cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite Router not connecting to some wifi devices

CamTheMan65
I'm here a lot

So this consistently happens with two types of devices in my home, that have never been able to connect to the Rogers ignite router.
One is the Gosund smart plugs, and the other is a water monitoring and auto shut off device called Water Hero.
Both those devices have always connect to Wi-Fi in my home when Bell was the service provider, and when Rogers swapped out the white ignite router with a Cradlepoint router.
Rogers has had three of the white ignite routers in my home, and these two types of devices have never been able to connect to the Wi-Fi.
I just programmed my water hero to connect to my phone hotspot Wi-Fi and it works perfectly fine.
It is 100%, without a doubt, the Rogers ignite router that is not allowing these devices to connect.
Does anyone out there have anything they can suggest I try?
Rogers tech support consistently point to the smart plugs and the water hero device, which again have absolutely no problem connecting to any other Wi-Fi except for the Rogers ignite router Wi-Fi.

**Labels Added**

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Ignite Router not connecting to some wifi devices

RogersTony

Hello, @CamTheMan65

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

We know how important it is to have all your devices connected via WiFi. It sounds like you may be experiencing an issue with band steering. Do you know if the devices that are not connecting are compatible with 5G WiFi? If not, they may have issues connecting to the ignite Gateway.

If you are not using WiFi Pods you can disable band steering, which should allow your devices to connect to the separate 2.4G WiFi network. You can find the steps on how to enable or disable band steering here.

I hope this helps!

RogersTony

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As Tony was saying.

Most of the smart devices, quite often are only 2.4 capable.

With band steering on (necessary to use the pods), both SSIDs for 2.4 and 5 are the same.  The device will grab which is best/strongest.

Some devices even is only 2.4, will be able to sort out the negotiation and connect.  But some cant properly.

CamTheMan65
I'm here a lot
I should have mentioned that I already separated the 2.4 G wifi and the 5 G, and have repeatedly tried to connect to the 2.4 with no success.

Yes that was attempted already.

Yes that was attempted but nothing changed.

RogersTony

Hello, @CamTheMan65

Thanks for those additional details.

If disabling the band steering and connecting directly to the 2.4G Wi-Fi network has not resolved this issue then there is not much else we can try to get these devices connected. You could try a factory reset of the modem, disable band steering again and try to see if it connects to the 2.4 G Wi-Fi but you may end up with the same results.

If anyone else in the community has any suggestions on how to get this working please feel free to chime in.

RogersTony

Not only has factory reset be done multiple times but the router has been replaced three times, and the Rogers router has never been able to connect to this water Hero controller.

Again, this controller has consistently connected to every single other Wi-Fi network I've ever had here over the last 8 years, which is about 6 or 7 different routers, except for the Wi-Fi network provided by Rogers Technicolor router.

It uses standard WPA2 encryption, and those two facts state that the problem is with the Rogers router.

Rogers consistently saying there's nothing that can be done is not true. It needs to be escalated to the Rogers Wi-Fi expert and do some diagnostics to figure out what setting is conflicting with this device, but Rogers consistently say they not want to put the effort into it.

Extremely disappointing and frustrating considering this controller and system cost me $1,000 and prevents my house from flooding in the event of a burst pipe.

jmpoole
I've been here awhile

Sorry to hear about your dilemma. I have similar problem of some of my devices (wireless printer, kobo reader, etc.) are 2.4 ghz and wouldn’t connect. My frequency is showing a 6 ghz. Not fair to buy new devices just to accommodate 6 ghz.

jmpoole
I've been here awhile

I have similar problem of some of my devices (wireless printer, kobo reader, etc.) are 2.4 ghz and wouldn’t connect. My frequency is showing a 6 ghz. What shall we do then? Shall we sacrifice speed of 6 ghz or go back to slower speed of 2.4 to accommodate our other devices. Not fair to buy new devices just to accommodate 6 ghz.

Hello, @jmpoole 

I can understand how important it is to have all of your devices connected to your home network.

If some of your devices are not compatible with 5G Wi-Fi you may need to disable band steering to have those devices connect. You can learn how to enable and disable band steering by clicking here.

Once you have band steering disabled, check to see if your devices are able to connect to the 2.4G Wi-Fi network.

If you are using Wi-Fi Pods then band steering cannot be disabled. 

RogersTony

jmpoole
I've been here awhile

Thank you for your reply, RogersTony. Before I proceed with your suggestion, do you know if this method that your suggesting would sacrifice my 6 Ghz speed? We pay extra to get the high-speed internet. 

Good morning @jmpoole!

By disabling band steering, you split your networks into two, each with a different name and password. Your devices that are capable of connecting to 6G will continue to be able to do as long as you connect them to the 6G network instead of the 2.4G network.

Your devices that are only compatible with 2.4G will be slower than your 6G capable devices in this setup. This the primary driver behind upgrading your WiFi capable devices. Those old devices are stuck on old WiFi tech and if you want to take advantage of the fastest WiFi speeds available, you would need modern replacements of those respective devices.

Regards,

RogersCorey

kimmal
I plan to stick around

I recently got an Ignite Pod to help with my wifi.  Noticed that I only now have 1 wifi network.  I know that the pods are suppose to automatically detect whether a device should use 2.4 or 5 GHz.  Havent had too many issues but am wondering if people have an opinion on whether or not the Pod or a 3rd party extender is more reliable.  I do have some devices that can only connect to 2.4 (Xmas light string is one) and am concerned that if I can't "see" the 2.4 when I try and connect the device to my home wifi it won't work.  Only time will tell I guess, but was wondering others opinions

Good morning @kimmal!

It's possible that your 2.4Ghz only devices have an alternate method of connecting to your WiFi network in the case of a dual band network. I know for certain that mine did.

You may be worrying prematurely. 🙂

Regards,

RogersCorey

Topic Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 6 in conversation