware version, it's actually older than the one I and @Don_Ca have. This "newer" firmware that we have has IP reservation broken and fails everytime you try to do it. I also have a similar setup to you that worked when I had the same older firmware version as you.

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
It is the Inputs error, no matter which way I do it. Not really an issue for me, I use static addresses for anything that I want to have a static address.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

Anyone having issues with OFDM? My modem has been using QAM instead of OFDM for downstream. This has been going on for a few weeks now, I don't know if this is firmware related or an area issue. My house is FTTH/RFoG so signal levels are always perfect. 

Software Image Name:CGM4140COM_4.4p8s1_PROD_sey

sikhness
I plan to stick around
@Don_Ca,
How are you setting static IPs for the devices that need it? I have been trying to do that from XB6 and reserving it that way but now that's broken.

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor

I set the DHCP range on the XB6 so that it only gives out IP addresses in a smaller range (i.e .100-. 200 in a 192.168.1.x network) and use the first 99 for static.  I then set the addresses on the devices themselves using IP addresses in the first .99.   So my main computer has a static IP, my printer's have a static IP, my managed switch, etc.  Making sure you are not using the whole range of IP addresses for DHCP is important so that you do not overlap and get duplicates.   

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

@Don_Ca wrote:

I set the DHCP range on the XB6 so that it only gives out IP addresses in a smaller range (i.e .100-. 200 in a 192.168.1.x network) and use the first 99 for static.  I then set the addresses on the devices themselves using IP addresses in the first .99.   So my main computer has a static IP, my printer's have a static IP, my managed switch, etc.  Making sure you are not using the whole range of IP addresses for DHCP is important so that you do not overlap and get duplicates.   

There seems to be an interesting quirk with the XB6 in that:

... if you try to set a "reserved IP" on a device directly from the device list in the XB6, then that IP address has to be WITHIN the DHCP range that you set.... even though you are specifying "reserved" and not DHCP.

Yet when you set the static IP via the device itself as you describe, then the IP address can be outside the DHCP range of addresses... and the XB6 DOES recognize it and continues to provide access to the device.  

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

Using my Linksys router in "bridge mode" to act as an access point for 3 hardwired devices.  All works fine.

BUT... just noticed an interesting feature:

With 3 devices plugged into the Linksys...

... it does not seem to matter whether I plug the Rogers XB6 gateway  into the Linksys OUTPUT port (as I would expect is normally required).... or plug it into the remaining 4th device port (which I would have expected to be an error).   

No matter which way it is plugged in, the other 3 connected devices STILL get their IP address assigned by the gateway and get access to the gateway and to the world.

@ColdGranite wrote:

Using my Linksys router in "bridge mode" to act as an access point for 3 hardwired devices.  All works fine.

BUT... just noticed an interesting feature:

With 3 devices plugged into the Linksys...

... it does not seem to matter whether I plug the Rogers XB6 gateway  into the Linksys OUTPUT port (as I would expect is normally required).... or plug it into the remaining 4th device port (which I would have expected to be an error).   

No matter which way it is plugged in, the other 3 connected devices STILL get their IP address assigned by the gateway and get access to the gateway and to the world.

That's actually to be expected.  When you enable Bridge Mode, all of your router's network interfaces get bridged together to form a single logical network.

I have confirmed that the ip address when set by device can be out of range, and still works very interesting indeed.

stepy2015
I plan to stick around

Can we get a thread like we do for the Hitron modems, detailing the firmware changelog and possibly beta firmware?

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
A firmware changelog would be great. Then we could test the changes and give feedback.

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor

I got a new version overnight:

Software Image Name:CGM4140COM_4.4p10s2_PROD_sey

Reserved IP addresses work again. 

kibosh
I plan to stick around

That seems to be a downgrade in firmware from your last version.  Just curious, are you part of a beta program (or maybe your modem's serial is unknowingly registered)?  You receive firmware versions that I never even end up receiving.  Many years ago I was part of the beta firmware program for the CODA modems.

sikhness
I plan to stick around

Yea @Don_Ca,

I think you were definitely downgraded somehow. I'm on a newer firmware version than you somehow and that definitely does not have Reserved IPs working. I'm not signed up for any beta programs either.

Software Image Name:CGM4140COM_4.6p7s1_PROD_sey

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
No, I was upgraded, it is newer than my old version.

kibosh
I plan to stick around
Two weeks ago you had CGM4140COM_4.6p6s3_PROD_sey

Now you have CGM4140COM_4.4p10s2_PROD_sey

Seems like a downgrade to me.
Topic Stats