cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite WiFi Gateway Modem XB7 (Gen 2)

timdesouza
I'm Here A Lot

I've seen ref to a Gen 2 Ignite Gateway modem Easy Setup Guide – Ignite WiFi Gateway Modem (Gen 2) – XB7 | Rogers - Rogers and it looks like there are more ethernet ports based on the images provided but I would like to know if there is more to it than just the extra ports. A search of Rogers.com only returns the link above and nothing else. I'm interested to know does it support wifi 6 technology.

Thx.

Tim.

*** Edited Labels ***

Tim
Long time Rogers customer
144 REPLIES 144

Re: Ignite WiFi Gateway Modem XB7 (Gen 2)

@RogersLaura wrote:

Just to clarify, you are saying that you are unable to select the radio button for "Manual"? Is it just greyed out for you?

An alternative would be to simply reboot your modem and that should change the channel for you. I'll also tag in some of our more tech savvy Resident Experts @-G- @Gdkitty @ColdGranite to see if they can assist any further. 

As far as I know, on new installs, like it or not, the Ignite WiFi Hub will always enabled and once the Ignite WiFi Hub takes over management of the gateway, most of your Wi-Fi management needs to be done through the Ignite WiFi Hub.  It should still be possible to manually change WiFi channels through the Hub UNLESS you have Ignite Pods installed... at which point, the WiFi channel management becomes automatic.  (That's not necessarily a bad thing)

With channel selection set to Auto, the gateway should still continue to change channels dynamically in response to current conditions.  The modem should also rescan Wi-Fi channel usage on start-up so a reboot may help.

Deploying Wi-Fi in high density environments is very tricky.  The best thing that you can do, for everybody's sake, is to make sure that you yourself do not have a bad Wi-Fi installation; that you do not have any devices with weak/marginal connections.  It makes you a better neighbour and also makes your own installation more stable if another neighbour (using the same frequencies) has a bad Wi-Fi installation that starts causing problems.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@SpeedyC wrote:

I live in a building with lots of other residents with Wi-Fi, and in the past I have found that changing the channel to one that is not used a lot nearby me  (but still one of 1, 6, or 11)  resolved the issue.

Channels 1, 6 and 11 use frequencies that do not overlap with each other, and you use that to your advantage when planning high density Wi-Fi deployments that you have full control over.  However, in your case, a neighbour using channel 3 with a problematic Wi-Fi installation will cause problems for those using channels 1 and 6 and all channels in between.  The situation becomes worse if any of those others affected also have problematic Wi-Fi installations of their own.

SpeedyC
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Hi -G-.

I don’t have pods installed.

But I still can't change the Wi-Fi channel neither by connecting to http://10.0.0.1/ nor using the Rogers Ignite Wi-Fi Hub iOS app ... they both tell me these settings are managed automatically.

Can you show me how you managed to change the Wi-Fi channel please?

Or if I want full control, should I go back and connect my D-Link router?

I really prefer less clutter ...

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@SpeedyC wrote:

I don’t have pods installed.

But I still can't change the Wi-Fi channel neither by connecting to http://10.0.0.1/ nor using the Rogers Ignite Wi-Fi Hub iOS app ... they both tell me these settings are managed automatically.

Can you show me how you managed to change the Wi-Fi channel please?

You can also try using https://ignitewifi.rogers.com ...but if the iOS app says that the Wi-Fi channels are managed automatically, I suspect that the web app will say the same.

I would suggest calling call tech support to find out what is preventing you from making the changes that you require.  If you don't have Pods associated with your account, you should still be able to do things such as disable Band Steering and manually assign WiFi channels.

Another possible solution is to get Rogers to disable the Ignite WiFi Hub on your account.  They don't seem to be willing to do that anymore but if that is something that you REALLY want, I would still ask, and escalate if the support tech says that this is not possible.

Or if I want full control, should I go back and connect my D-Link router?

I really prefer less clutter ...

If you want full control, the only way to get that is to run your home network over your own infrastructure.

HOWEVER, once you do have full control, the onus is then completely on you to keep your Wi-Fi network optimized going forward.  Auto mode is so much better today than it was 20 years ago... and the AI in the back-end, that runs and constantly optimizes modern Wi-Fi mesh networks, does a better job that any human could... especially in dynamic environments.

I'm still not convinced that a channel change is required.  If you have devices that are dropping off of Wi-Fi, it could be due to any of a number of problems, usually poor connectivity... and there are a lot of things that can disrupt and interfere with 2.4 GHz channels.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/04/remote-work-lagging-if-you-cant-plug-it-in-upgrade-to-mesh/

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/03/802-eleventy-what-a-deep-dive-into-why-wi-fi-...

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/02/the-ars-technica-semi-scientific-guide-to-wi-fi-access-point...

aelaan
I Plan to Stick Around

I have asked Rogers to upgrade my modem, I have gotten 4 XB6 modems and the issue is that they all make a whining noise that drives me bonkers.  I have asked and always have been a customer in good standing, for some reason, they are unwilling to tell me, the request is denied.  One tech came out and had an XB7 on the truck, but they are only to be distribute them to new customers....?  So here I am working from home with earplugs in... yah, this is 2021.