cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitron Wifi Range is Awful.

Niijj4r
I've been here awhile

So I just moved into a new house 4 days ago and I changed my internet provider to rogers 150mbps unlimited internet. I recieved a gigbaite modem with it and oh boy this thing sucks big time. I have placed my modem on main floor living room , there is nothing around it for atleast 3ft any side except one side wall. Now I go upstairs in my bedroom which is right above where the modem is and the signal is so weak that I can not even watch a youtube video. I have to switch to 5g band and then it keeps disconnecting. 

Anyone else have this issue and any solutions?

I think I am gonna return the device and switch my service back to my old provider if this things is not fixed soon. I am planning to call the technician in soon and see if anything changes. 

ROGERS ARE YOU GUYS DOING ANYTHING TO FIX THIS KNOWN ISSUE? THERE HAVE BEEN POSTS ABOUT HITRON RANGE ISSUES SINCE 2014 ON YOUR VERY OWN FORUM AND IT STILL SUCKS.

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Hitron Wifi Range is Awful.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just to add a little here, a little late, but may add some info.

While the user up above may have been joking a bit about rogers 'sugestions'.. its actually not too far from the truth.

Suprisingly, there is A LOT which can cause interfearance in the household.

Metal, being one of the bigest things.   With many houses being made now with METAL studs.. guess what, will cause some major interfearance.   Even in my house, my main bathroom, is on the far side of the laundry room the laundry room being between the bathroom and where my router is.  The signal is aful in there.. due to all the copper in the walls for the laundry and bathroom.

Having a microwave, etc inbetween an area and the router.. another major cause of interfearance.

So sometimes the house design.. can have an impact on the wireless quality.

The other half, comes down to the ROUTER qaulity.
As has been mentioned here and elsewhere.. the qaility of the router in these units is.. questionable?

With subtracing the modem cost out of the the costs of these units.. your usually talking a sub $100 router?
And that is just what they preform like... usually minimal antenna structure, basic settings, etc..
Really to get decent better performance, you do need to use a much higher quality router, which can push out the range and preform much better overall.

View solution in original post

44 REPLIES 44

bdbell84
I plan to stick around

Well, wifi signals are impacted by a plethora of things. Are you milking cows on the first floor before midnight? Do you have any lead blankets/sheilds/drapes near the modem? Does your neighbour have metal eaves? Ask him to take them down right away. Did you try moving your bedroom to the basement to see if that helps? Try turning the modem upside down, shake it, cycle it on and off for 30 seconds ten times in a row, do 5 jumping jacks, 10 push ups and call your mom. Twice.

If you use metal utensils, throw them out, it COULD be that. All the wood framing in your house could be the issue, as per Rogers, replace with straw or cardboard (rigid, first grade non-recycled, organic, free-range milk-fed). 

Well, im out of ideas. By the way, none of those helped me at all. Welcome to Rogers.

Niijj4r
I've been here awhile

Haha , Well i hope they dont really suggest me all those solutions. I will let a technician come in and see what he says or I will just shake the modem on his head lol

RyzenFX
I'm a reliable contributor

@Niijj4r Log-into the modem and under Wireless, click into the 5G band and select 149-153-157-161. After that save changes and your range should be improved. Let me know if it works for you.

Dugi
I'm a senior contributor

@Niijj4r wrote:

ROGERS ARE YOU GUYS DOING ANYTHING TO FIX THIS KNOWN ISSUE? THERE HAVE BEEN POSTS ABOUT HITRON RANGE ISSUES SINCE 2014 ON YOUR VERY OWN FORUM AND IT STILL SUCKS.

If you are aware of this issue and that it has been going on since 2014, you should also be aware that many people solve this issue by bridging the modem and then hooking up their own router. If you are waiting for rogers to fix this, well I have news for you - it ain't gonna happen. The hitron modems are utter garbage.

BS
I'm a senior advisor

And to add to this discussion, here are some recent experiences.

Consider if you want lower speed - watch the response from Rogers

Can I go to a lower speed - say 30 - you have to go to an old modem on 2.4 only (can't get 2.4 in my house because there are at least 23 modems in the same range) - I can use 5.0, but I can't get to the upper floor - through all that wood and wall board as mentioned earlier.  So for a long time, I had an older router and I ran it as an access point as my house is wired with ethernet before WIFI was really available readibly.

That modem has eventually failed on me, so I am now looking for a new router and turn the gateway back into a plain old "dumb" modem - about all it is really good for anyway - just my opinion.

And what modem will they give you if you go to 30GB - one with 2.4Mhz only

Back to the desire to go to 30GB - well, I would have to drop from my current ACR hitron to not sure what, but 2.4 Mhz only WIFI.  So my saved money since I don't need the speed would be spent on a new router (save $20.00 per month, $240.00 per year, I can get a good router), but I can also just move to another company get unlimited bandwidth, the 30 GB and I buy my own router anyway.  So best for me to drop back, get the lower package and use the savings for new Router, and now I am free to move to other companies (3rd party, over the same Bell or Rogers lines), have to buy a modem yes, and I can set my router in the best location.)

And what if you want to go from the 60GB package to 75GB

So next discussion another day, how about if I considered going to 75 (the new package), now have to go to the Gigabit modem - I mention - oh you mean the one that is still in beta - oh, no, it is final version ( tell him to read the forums). He quotes Rogers has fastest speeds, I say, but I am not looking for it, and of course you do, you have marketed cheap 100 and above for over a year now and the competitors are at max 50 - I don't hear a lot of complaints from regular 50 GB users, but if you want the higher speeds, you get this gateway still in beta and testing with a large number of issues still being worked on.

And now for a commercial break - trouble shooting

And I think we have all done the reboot, factory reset, use the setup usb stick, that no longer works on my modem, call support to reset everything when I can't get in (like as if we all are supposed to know how to do that, reset password, and WIFI set up, etc.  Do you have a config backup - have you ever been in your admin side of your modem to actually create it, and is the copy going to recreate the same issues?

While you are stuggling with working the standard trouble shooting - yes, I know, some of us have already done it (we know the process), or you have been asked to do it who knows how many times, that you now know the routine), might as well sit back have a drink, talk to family, do some Internet browsing (oops forgot my modem is down).  Oh and yes, the infamous poor signal strength.

I have a Samknows box, and I watch my UDP latency climb over a three day period, not enough for too much drop outs, so I waited it out - then it dropped back to normal. Speed deteriation too obviously.  Why, it was raining heavy those days - but our neighbourhood equipment has all been relaced in the last year, but I can walk out to the green mushroom, lift off the cover (no it is not locked anymore for the last few years), see the condensation on the connections, and dry them out myself).  These boxes really are not sealed from the elements well.

So I can't imagine what the average user is going through, thinking they have these top wonderful modems and all this speed and then they end up on here saying the produc is awful.

Back to suggestions on the poor wifi

But back to reality - suggestions - if you can afford it, unfortunately, the best solution is a truely and properly designed WIFI network layout, recognizing where your deadspots are - just walk around the house with a signal analyzer, or just look at the signal strength on your device and see where the best signals are for your regular use locations, and move things around trying to improve - if not a Modem, consider a WIFI access point to extend your connection around the house.  Get a real consultant and have them come in and recommend the best layout for your home - most techs just install and make sure it works, they don't consider what is best for your house.  It is like the days, if you buy a top end media setup, you go to a seller who designs it for your needs.

And a final solution - Rogers gets out of the support side of things and get real consultants working with us to design the best layout for services to and within our home.

Rogers keeps increasing prices, decreasing support, pushing products out before they are fully proven, and over promising and underliving by putting in the fine print, dependent upon location, modem model, equipment, interference, outside connections, etc, with little advise by an installer as to what that really means.

Has anyone ever seen in marketing that to take full advantage of the AC standard and 5.0 Mhz that you have consider best location, and your device have to have the processing power and adapters to support this? Just general statements.

You come here, and we the users provide the advise on how to get the best results out of what you are paying for.

So, it is great to see the humour - it is time for some good humour over all this to get us through it all.

I am currently researching different companies and using a consulting company in the area to look at best layout of my Internet, providers, projections on new equipment for future, and home Digital Antenna and pvr's for local channels, and over the top solutions.

The analogy is you can buy the best supplies for a new bathroom, but if you don't use a structural engineer or contractor, you may end up with a very poor product.  As Mike Holmes would say it, "do it right".

Bruce

Niijj4r
I've been here awhile
Hey Man

Just did this setting, will update you tomorrow if it worked.

Thanks.

Niijj4r
I've been here awhile

Hello Folks 

So a technician came in , I switched the modem from white to old black modem ( dont know the model). It is slightly better now. It didnt change the range much and speed was super slow even tho the connection was strong so I did some google search and stumbled upon using a DNS changer to speed up the wifi. I downloaded an app from playstore called DNset and BOOOOM.... my wifi speed got crazy fast even when the range is so bad and I am only getting 1 signal bar upstairs , the speed is still super fast. So my solution would be that use a dns changer app on your phones and computers and you should be fine.

I have no idea what dns changer app does or how it works but it DOES WORK.

Cheers

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@Niijj4r

@Niijj4r wrote:

Hello Folks 

So a technician came in , I switched the modem from white to old black modem ( dont know the model). It is slightly better now. It didnt change the range much and speed was super slow even tho the connection was strong so I did some google search and stumbled upon using a DNS changer to speed up the wifi. I downloaded an app from playstore called DNset and BOOOOM.... my wifi speed got crazy fast even when the range is so bad and I am only getting 1 signal bar upstairs , the speed is still super fast. So my solution would be that use a dns changer app on your phones and computers and you should be fine.

I have no idea what dns changer app does or how it works but it DOES WORK.

Cheers

all your information is going through a UNKNOWN VPN Server with that program. I would Highly recommend you uninstall that app. From what a quick google search revels is that app changes the DNS servers and forwards all your traffic through a VPN. So what we need to do is log in to the new modem and got DNS Settings and change the DNS servers. For testing use this:

DNS 1: 8.8.8.8

DNS 2: 8.8.4.4

reboot computer/phone and see if that helps.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just to add a little here, a little late, but may add some info.

While the user up above may have been joking a bit about rogers 'sugestions'.. its actually not too far from the truth.

Suprisingly, there is A LOT which can cause interfearance in the household.

Metal, being one of the bigest things.   With many houses being made now with METAL studs.. guess what, will cause some major interfearance.   Even in my house, my main bathroom, is on the far side of the laundry room the laundry room being between the bathroom and where my router is.  The signal is aful in there.. due to all the copper in the walls for the laundry and bathroom.

Having a microwave, etc inbetween an area and the router.. another major cause of interfearance.

So sometimes the house design.. can have an impact on the wireless quality.

The other half, comes down to the ROUTER qaulity.
As has been mentioned here and elsewhere.. the qaility of the router in these units is.. questionable?

With subtracing the modem cost out of the the costs of these units.. your usually talking a sub $100 router?
And that is just what they preform like... usually minimal antenna structure, basic settings, etc..
Really to get decent better performance, you do need to use a much higher quality router, which can push out the range and preform much better overall.

Afrafard80
I'm here a lot

Hello

I live in 2 bedrooms condo which is not big, all gadgets have strong signal except my laptop which is not an old laptop, my internet is on and off with very weak signal unless i get close to the router ,then i get strong signal, even when i check my neighbor's signal it is better than me. please let me know what i can do.

It could be interference?

I would try changing the channel away from what it is set at by default, may avoid some of the interference.

Good morning @Afrafard80!

Welcome to our Community Forums!

Weak WiFi related issues can be a pain to diagnose but you've come to the right place! We just need a little more information from you before we can really address your concerns.

What modem model are you using? Do you happen to have a router of your own bridged to it? Please let us know so that we can proceed and offer the best troubleshooting tips possible.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Hello

the model is advanced wi-fi modem, the black one

@Afrafard80 can you have a look at the following post, specifically the sections on wifi settings and wifi monitoring.  After you're had a chance to load and use one of the applications, can you let us know what you found?  Are you having problems with a 2.4 or 5 Ghz wifi network?

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Rogers-Hitron-CODA-4582-Hardware/m-p/397159#M46192

Lastly, can you have a look at the product sticker at the back of the modem and let us know what CGN3xxx model you have.  There are different models available, with similar but not exactly the same firmware loaded, model to model. 

I should check Hitron website for those information? if yes could u plz provide me with link and password.

CNG3 p/n: 1510610002N0

2.4 GHz

@Afrafard80, if you have never logged into the modem, enter 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.100.1 into a web browser to bring up the modem's login page.  The login id, if its still the default entries are:

Username:  cusadmin     (this cannot be changed)

Password:  password       (this can be changed in the modem's ADMIN .... MANAGEMENT tab)

If that doesn't work, then perhaps they may have been changed if the modem was installed by a technician.  If thats the case, you can either run a modem factory reset or call tech support to have them change the password to one that you would prefer to use.  

To run the factory reset, push the recessed reset button located at the back of the modem, just above the ethernet ports.  Hold that down for 30 seconds and release it.  The modem will run a factory reset and reboot.  After the reboot, you should be able to log into the modem as indicated above.  The password should be visible on a sticker at the back of the modem.  When you have logged into the modem, you will have to reset the wifi parameters as they will be back at their default values.  You should set those parameters and change the wifi network names and passphrases as well.  When that is done, you should also change the modem's password which can be done in the ADMIN .... MANAGEMENT tab. 

@Datalink  I logged in the website and 

2.4 GHz wireless mode 802.11/b/g/n mixed

wireless channel Auto (2)

5 GHz everything is the same except wireless channel auto 149

please let me know what I must write it down for u

Thanks

Downstream Overview
Port IDFrequency (MHz)ModulationSignal strength (dBmV)Signal noise ratio (dB)Channel ID
1615000000256QAM-4.80037.63611
2561000000256QAM-4.80037.6362
3567000000256QAM-5.20037.3563
4573000000256QAM-5.10037.6364
5579000000256QAM-5.60037.3565
6585000000256QAM-5.70037.6366
7591000000256QAM-5.80037.6367
8597000000256QAM-5.80037.6368
9603000000256QAM-5.40037.6369
10609000000256QAM-5.30037.63610
11555000000256QAM-4.70037.3561
12621000000256QAM-4.80037.35612
13633000000256QAM-4.80037.63613
14639000000256QAM-5.10037.35614
15645000000256QAM-5.70037.35615
16651000000256QAM-5.90037.35616
17657000000256QAM-6.50037.35617
18663000000256QAM-6.30037.35618
19669000000256QAM-6.40037.63619
20675000000256QAM-6.00037.35620
21681000000256QAM-6.10037.63621
22687000000256QAM-5.50037.63622
23693000000256QAM-5.80037.63623
24699000000256QAM-5.10037.63624
Upstream Overview
Port IDFrequency (MHz)BandWidthModulation TypeSignal Strength (dBmV)Channel ID
1136960006400000ATDMA37.0001
2305960006400000ATDMA38.2503
3237000006400000ATDMA37.0002

@Afrafard80 you can delete the WPS Pin # from the previous post.  You should ensure that WPS is disabled for both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks.  Your downstream signal levels are all low, but the modem should be ok with them.  If you were seeing slow data rates from an ethernet connected pc, that along with the signal levels would be cause to contact tech support.  As they are now, unless you were having issues with the data rates and poor performance with other services such as cable tv or home phone, you should be ok where they are.  The signal to noise ratios are fine as are the upstream signal levels.

Are you experiencing problems with the 2.4 or 5 Ghz networks or both, in terms of range?

Have you loaded inSSIDer onto a laptop so that you can determine who else is using the same channels.  That is probably the most important step at the moment, determining how busy the 2.4 and 5 Ghz channels are, and what if anything you can do about it.  For the 2.4 Ghz channels you might find that all of the channels have multiple users on them, in which case it comes down to which channel will provide the most power separation from the other users.  The display for inSSIDer has a text area and two bottom graphics displays.  The left is 2.4 Ghz, the right is 5 Ghz.  Looking at those displays, you want to see your networks as the highest / tallest network on the display, and you want to see your networks with the most separation from the networks below yours.  To do that you will probably have to change the 2.4 Ghz network channel.  If you have to change the 5 Ghz network, you want to remain in the upper channel 149 to 161 area, as the modem transmit power is higher for those channels compared to the lower channels.  

If you are unsure of what the inSSIDer display is indicating, you can take a screen capture, wipe out your MAC address from the list and post that so that I can have a look at it.  With that, I can tell you if you will be able to resolve the range issue.  

Can you also indicate the specific model of laptop that you have?  And, drill down into the Windows Device Manager, START .... CONTROL PANEL .... DEVICE MANAGER .... NETWORK ADAPTERS.  Copy the name and data for the wifi adapter and post that as well.  That will allow me to check the specifications for the wifi adapter.  We've found in previous occasions that the laptop manufacturer doesn't necessarily build the laptop with the best wifi adapter on the market.  In many cases the wifi adapter leave a lot to be desired, even for new laptops.  So, the adapter info and specifications is another part of the puzzle. , 

Topic Stats