cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite 500U: CODA-4582U, good; bridged to RT-N66U, not so good.

eljay
I plan to stick around

Summary:

- Until yesterday I had Ignite 100U and I was getting ~130Mbps *wireless* with the CGN3 gateway bridged to the ASUS router.

- Today I have Ignite 500U and after straight-swapping the CGN3 with a CODA-4582U I'm getting ~140-170Mbps *wireless* with the 4582U bridged to the same router.

- With my ASUS laptop (or my wife's HP laptop) wired to the 4582 in gateway mode I'm seeing 500-600Mbps down.

-  The RT-N66U is suppose to be capable of speeds up to 900Mbps.  I confirmed that it has the latest version of firmware.

- HDCP range in the router is defined.  (The 4582's static IP falls outside of that range.)

- I did some reading and confirmed that on the ASUS QoS and Port Triggering & Forwarding are all disabled and IPv6 is enabled.

So...what do I look for next? 

Any thoughts? 

Thanks.  🙂

***Added Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Ignite 500U: CODA-4582U, good; bridged to RT-N66U, not so good.

eljay
I plan to stick around

Thanks for the reply, RogersAndy. I'll try "gateway only" for now - at least as an interim solution (and maybe add a newer router at some point).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

RogersAndy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @eljay,

I can understand the concern especially when you're expecting speeds to be vastly improved with a package upgrade. That said though the issue appears to be with the RT-N66U Dual-band 2x2 N900 you're using. Though it's marketed as an N900, it isn't actually capable of speeds up to 900Mbps. That marketed number is actually the total speeds combined among all 3 antennae. To obtain the theoretical maximum divide the marketed number (900) by the number of antennae (3). This leaves us with a 300Mbps theoretical max which is then reduced further (nearly in half in most cases) to determine real world speeds.

The speeds you're receiving over WiFi now would likely be greatly improved by removing the 3rd party router as the CODA4582/U modem is a 4x4MIMO Wave2 Gateway and thus capable of wireless AC speeds of up to 1Gbps.

Let us know if you do have any other questions!

RogersAndy 

eljay
I plan to stick around

Thanks for the reply, RogersAndy. I'll try "gateway only" for now - at least as an interim solution (and maybe add a newer router at some point).

eljay
I plan to stick around

Gateway mode gives me:

- ~450-600Mbps wireless in the same main-floor room at the back of the house; and

- ~35-50Mbps in the upstairs office at front of house.

(With the ASUS router, I was getting 60-70Mbps pretty consistently upstairs.)

Time to shop for an AC router.

eljay
I plan to stick around

Picked up a NETGEAR AC2400 on sale at BestBuy today. I'm seeing ~550-600Mpbs wireless near the router and > 250Mbps upstairs. I'd say that's a happy ending. 🙂

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 2 in conversation