Gigabit Speeds

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Gigabit Speeds

Hello RogersCilio,

thanks for your reach out.

I've done the test through wired connections. I have not done much further as it's the holidays and tech support is almost impossible to get through during these days. 

Please see below if this what you wanted me to post of my DOCSIS WAN

Capture.JPG

Retired Moderator RogersPrasana
Retired Moderator

@rpsjj

Can you please provide the entire table including upstream overview as well? 

You can refer to post 94 of this thread for reference.

RogersPrasana

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi there. I had The old modem from rogers up until a few days ago.. when ive had enough with the mediocre internet rogers provides.. Previously I was signed up for 250u.. Was i getting anywhere near that obviously not. What i was getting was averaging about 25-40 mbs.. Horrible. So i spoke to a customer service rep and he sent me to customer relations. They made me upgrade to the Gigabit modem. After a week or so, and being the holiday season Rogers didn't have any stock in my area for the modem. I asked how this modem was compared to the old one when i went to pick it up and they said it was way faster and the distance was superior.. I got home set it up. The distance isn't anything special, and upgrading to this modem, i now cant connect one of the main wireless laptops i use. It doesn't let me connect to my network, the only way i can get internet is through my extender. Does anyone know how to help ? Is there some sort of block or something going on ? ive even tried going to the main floor using the wifi to connect (The modems in the basement) IT attempts to connect and still doesnt. Previously id use the laptop on the second floor with the old modem in the basmenet and the connection was already so so at best.

If anyones had this issue or someone knows how to help. Please, thank you.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@BritesDW is the modem sitting in the structured wiring cabinet in the basement with the door closed?  That won't help the wifi reception and will lead to the modem overheating.  The modem should also be sitting upright as all of the wifi antenna are at the top of the modem. Unless you use the wifi in the basement, that's probably the worst place for the modem to sit.  The modem can be located anywhere near a cable port upstairs, as long as you have cable running upstairs from the structured wiring cabinet.  So, I'm wondering if its possible to relocate the modem?  This also depends on whether or not you use the modem to connect to ethernet cabling that runs from the basement to ethernet ports upstairs.  This can be accommodated depending on whether or not you have structured wiring in the home, that's a wire bundle that runs from the structured wiring cabinet in the basement to each room upstairs.  The cable bundle usually consists of two RG-6 cables for satellite or cable TV, one Cat-5e cable for data and one Cat-3, possibly another Cat-5e for telephones.  If you look behind an existing wallplate upstairs, you might see the remaining cables tucked in behind the wallplate, waiting for the homeowner to discover and put to use.  The other end of the cables would be located in the structured wiring cabinet in the basement.  

So, if you could have a look at the cabling in the home and let me know what you find, perhaps its possible to relocate the modem so that the wifi supports your mobile devices.  Rogers techs won't fish cables thru the walls, but, if the cable already exists, perhaps they would move the modem for no cost or a small cost.  I don't know how that would work out, in terms of associated costs.  Perhaps one of the moderators could comment on that one. 

Could you also have a look at the following post, specifically the sections on wifi settings and checking the wifi environment for the best operating channel to use:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/slow-wifi/m-p/399949#M47222

I'm Here A Lot

Re: Gigabit Speeds?

This modem has certainly been a headache and time waster for me since switching from 250u service to 1GB service this week.

I have returned twice as per Rogers tech and customer service, same issue persists.

Regardless of hard wired ethernet or WI-FI, I am maxing out speedtest.net tests at 200Mbps on a GOOD test, generally anywhere from 140-200Mbps.

Rogers seems clueless on the issue, even though its all over here, I dont know why they either deny the issue, or act as though its the first time they have heard of it?

Either way, my 250u service I Was hitting 350Mbps consistantly upon tests, and that was even on Wi-Fi let alone Ethernet wired.

All I know is I am overpaying for what I am receiving and certainly losing patience with the issue, and unsure of where to go from here.

I have an open ticket with Rogers, and supposed to here back within 48 hrs, however I dont assume anything will come of that either at this point.

Matt

I Plan to Stick Around

This is the 5th technician to come to my house since september. I have been getting 400 wired 200 wireless sometimes down to 200 wired 50 wireless and many times just down to 50.

The hours they come for my speed magically jumps up to 900. After a day or 2 it goes back down. I have one more senior person coming today just 3 days after the last person.

I for one have had enough of this and am waiting for bell to have an offer so that I can make the switch. I also plan to complain to the crtc for this fraudulent behaviour of selling people 1 gb and then being unable to deliver more than 20-30% of service.

Enough is enough.
I'm Here A Lot

I tell you I wont be waiting, after being a customer for 20 years, if this doesnt get fixed in the next day or so, Im gone with all of my services.

Also when I call tech support and the guy on the other end tells me to wait 24-48 hrs, that it could be the new WiFi setup and will take some time to balance out?

Are you kidding me, they hire these guys for real?

I own my own a consulting company and if I ever had someone with this background on my team, they wouldn't last a day!

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink,

The modem rogers supplied, is sitting upright in a cool area.. I dont understand how with "Bell" My connection, In the same fashion it is now was working perfectly, nor did i need a wifi extender.. It was in the same location as it is now.. Switched to rogers and i need a wifi extender, just to connect to the rogers network.. I dont think the location is an issue if i cant even connect to it when im right next to the modem... I can probably move it behind my main floor tv (Theres a cable wire there) but i dont think that would change the fact my laptop wont connect to it..

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@BritesDW it doesn't make sense that you can't connect via wifi to the modem when your right beside it and its in the basement, which would reduce any wifi interference from other wifi modems and routers.  What I would do is delete the existing wifi profile for the network in the laptop and then reconnect the laptop.  Run a google search for:

delete windows wifi profiles

Pick the one that is appropriate for your version of Windows and delete the network profile.  I''m assuming here that you're running Windows on the laptop.  Whenever someone arrives from another ISP and is running a router for example, its typical to see some issue connecting to a Hitron modem.  A factory reset on the router followed by reentering the various parameters usually resolves the issue.  So, hopefully deleting the laptop network profile and reconnecting the laptop will resolve the issue.  Hopefully you will have read thru my previous post regarding Wifi settings and modified your parameters if necessary. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mperry@jason121212 can you log into the modem, navigate to the STATUS .... DOCSIS WAN tab, copy the entire downstream and upstream table and paste that into a post.  Ignore the data that resides above the Downstream table as it's specific to the modem.  The copy and paste process will paste in the text contents of the table.

Please have a look at the following post, specifically the wifi settings and checking the wifi environment for usable wifi channels. 

A point to note, some users with the CODA-4582 modem experience slower than expected data rates.  I can only surmise that its possibly a noise problem in the DOCSIS 3.1 OFDM channel or a DOCSIS 3.1 processing issue with the modem.  I don't have an explanation that I can offer at this point.  Plan B would be to swap the CODA-4582 for a CGNM-3552 at the closest Rogers store.  The modem model can be seen on the product sticker at the back of the modem.  So, if you do swap the modem, check the modem model to ensure that you have the received the requested model.