cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requesting installation of FTTH (Fiber to the Home) internet?

MichaelL
I've been around

I was a Rogers customer before. months ago, one Rogers rep knocked on the door to notify me that the FTTH is available at my address and told me someone will come to. install FTTH for me if I switched to Rogers interenet.

and I also saw some workers laid the fiber cable to the side of my house. but currently, when I called the Rogers customer service, they had no idea about FTTH, still ask me to use coax if I want to use Rogers internet.  

which department or person should  I contact if I want to use FTTH Rogers internet ? 

**Adding Labels**

46 REPLIES 46

Re: Requesting installation of FTTH (Fiber to the Home) internet?

Thanks for replying with standard statement, which in any case didn't gave any answer to  my questions. I though you had  hard time to understand so i called below mention number as rogers website is asking to do so

"

How and when can I get Fibre to the Home?

First, we need your consent to connect the new fibre network to your home. Give our agents a call at  1 844 760-3908 to let them know you want your address connected. Then, they will consult our construction schedule to let you know if and when your residence will receive Fibre to the Home. " https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/faqs-about-rogers-fibre-internet

I gave a call at 1 844 760-3908 day before yesterday and spoke to one of your Ignite representative ( i was transferred ) : they said "my friend Rogers doesn't have fiber at all if you need fiber then call BELL" Most hilarious reply from a representative whose company is promoting Fiber and they  are promoting BELL Fiber. I told that i wanna talk to a senior first denied but finally agreed and kept me on hold for 30min. I finally hanged. 

I again took courage to call Rogers today : This time representative said that they have fiber (thank God) and will let you know when its available in your area.

I said i called for giving consent that you can connect my house to FTTH.  replied:" you dont need to, once you have fiber in your area then we will call you to take consent. wow wow Then why website is saying we should give consent by calling to Rogers??????????????????????????

No one is sure in Rogers that what to with Fiber and how to communicate with customer.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Lucky2050 wrote:

I again took courage to call Rogers today : This time representative said that they have fiber (thank God) and will let you know when its available in your area.

I said i called for giving consent that you can connect my house to FTTH.  replied:" you dont need to, once you have fiber in your area then we will call you to take consent. wow wow Then why website is saying we should give consent by calling to Rogers??????????????????????????

No one is sure in Rogers that what to with Fiber and how to communicate with customer.

Did you actually have construction crews in your area laying fibre in your neighbourhood for Rogers?  When this happens, you will see signs on the road and cards hung on your front door announcing the availability of upgraded services, and ask for you to provide consent for fibre to be installed into your home.

I had crews in my subdivision last summer laying underground fibre for Rogers but no notifications were placed on my door, and I don't expect to get FTTH anytime soon.  For all I know, Rogers may only be prepping to install Remote PHY in my area, essentially fibre-to-the-curb.

Others customers have fibre going into their homes but this is only for RFoG; the signal comes into the home over fibre and gets converted to coax, so it's still essentially the same service as what we currently get over coax.

A few areas are starting to get true FTTH installed, and I'm guessing that this will be based on EPON, but I have no idea when or if I will ever be getting anything like this in my neighbourhood.

All that Rogers can do is tell you whether or not FTTH actually is currently available at your address.  If it is not, it could be weeks, months or years before it is available.

stepy2015
I plan to stick around

I was googling and recently noticed this FAQ article about Fiber to the Home:

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/faqs-about-rogers-fibre-internet

We have been having a lot of issues with packet loss and instability with our internet, we are still waiting for a fix but that got me thinking about fiber, as I am almost certain that would help with some of our ping and packet loss issues 

But I have some questions, if we were to get it:

Does it cost anything at all?

Do we have to switch plans? 

Is it true fiber? do we get a new modem or any other equipment to support it?

For anyone that has it how does it work? Would you recommend it? 

Fiber to the home is something I am very interested in as I believe our underground cable may need to be replaced by rogers anyway now or in the near future as it is pretty old and to me fiber to the home sounds like a more future proof idea

@stepy2015 wrote:

I was googling and recently noticed this FAQ article about Fiber to the Home:

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/faqs-about-rogers-fibre-internet

We have been having a lot of issues with packet loss and instability with our internet, we are still waiting for a fix but that got me thinking about fiber, as I am almost certain that would help with some of our ping and packet loss issues 

But I have some questions, if we were to get it:

Does it cost anything at all?

Do we have to switch plans? 

Is it true fiber? do we get a new modem or any other equipment to support it?

For anyone that has it how does it work? Would you recommend it? 

Fiber to the home is something I am very interested in as I believe our underground cable may need to be replaced by rogers anyway now or in the near future as it is pretty old and to me fiber to the home sounds like a more future proof idea

@stepy2015 

I live in a new subdivision with both Rogers and Bell FTTH. The plans are the same as Coax, there is no additional charge because it's fibre. The modem is also the same (XB6 or Hitron), the only difference is where the fiber comes into the house it goes through a "convertor" that converts it to RG6 Coax to the modem. So the technology is still DOCSIS with the same performance as Coax. I noticed Zero difference from my old house which was Coax and my new house which is Fiber, both connections feel exactly the same.

stepy2015
I plan to stick around

Does your DOCSIS Signal stay consistent because I find ours does not and we have to have a tech out to fix it every so often

WestPoint
I plan to stick around

i dont know why i bother coming back here at all anymore.... but I just wanted to say this, after everything i've previously said about FFTH in my area having been laid under our lawns by Rogers in 2019, but no service upgrade tags left, and unable to get any reps on the phone who can connect myself or any of my neighbors to this service.

You just said, among other things im tired of saying about my area;
"The modem is also the same (XB6 or Hitron), the only difference is where the fiber comes into the house it goes through a "convertor" that converts it to RG6 Coax to the modem. So the technology is still DOCSIS with the same performance as Coax"

THATS FINE BY ME, at this point, i need actual STABLE SERVICE.... since the DAY i got Gigagbit service in 2018! I have not had even a single 7 day period of stable service. I have had the coax line replaced THREE times from the node right thru my house into the modem. EVERY SINGLE PEICE OF CABLE, to the point, that I now have NO cable boxes connected and a direct line straight into my modem from the node (no joking, there is not even a single splitter or anything). and STILL no stable connection, and HORRIBLE signal numbers, and never any resolution.

The last on site tech I had from like Tier 3 support or w.e, with somthing like 20 years of working for Rogers, flat out told me, its because im literally the LAST HOUSE on the block, the furthest run, well over 600 feet of cable between the node and my home he said. No other phone support or online agent would be straight up with me and just admit that COAX is not stable for consistent gigabit speeds; gaming, streaming, working at the same time, on those run lengths, compacted with the age and tech in my node feeding the line and total area usage.

So, even though you said, "The modem is also the same (XB6 or Hitron), the only difference is where the fiber comes into the house it goes through a "convertor" that converts it to RG6 Coax to the modem."; that would still be an INSANE improvement for MY network, to have my "node"/"converter" physically in my home, stable fiber connection, and only using like a 10ft or less Coax cable to the modem. I cant even explain how much this would fix every issue ive had with Rogers for several YEARS, all in one shot.

I've said it on other threads before, cant remember if I've said it here before, but i have a home network with well OVER 40 wireless devices, PLUS a 32-port gigabit commercial grade network switch FULL, running all my smart home Lutron light switches, hue light bulbs, outdoor lights, alexa speakers in every room, my home office setup includes 3 desktop computers, 3 laptops, and a remote VPN network connection running 24/7 on all 3 for my accountants to use on site and remote access to our secure servers, and I could continue.... but the shear NUMBER of devices i have running, with CONSTANT internet/wifi/network traffic.... I need the connection to be stable every millisecond, and even giving me the service you have, would be literally 1000 times better than what I've had for years.

And the fact is, I dont care what rogers database says I dont have the service on my street for fiber, or blah blah blah... i physically WATCHED them dig up every yard on my street and run the cable, with ROGERS signs on the sidewalks, and I asked the guys on MY LAWN who they worked for and was told ROGERS, but yet no upgraded service has been given to my neighborhood and I cant seem to get anyone at Rogers to admit this cable was installed on my property.

TO BE HONEST, I have HALF A MIND to dig it up and cut it out of my lawn and remove the box they installed.
If it doesn't belong to Rogers as I was told on installation, and its not being used to supply service to my home as I was told, i don't want it on my property.

ALSO, just a foot note, BELL, has had my direct next door neighbor on full FTTH direct into his HomeHub 3000, since 2018. 

Just saying, its sad on Rogers part, to think i would continue to believe the lines that there is no FTTH from Rogers for my house just because some computer database says no or some stupid call center people don't know how to find out the truth and aren't willing to try. I have SEEN WITH MY OWN EYES they installed cables, BELL did it nearly THREE years ago on my block, and Im sick and tired of the company lines.,

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@WestPoint wrote:

...I cant seem to get anyone at Rogers to admit this cable was installed on my property.

TO BE HONEST, I have HALF A MIND to dig it up and cut it out of my lawn and remove the box they installed.

Sorry to hear about your issues, however, the service is not on your property/lawn. It's on an easement or right of way, or simply municipal/county property.  There are usually a couple of metres or more from the roadway designated for utilities, etc.  This is outlined on the survey of your home/property. 

https://www.thebalance.com/facts-about-easements-and-rights-of-way-1797737

WestPoint
I plan to stick around

Look, let me start with, I have no intention of actually touching the stupid thing, it was a way of expressing my frustration with this non-sense. Next, im not going to sit here and waste my time arguing with someone who is going by general information, not specific information on the topic, even if I WAS going to go dig the thing up. Normally, and in most cases, you would be 100% correct. but not in mine 🙂 Ill keep it quick, and im done.

First thing to note, besides my water and gas lines, all my power ect all comes in from above ground lines on posts sunk into the sidewalk, OFF my property, not my lawn on the edge of the sidewalk like you would find on most properties.

Next and much more pointed.... I not only have serval copies of my land deed for my house, including property diagrams, but I also had a dig inspection done LAST YEAR before I did a full house water proofing, new weeping tile and everything, 6ft down, and also installed 3 ponds, fences and bushes DIRECTLY along the sidewalk of my property, and locked gates ect. (all after "rogers" installed this fiber line), I almost put in a pool, just decided it was not worth the cost for only 4 months of the year getting proper use. The point is, i was ready, and di for the most part, dig up atleast 60% of my property, atleast 4-6ft deep. I also have all my permits and contractor invoices ect. And to top it all off, one of my neighbors called Toronto by-law on me while i was doing the fences last summer, 2019, claiming exactly as you just did, that I cannot build up to the sidewalk and prevent access to my property, including the front door, without access thru one of my locked gates, due to "right of way" for the mail man, meter readers, ect...

WELL by-law showed up, and reviewed all my paperwork and locations, and sided with ME. My property inspection, property deed, and permits, CLEARLY shows that I OWN every inch of my property right up to the sidewalk itself. ALSO to note here, this supposed fiber line, ISNT on the dig report, so as far as I was concerned, it shouldn't be there or exist to begin with. The inspector chocked that upto the line being so recent before my renovation work and dig inspections, and "asked me" to be careful, so i gave it a wide berth BY CHOICE, but didnt HAVE TOO by any definition at that point, because as far as the city/myself was concerned, its not/shouldnt be there.

So to explain why.... after by-law did MULTIPLE passes by my house, measurements, spray paint everywhere, and had multiple conversations with me and reviewing documents supposedly at "city hall", the conclusion was, the street/sidewalk was redone like 25 years ago or something, just around the time my mother originally bought this house that I now inherited, and when they did that, the "buffer" space between the sidewalk and property lines of the houses, on ONLY my side of the street, which is even funnier, was accidently ignored/destroyed, and the sidewalk was paved directly against the property lines instead of 3-6ft out as it should have been, to leave the "easement" or "boulevard" or "utility run" or what ever you prefer to call it, space.

BUT, my end point is here, that BY LAW already has a VERY RECENT record of my situation and inspection, and on-record in Aug of 2019, it states that I have full permission to build/dig anywhere inside of the sidewalk on my property as long as I watch for the Natural Gas and Water lines. The ONLY "recommendations" I was given by by-law was to have 1 unlocked gate for mail access/door knockers, police, ect, to avoid future problems/complaints. Which I do. and I have 2 IP cameras pointed at it at all times.

So even IF, and thats a big IF in my opinion, Rogers was granted "right of way" or "easement access" on my property by the city, not only does no one seems to know that, including Rogers, who says the cable isnt there, and therefore, I dont have to abide by any restrictions of any kind, as far as Im concerned, its been put on MY property, ILLEGALLY and UNWATED, and there is no municipal land or "easement" land on my property according to the TORONTO CITY BY LAW and IF i chose to remove it and cut the wires off at the edge of my property/neighbors yard, I have no legal obligation to stop in any enforceable way, and I have the documentation of the by-law investigation as well to use as proof that anything I choose to do, Im allowed to do.

I was NOT told I cannot build right upto the sidewalk/property lines on my property inspection and dig reports.

I was NOT told about ANY underground cables of ANY kind on the report.
And right upto TODAY, Rogers says the cable doesnt exist.  (Which either means, in my opinion, its not "allowed"/"registered" to be there by/with the city and/or shouldn't be there at all)

Either way, like i said, i have zero intention of removing it, i want to USE IT, not remove it, but, regardless of anyone's situation, mine or the next person's, this is the most ridiculous situation I have ever been a part of, that Rogers would hide behind scripted lines and excuses and frankly, in my opinion, lies, for atleast 1.5 full years now, to avoid answering its long-term customers with a specific answer to their specific situations, is just appalling. 

And to have the cable access for over a year, staring me in the face, but I cant use it, all the while Rogers uses excuses like, "its not in your area", or like you tried "its not on your property directly" so you cant touch it even if it is "in your area" , is just like stepping on my neck while im already on the ground. Unbelievable. 

WestPoint
I plan to stick around

Anyways, im done with reaching out to Rogers to try to upgrade my services, willing to even PAY for new installation costs and increased monthly billing, and cant get anywhere.

And what, 95% of the people here, yourself included, are not actual Rogers employees, so your basically just trolls and auto-reply bots for Rogers customers who come here.

The moment, and I mean the DAY Bell pushes complete IPv6 support onto its Fibe network, Rogers will be loosing a life-long customer permanently. And I know for sure I wont be the only one.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@WestPoint wrote:

i dont know why i bother coming back here at all anymore.... but I just wanted to say this, after everything i've previously said about FFTH in my area having been laid under our lawns by Rogers in 2019, but no service upgrade tags left, and unable to get any reps on the phone who can connect myself or any of my neighbors to this service

If Rogers has only brought fibre to your curb, they may not actually be installing fibre-to-the-home in your area anytime soon.  They may only be installing Remote PHY in your neighbourhood, in which case your Internet service will continue to be delivered over coax.

It's also possible that Rogers is readying your neighbourhood for FTTH.  However, just because Rogers (or any telecom) has laid fibre doesn't mean that they will light it up immediately.  The fact that it is taking a long time may actually be a blessing in disguise, long term.

According to: https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/faqs-about-rogers-fibre-internet

What products and services can I get with this new technology, and what will they cost?

We’re installing Fibre to the Home now so that we’re ready for next-generation technology and services as they become available.

We’ll have more information about available services and pricing once we launch them in your area.

The first sentence in the answer is telling.  RFoG (what was described a few posts ago) is yesterday's tech, not next gen, so when Rogers does finally light up the fibre, you may be able to get your Internet service over something like EPON.  That will be worth waiting for.  As for the second sentence, you won't hear anything until they are ready to launch the service upgrade.

Rogers may also not be in any position to do any FTTH installs until COVID restrictions are lifted and their techs can enter your home to terminate the fibre and prep for the upcoming installation.  Before any of that can happen, Rogers will also need to ask for your consent before they can even bring fibre from your curb toward your home, and before that next construction phase can happen, you will see "dial before you dig" crews performing locates on your property.

I understand your frustrations given the service issues that you have been describing.  However, if any service upgrades in your area are either planned or are imminent, Rogers would have open tickets associated with either your area/postal code and/or your local node.

gcerullo
I plan to stick around

How does someone unsubscribe from this message thread or at least stop the email notifications for it. It is becoming ridiculous now and I don't want to hear about it any longer.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gcerullo wrote:

How does someone unsubscribe from this message thread or at least stop the email notifications for it. It is becoming ridiculous now and I don't want to hear about it any longer.

On the "Options" drop-down next to the Reply button, select 'Unsubscribe".

WestPoint
I plan to stick around

Wow... ok... not even unpacking all of that cuz its not worth my time to correct why just about everything you said either is wrong or doesnt apply to my situation specifically.

The only thing im addressing before im done with these forums for good is this statement;

"Rogers may also not be in any position to do any FTTH installs until COVID restrictions are lifted and their techs can enter your home to terminate the fibre and prep for the upcoming installation.  Before any of that can happen, Rogers will also need to ask for your consent before they can even bring fibre from your curb toward your home, and before that next construction phase can happen, you will see "dial before you dig" crews performing locates on your property."

OK, first, there are NO COVID restrictions preventing anyone from entering customers homes. I literally JUST had Enercare do my fall service for my Furnace on Wednesday last week, like what 4 days ago?, including changing my air filter full of pet hair, ect. and they did that NO QUESTIONS ASKED. PPE was worn by the tech and myself, and I ensured only myself on the property at the time, no pets ect, and a clear direct path and access. Very simple. 

Using COVID Restrictions is an EXCUSE not a REASON for anything.

Next, consent, well... IVE TRIED TO GIVE IT like 60 times, and NO ONE at Rogers, seems able to TAKE MY CONSENT and get this things going, this is the entire problem!! I sincerely doubt youll find anyone who wont give their consent for better more stable services, but when you literally have customers reaching trying to GIVE THEIR CONSENT, and you wont even talk to them??? Come on Rogers....

Anyways, thats all... im done.... wont be coming back every again to these forums and when I cancel my Rogers services for Bell eventually, ill make sure to let Rogers know it was a toss up between these forums and lack of any real support, and their total disregard for 20+year customers reaching out for help and answers other than the lines we've been fed since at very least, early 2019.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gcerullo wrote:

Another option:  Click your icon at the top right of the screen when logged in. Go to "My Subscriptions"  then Notification Settings.  Then deselect the appropriate option(s).  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@WestPoint wrote: And what, 95% of the people here, yourself included, are not actual Rogers employees, so your basically just trolls and auto-reply bots for Rogers customers who come here.

You're right that the Resident Experts here are not Rogers Employees. We are volunteers who try to help people and try to provide information.  We are not trolls or bots; we are human beings.

We have the same issue, we called the 1-844-760-3908 and were transferred 4 times today and no one really could answer if we are able to get the fibre optics directly to the house, ours currently goes to a "node" shared by our whole cul-de-sac so there are frequent issues, open tickets etc. that never really resolves the issue.  Where can we find out if it can be brought directly from the node to the house, apparently it's on the pole in our backyard.

Thank you.

Hello @dougkitchen!

Thanks for joining us in the community and for your first post! We're sorry to hear you've had a tough time getting the info you are looking for regarding FTTH. We'll do our best to help out!

If you’re interested in having fibre to your home, we can arrange that depending on where your address is on the construction schedule. If your address is currently eligible, you can provide us with verbal consent and we can take your name and address down and make sure the fibre drop is added to your home. Please note: this construction work is at no cost to you. Please send us a Private Message @CommunityHelps so we may have a look to confirm.

For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, please check out our blog. If you haven't already, you may also refer to our FTTH FAQs for answers to other possible questions you may have: 

Thank you,

RogersLaura

This link goes nowhere

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Debicorbett : Are you talking about the last link in post 38? It works fine for me going to the FAQs.  If you can't see that FAQ, it's possible there is an issue with your browser/settings/extensions/popup blockers, etc. See the following post on that topic:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Unable-to-load-certain-website-s-and-or-videos/m-p/46...

If that's not what you meant, please clarify by providing more information.

Nick_W
I plan to stick around

@CommunityHelps doesnt seem to be a valid address to send a PM to.

What address should we use?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Nick_W wrote:

@CommunityHelps doesnt seem to be a valid address to send a PM to.

Make sure you're logged in, then when you click on @CommunityHelps as a hyperlink, you can see "Send this user a Private Message" on the right side of the screen. You can also follow the instructions in the following post:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Rogers-Community-Forums-Blog/Get-to-know-your-Community-How-To...

Don't insert the @ if you're sending a PM from your private messages, just type in communityhelps.

Topic Stats