Hitron Wifi Range is Awful.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Hitron Wifi Range is Awful.

So I just moved into a new house 4 days ago and I changed my internet provider to rogers 150mbps unlimited internet. I recieved a gigbaite modem with it and oh boy this thing sucks big time. I have placed my modem on main floor living room , there is nothing around it for atleast 3ft any side except one side wall. Now I go upstairs in my bedroom which is right above where the modem is and the signal is so weak that I can not even watch a youtube video. I have to switch to 5g band and then it keeps disconnecting. 

Anyone else have this issue and any solutions?

I think I am gonna return the device and switch my service back to my old provider if this things is not fixed soon. I am planning to call the technician in soon and see if anything changes. 

ROGERS ARE YOU GUYS DOING ANYTHING TO FIX THIS KNOWN ISSUE? THERE HAVE BEEN POSTS ABOUT HITRON RANGE ISSUES SINCE 2014 ON YOUR VERY OWN FORUM AND IT STILL SUCKS.

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Hitron Wifi Range is Awful.

Well, wifi signals are impacted by a plethora of things. Are you milking cows on the first floor before midnight? Do you have any lead blankets/sheilds/drapes near the modem? Does your neighbour have metal eaves? Ask him to take them down right away. Did you try moving your bedroom to the basement to see if that helps? Try turning the modem upside down, shake it, cycle it on and off for 30 seconds ten times in a row, do 5 jumping jacks, 10 push ups and call your mom. Twice.

If you use metal utensils, throw them out, it COULD be that. All the wood framing in your house could be the issue, as per Rogers, replace with straw or cardboard (rigid, first grade non-recycled, organic, free-range milk-fed). 

Well, im out of ideas. By the way, none of those helped me at all. Welcome to Rogers.

I've Been Here Awhile

Haha , Well i hope they dont really suggest me all those solutions. I will let a technician come in and see what he says or I will just shake the modem on his head lol

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Niijj4r Log-into the modem and under Wireless, click into the 5G band and select 149-153-157-161. After that save changes and your range should be improved. Let me know if it works for you.

I'm a Senior Contributor

@Niijj4r wrote:

ROGERS ARE YOU GUYS DOING ANYTHING TO FIX THIS KNOWN ISSUE? THERE HAVE BEEN POSTS ABOUT HITRON RANGE ISSUES SINCE 2014 ON YOUR VERY OWN FORUM AND IT STILL SUCKS.

If you are aware of this issue and that it has been going on since 2014, you should also be aware that many people solve this issue by bridging the modem and then hooking up their own router. If you are waiting for rogers to fix this, well I have news for you - it ain't gonna happen. The hitron modems are utter garbage.

I'm a Senior Advisor

And to add to this discussion, here are some recent experiences.

Consider if you want lower speed - watch the response from Rogers

Can I go to a lower speed - say 30 - you have to go to an old modem on 2.4 only (can't get 2.4 in my house because there are at least 23 modems in the same range) - I can use 5.0, but I can't get to the upper floor - through all that wood and wall board as mentioned earlier.  So for a long time, I had an older router and I ran it as an access point as my house is wired with ethernet before WIFI was really available readibly.

That modem has eventually failed on me, so I am now looking for a new router and turn the gateway back into a plain old "dumb" modem - about all it is really good for anyway - just my opinion.

And what modem will they give you if you go to 30GB - one with 2.4Mhz only

Back to the desire to go to 30GB - well, I would have to drop from my current ACR hitron to not sure what, but 2.4 Mhz only WIFI.  So my saved money since I don't need the speed would be spent on a new router (save $20.00 per month, $240.00 per year, I can get a good router), but I can also just move to another company get unlimited bandwidth, the 30 GB and I buy my own router anyway.  So best for me to drop back, get the lower package and use the savings for new Router, and now I am free to move to other companies (3rd party, over the same Bell or Rogers lines), have to buy a modem yes, and I can set my router in the best location.)

And what if you want to go from the 60GB package to 75GB

So next discussion another day, how about if I considered going to 75 (the new package), now have to go to the Gigabit modem - I mention - oh you mean the one that is still in beta - oh, no, it is final version ( tell him to read the forums). He quotes Rogers has fastest speeds, I say, but I am not looking for it, and of course you do, you have marketed cheap 100 and above for over a year now and the competitors are at max 50 - I don't hear a lot of complaints from regular 50 GB users, but if you want the higher speeds, you get this gateway still in beta and testing with a large number of issues still being worked on.

And now for a commercial break - trouble shooting

And I think we have all done the reboot, factory reset, use the setup usb stick, that no longer works on my modem, call support to reset everything when I can't get in (like as if we all are supposed to know how to do that, reset password, and WIFI set up, etc.  Do you have a config backup - have you ever been in your admin side of your modem to actually create it, and is the copy going to recreate the same issues?

While you are stuggling with working the standard trouble shooting - yes, I know, some of us have already done it (we know the process), or you have been asked to do it who knows how many times, that you now know the routine), might as well sit back have a drink, talk to family, do some Internet browsing (oops forgot my modem is down).  Oh and yes, the infamous poor signal strength.

I have a Samknows box, and I watch my UDP latency climb over a three day period, not enough for too much drop outs, so I waited it out - then it dropped back to normal. Speed deteriation too obviously.  Why, it was raining heavy those days - but our neighbourhood equipment has all been relaced in the last year, but I can walk out to the green mushroom, lift off the cover (no it is not locked anymore for the last few years), see the condensation on the connections, and dry them out myself).  These boxes really are not sealed from the elements well.

So I can't imagine what the average user is going through, thinking they have these top wonderful modems and all this speed and then they end up on here saying the produc is awful.

Back to suggestions on the poor wifi

But back to reality - suggestions - if you can afford it, unfortunately, the best solution is a truely and properly designed WIFI network layout, recognizing where your deadspots are - just walk around the house with a signal analyzer, or just look at the signal strength on your device and see where the best signals are for your regular use locations, and move things around trying to improve - if not a Modem, consider a WIFI access point to extend your connection around the house.  Get a real consultant and have them come in and recommend the best layout for your home - most techs just install and make sure it works, they don't consider what is best for your house.  It is like the days, if you buy a top end media setup, you go to a seller who designs it for your needs.

And a final solution - Rogers gets out of the support side of things and get real consultants working with us to design the best layout for services to and within our home.

Rogers keeps increasing prices, decreasing support, pushing products out before they are fully proven, and over promising and underliving by putting in the fine print, dependent upon location, modem model, equipment, interference, outside connections, etc, with little advise by an installer as to what that really means.

Has anyone ever seen in marketing that to take full advantage of the AC standard and 5.0 Mhz that you have consider best location, and your device have to have the processing power and adapters to support this? Just general statements.

You come here, and we the users provide the advise on how to get the best results out of what you are paying for.

So, it is great to see the humour - it is time for some good humour over all this to get us through it all.

I am currently researching different companies and using a consulting company in the area to look at best layout of my Internet, providers, projections on new equipment for future, and home Digital Antenna and pvr's for local channels, and over the top solutions.

The analogy is you can buy the best supplies for a new bathroom, but if you don't use a structural engineer or contractor, you may end up with a very poor product.  As Mike Holmes would say it, "do it right".

Bruce

I've Been Here Awhile

Hey Man

Just did this setting, will update you tomorrow if it worked.

Thanks.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I've Been Here Awhile

Hello Folks 

So a technician came in , I switched the modem from white to old black modem ( dont know the model). It is slightly better now. It didnt change the range much and speed was super slow even tho the connection was strong so I did some google search and stumbled upon using a DNS changer to speed up the wifi. I downloaded an app from playstore called DNset and BOOOOM.... my wifi speed got crazy fast even when the range is so bad and I am only getting 1 signal bar upstairs , the speed is still super fast. So my solution would be that use a dns changer app on your phones and computers and you should be fine.

I have no idea what dns changer app does or how it works but it DOES WORK.

Cheers

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Niijj4r

@Niijj4r wrote:

Hello Folks 

So a technician came in , I switched the modem from white to old black modem ( dont know the model). It is slightly better now. It didnt change the range much and speed was super slow even tho the connection was strong so I did some google search and stumbled upon using a DNS changer to speed up the wifi. I downloaded an app from playstore called DNset and BOOOOM.... my wifi speed got crazy fast even when the range is so bad and I am only getting 1 signal bar upstairs , the speed is still super fast. So my solution would be that use a dns changer app on your phones and computers and you should be fine.

I have no idea what dns changer app does or how it works but it DOES WORK.

Cheers

all your information is going through a UNKNOWN VPN Server with that program. I would Highly recommend you uninstall that app. From what a quick google search revels is that app changes the DNS servers and forwards all your traffic through a VPN. So what we need to do is log in to the new modem and got DNS Settings and change the DNS servers. For testing use this:

DNS 1: 8.8.8.8

DNS 2: 8.8.4.4

reboot computer/phone and see if that helps.