Gigabit Speeds

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Gigabit Speeds

While at night I know its more busy.. I have never had to wait longer than say 30 mins on the phone for someone.
Not sure if different areas go to different call centers, if that makes a difference.

If there have been techs out.. they should be able to make sure the signal is good (or at least decent).

That being ok.. the modem should be able to provide the speeds.. unless there are major issues BEYOND the house.  The local node, etc.

I am not on gigabit, but the 500 plan, and am able to get those speeds at peak times.
(that being said.. that 500 is on WIRED, not wireless.  And its speed testing to the appropriate end point servers)

I Plan to Stick Around

My upload is usually 25-30 never over 30 and download is 200 sometimes 600 and rarely hits the 940.  The whole reason I got gig was for the upload speed because of TeamViewer.  I had bell fiber at home (paid the extra for FTTH) gigabit package a couple weeks ago and I was getting about 700 down and less than 5 up even tho they advertise 940/750.  Nothing they did could fix it.  Everyone knows that true gigabit is tough to achieve and you need specialized environment/hardware for good results. In my case, Rogers 30up was better than bells 750 up, No ethernet wire changes or resets, just simple plug and play.

I've Been Here Awhile

So I have been having some issues near a month now with my connection and I am not sure if it is related to the gig package or not. Essentially it seems like the connection fluctuates download speed far too often, and causes pockets of poor connection, lag, stuttering, etc for the things I am doing. I've had 4 or 5 tech visits, the latest being one including a maintenance person to check the outside and no one seems to be able to find any issues or explanation as to why I am at times getting 8-900mbps download, and then everything tanks to 3-400 mbps. A modem restart will generally bring the speeds back up but only temporarily, and sometimes only for a short period.

Ultimately I just want a stable connection, but these drop offs are hindering home usage and can sometimes go on for a while. I've had everything replaced numerous times so far and am at a loss as to how to proceed if the "experts" can't see any issues. The only thing I can think of is maybe its a time of day issue, as its most noticeable in high usage times of day (5pm and onward), and we're also in an apartment building. Every time I call support, they seem to see problems, but then the tech visits see no issues, but I normally call during peak hours but the techs come in the morning or mid-day. 

I am a bit concerned the gig package, or the existing infrastructure is simply not handling it very well at all. When I was on the 500 plan I had no issues...

I've Been Around

I have to agree with you. I took the plunge over a month ago and had I known that my sustain download speed would not reach any higher than 407 Mbps, I would have just stayed with my 300 Mbps download speed. I've called to complain and for the past couple of weeks, I've receiving updated text messages from Rogers informing me that they are working on the issue. Not the best way to conduct business. Also went as far a swapping out the modem recommended by the support staff when I called. It did not make a difference.

Rogers get your act together as needless to say I will expect a credit when my monthly invoice arrives.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

So to give a bit of closure to this... I cancelled my Rogers service in January 2018 because it never really worked and stayed with Bell until I got a phone call from Rogers in May 2019 offering me a great win-back deal on gigabit service. So I figured why not - nothing to lose as their was no installation charge and no contract.

Service was installed, and the only difference is now I was provided with a Puma 7 chipset modem. Previously I had a Puma 6. More than 6 months now and everything has been running just fine. Always get 1 gigabit down and 30 megabit up. Still keep the old Bell 50/10 DSL service and now it's just being used for fail-over for when Rogers goes down. I'm averaging 2 or 3 brief outages per month - usually for only a few minutes at a time in the middle of the night. Everything working as expected and no problems to report.

Stan