Node Congestion

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
flash67
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Node Congestion

Bro, this couldn't be more accurate.

The best news has come up recently and that Wightman Telecom will be investing 50+ Million $ in TRUE fibre to the house for the entire infrastructure in my town. 

This is all I can hope for or pray something still happens in August regarding the node segregation.

MEIR22
I've Been Here Awhile

The last few weeks - once or twice a day - we lose connection to all devices in the house for about a minute or two - and then it goes back. During that time all devices show as connected - the modem is flashing properly as if it is working - but nothing is working. Happens every day at least once - sometimes in middle of day and sometimes late at night. Frustrating as we lose zoom connection - or a whatsapp call etc. I am paying for 500 service - with Hitron modem - so top of line - but lately the service is awful. Rogers tech support noticed there is congested node in my area - so said will create ticket - but does anyone think that is the issue?

maniac
I'm Here A Lot

I loose connection multiple times a day. Sometimes it's for a few seconds. Sometimes it's a minute. Regardless, everything dies (Online meetings; YouTube Streaming; all my google devices go offline, etc).  Then a few seconds later everything comes back. It's so aggravating.

I've tried to have a continuous Ping running on my computer to keep an eye on it, and I see it drop packets randomly throughout the day when everything goes out.

Rogers is terrible. Tech Support actually said to me "It even happens to me sir; there are a lot of people home using internet these days."

carmelo9313
I've Been Here Awhile

Wow I am in the exact same boat! My ticket is still open and they finally told me it was the node. They have done nothing
super_robot
I Plan to Stick Around

I went through the same hoops at my old house and in the 4 years I was there they didn’t fix it.

A “tentative” date for the node segmentation was scheduled for this past Dec 15 but I had moved by then.
carmelo9313
I've Been Here Awhile

It's really sad they make us pay full price and they knew there is a problem. It took months for them to even tell me about the node. They're selling broken slow internet and doing it with a smile!
super_robot
I Plan to Stick Around

Open a dispute with CCTS

https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/
carmelo9313
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you!
AngryChicken
I Plan to Stick Around

Sadly, I was finally compelled to open a dispute with Commission for Complaints for Telecom-television Services (CCTS).  Our node was supposed to be relieved of its congestion (seems appropriate at this time of year!) in the summer of 2020 and when all I heard were crickets out in the fields instead of cabling and construction crews, I politely inquired in October 2020.  That's when I found that it had been pushed back and shovels wouldn't be in the ground until July 2021 - September 2021. This will be a year later than they said, and they will have the benefit of a further $1200.00 of my money while my neighbours and I wait.

I have all this documented in my private messages with the excellent Rogers staff who help us out on these forums.  It must be very saddening for them when they communicate good news to their customers based on what the core network infrastructure team tells them, only to have these hopes dashed.  

The Commission has agreed to pursue my complaint and Rogers has 15 days to reply.  I am not hopeful that they will do as promised and relieve this terrible congestion which all the stay-at-home workers and learners has created.  I hope I am pleasantly surprised, but in the meantime I've been shovelling thousands of $$ into the Rogers coffers for a service which is intermittently substandard and for long blocks of time.  I don't have any choices where I live and have been using a competitor's very reliable but dog slow DSL service as a backup for when I lose connectivity entirely.  Meanwhile, instead of reinvesting the money their subscribers are paying them for internet service on new infrastructure, Rogers instead (and cynically) rolls trucks and pays contractors to replace cables and instructs users to replace modems in the hope that the placebo effect will fool customers into thinking that everything has been fixed.  At least until the next round of outages, brutal latency, and not-exactly-realtime-because-the-network-can't-cope conference calls and FaceTime video calls with fellow locked-down loved ones.

How to open a dispute with CCTS -> https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/

I'm a network engineer, working from home like many other people, and cannot afford to not be connected.  I regularly spend hours remoting into client sites (private and public sector) and the fact that I understand the technology and how things could be made better and cannot do anything about it is deeply frustrating.

carmelo9313
I've Been Here Awhile

That was a great read. I have also opened a case with the CCTS. It's pretty sad they continue to take our money knowing we are not getting proper service.