cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitron CGN3ACSMR software v. 4.5.8.45 - internet connection fails when in bridge mode

User021
I plan to stick around

I have been using bridge mode for many years.

Starting a couple of months ago, my internet connection would fail periodically. Rebooting the rogers modem and my router (Asus RT-AC87U), the internet would recover.

Starting a week ago, the internet would fail multiple times per day. After contacting Rogers tech support, they said that the modem / signal levels were fine. I went ahead and purchased a new Asus AX-11000, but the problem persisted. The router was reporting errors: "DHCP does not function correctly"

I phoned Rogers tech support again, and this time the technician said that he was seeing an issue with the 'node' on my street.

He opened a ticket and said that I would be contacted.

Three days went by, and I called back, and was told by a third tech support rep, that they would dispatch a technician to the house.

During the visit, he said that the node was definitely having issues, and he say that there were eight modems that were all failing at the same time. He also said that Rogers does not support bridge mode.

He suggested hooking up a computer directly to the modem (still in bridge mode), and when I used a Mac Book air, the Mac was able to obtain an IP address, and the internet appeared to work.

So, the tech basically said at that point that the Asus routers were not compatible with bridge mode. But,  I had been using the exact same router for years, so any change must have happened at the Rogers end.

There are lots of posts on the web related to dhcp issues with Rogers - some very detailed, discussing that the unicast dhcp server address not being served up correctly.

What I can't reconcile is why the mac's dhcp client implementation seems to work but the Asus (on two different models) did not?

In the end, I reset the Hitron unit, and I am now running it in Gateway mode, and my Asus in AP mode. Everything seems to working, but the internet is still unstable, owing to the 'node' issue.

I would like to understand why though the dhcp infrastructure behavior changed  that prevented the Asus routers from working properly with the rogers modem in bridge modem. I'm not crazy about having the Rogers wifi running at the same time as the Asus router's wifi networks.

***EDITED LABELS***

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Hitron CGN3ACSMR software v. 4.5.8.45 - internet connection fails when in bridge mode

RogersYasmine

Good day, @User021!

Hopefully, this message finds you safe and well! Thanks for posting your concerns here in the community!

It is true that we typically do not support issues with third party equipment. If the signals and service seem to be fine while connected via a wired, Ethernet connection, then we'd have to assume the problem is being caused by something else. 

You mentioned that there was a concern with a local node that was brought up by one of our techs...do you know if that issue ever got solved or is it still under investigation? I will also tag in some of our more experienced RE's in case they'd like to weigh in or provide some advice: @-G-, @Gdkitty, @Datalink

Thanks so much,

RogersLaura

Re: Hitron CGN3ACSMR software v. 4.5.8.45 - internet connection fails when in bridge mode

User021
I plan to stick around

As far as I know the issue is still under investigation.

Apparently the network infrastructure team will not reach out to me to inform me of what if anything they found / fixed.

I have to call into tech support to ask if there if there has been anything logged on the ticket.

The internet service is still failing randomly and then seems to recover.

I need to be able to get bridged mode to work - port forwarding does not seem to work and this is a critical function for me to have working.

I find it odd that the dhcp leases are only for 1 hour, that seems very short and I think that this is part of the problem. Maybe there is a time sync issue between the node and the backend, and the leases are being terminated too early?

I found this article in the forums:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Rogers-DHCP-server-misconfigured/td-p/447864

But this user was just pointing out a misconfiguration that didn't actually impact his service.

User021
I plan to stick around
No action on the 'node' yet. I am not DMing someone at Rogers.

User021
I plan to stick around

Just to provide an update and closure - since the modem was replaced, and an attenuator added to the modem's coax cable, the internet service has been stable.

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 in conversation