Gigabit Speeds

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Gigabit Speeds

Load balancing Bell and Rogers....

My week-old 'gigabit' connection is pretty lousy.. Bell offers 50/10 and picks up the slack; Rogers promises 1000/30 and fails miserably. Here's my real world stats while downloading a 10 GB torrent with round-robin load balancing - graph is 6 minutes long.

fail.PNG

I've Been Here Awhile

Both my Bell and Rogers modems are in bridge mode with wifi disabled. This is not an installation issue as there is 150 feet of wire lying in the snow going directly from your provided modem in my basement to your pedestal outside and the drop wire needs to be buried in the spring. This is a routing problem or a problem in my neighbourhood  so please escalate to the appropriate department.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@stanzapaticky, can you try the following:

1.  Restart the modem with the connected router up and running during the modem restart.  Pull the power on the modem, wait for 10 to 15 seconds and plug it back in.  After the restart, run a speedtest using the www.speedtest.net Toronto Rogers or Montreal Rogers servers.  I would question what the load balancing would do in this case and how fast the router would react to a max load download.  In this case, the Rogers modem should be assigned the max load as it should have the higher data rate of the two available modems.  The router wouldn't know that unless there was a primary and secondary port setting in operation and/or you were able to set the max data rates expected from each modem.  Does the load balancing on the router limit the max throughput of all connected WAN ports to the lower limit of the Bell modem?  

2.  Run a separate test with the Rogers modem.  Disconnect the router, connect a pc and restart the modem.  After the restart, as soon as the pc has an IP address, run a speedtest using the www.speedtest.net Toronto Rogers or Montreal Rogers servers.  Disconnect the pc after the test as it's relying on it's own firewall for protection.  I'm assuming here that you have an antivirus program running that provides its own firewall.  Reconnect the router and restart the modem. 

One point to note, Rogers uses Native IPV6, Bell does not use IPV6.  Does your router accomodate that difference?  Have you disabled IPV6, or simply not enabled it in the router?  How does your router react to mixed mode (IPV4 and IPV6) dual WAN operation? 

Assuming that you can resolve the data rate issue with the Rogers modem, why run Dual WAN Load Balancing instead of fall back where the Rogers modem is the primary modem?  Just curious at this point ....

Please let me know what you find for the speedtests.  I'll be interested in the results of the second test.  If you don't want to run the test with the modem in Bridge mode, you can connect to the modem using 192.168.100.1 and flip the modem back into Gateway mode by enabling the Residential Gateway Funtion which is found in the BASIC....RESIDENTIAL GATEWAY tab.  The modem will reboot back into Gateway mode with its previous settings intact.  Running a Factory reset to do the same will result in the user having to reset the various modem parameters after the reboot back into Gateway mode. 

I've Been Around

Im on the 500 dl plan as of today andI'm receiving speeds as low as 5.97 mbps DL and 12 mbps Upload. This is unsettling and stressful on me calling and troublshooting this issue, I just ordered it you know what im saying.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JoeCarter416Fan, did you have the white CODA-4582 modem previously, or is the modem new as well?  Are the data rates that you indicated seen via ethernet or wifi connection? 

I hate to say this but, you will have to call in to tech support to ask for the following:

1.  ask the CSR to run a signal check on the modem to see if they downstream and upstream signal levels are within spec.  Ask specifically if the downstream DOCSIS 3.1 signal level is within spec.  

2.  ask the CSR to check on the modem provisioning, that is, to ensure that the modem is in fact provisioned to run at 500/20.

Just to note, there are some customers who experience slow data rates with the CODA-4582 modem, which will be running DOCSIS 3.1 on the downstream side.  I don't have any explanation that I can offer.  If this is the case, my personal opinion is to trade the modem in for a CGNM-3552 modem, which can handle those rates without any problems.  Please see my comments in the following post regarding the latency with Intel Puma 6 (Hitron CGN3xxx and CGNM-3552) modems versus the Intel Puma 7 (Hitron CODA-4582) modem. 

I've Been Here Awhile

I upgraded to the Gigabit from 250 mbps about a week ago. The fastest speed observed so far is 500 mbps but on average its only been around 250 mbps. Which is EXACTLY what I was getting with my old service from Rogers. Why ask umeto upgrade if Rogers can't deliver the speed as advertised. I would not really care if the speed was around 700-900 mbps. But this is unacceptable service, this is not what I paid for and not what Rogers advertised.

It is quite evident this is not an isolated concern. 

Fix this Rogers!!!!

Retired Moderator RogersCilio
Retired Moderator

Hello @rpsjj,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

I can certainly understand your frustration. I'd be just as upset if I wasn't getting what I upgraded for. If you can provide a bit more info so we can better assess your situation.

Are your speed tests done through a wired or wireless connection? Is there a router connected to our modem? What, if any troubleshooting steps have you taken so far? Also, can you log into the modem and go to the DOCSIS WAN page and post the signal levels. We want to ensure they're within spec.

I'll tag in a few of our Resident Experts as well, for further input! @Datalink @gp-se @robindp @Gdkitty

Cheers,

RogersCilio

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

With more info on whether this is an ethernet or wifi issue and with the signal levels, we'll have more info to go on.  Please copy the Downstream and Upstream tables on the STATUS .... DOCSIS WAN page and paste them into a post.  The copy and paste process will paste in the text contents of the tables.  Ignore the data that resides above the Downstream table area as that is specific to the modem. 

I Plan to Stick Around

What I found is that while the Hitron is a gigabit modem, the routing function is not up to speed. By disabling the router and using an external one, I was able to increase my speed by about 10%.  To measure speed I use 50 connections to usenet. I haven't been able to find a reliable speed test, even the Rogers speed test is wonky. My current speed varies between 100 and 110MB/s and I'm happy with that. Awhile back Google did a presentation at UofW on their gigabit offering and stated 100MB/s is the average speed which equals ~800mbps

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

To test gig speeds don't use the Rogers speed test.  Use the www.speedtest.net Rogers Toronto or Rogers Montreal servers.  The Rogers Toronto server is a 10 Gb/s server, so, it has the horsepower to run a gig speedtest.  Don't know about the Rogers Montreal server.  The Beanfield Toronto and Montreal Fibrenoire servers are good secondary choices.  Fwiw, I've found that the modems, including the 4582 will show the same max speedtest data rates for both Gateway and Bridge modes.  I use a direct ethernet connection to the modem when its in Bridge mode to confirm the data rates.  If I see anything slower out a connected router, I'll have a careful look at the router settings to determine what the cause is.  Beyond that there is the issue of running an under powered router.   For an all in one router running gig service, I personally wouldn't recommend anything less than a 1.4 Ghz processor in the router.  There are routers on the market now with 1.8 Ghz processors.  If you're building something like a PfSense, OpenSense, Sophos UTM router, then you have a choice to use much faster processors. 

Order Now!
UFC 246: McGregor vs. Cerrone Live
LIVE: Saturday, January 18th 10:00 PM ET
Countdown: 9:30 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $64.99 (HD) | $59.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $64.99
Ignite TV customers can order now!
DTV Customers can order as of January 16th

He's back! Irish superstar Conor McGregor makes his return to the Octagon on January 18, and he's kicking off 2020 with a welterweight showdown against the man with the most wins in UFC history, Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone. Returning to action for the first time since October 2018 in the main event of UFC 246, the two-division champion from Dublin known as "The Notorious" one wants to make a statement against Albuquerque action hero Cerrone, who has picked up five post-fight performance bonuses in his last five bouts.