Gigabit Speeds

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Gigabit Speeds

@Datalink@gp-se Hey guys, Ya I think I will go for the hard wired approach.  Will try to go behind dry-wall through floor and connect that way.

Couple of questions with the wi-fi however:

Could the splitter be an issue?  Not sure the quality of the splitter they use.  it's a 3-way splitter but I'm only using 2 connections.  If I removed one of the connections I wonder if that would help as well...

The CODA-4582, should I look at enabling bridge mode and buying a third party router instead?

Thanks!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jordanlambert8

@jordanlambert8 wrote:

@Datalink@gp-se Hey guys, Ya I think I will go for the hard wired approach.  Will try to go behind dry-wall through floor and connect that way.

Couple of questions with the wi-fi however:

Could the splitter be an issue?  Not sure the quality of the splitter they use.  it's a 3-way splitter but I'm only using 2 connections.  If I removed one of the connections I wonder if that would help as well...

The CODA-4582, should I look at enabling bridge mode and buying a third party router instead?

Thanks!

If posible have the modem on a two way splitter coming in from the main/first line into your home. One end to the Modem, the other to a tv, or another splitter to other devices. This is the ideal setup, however if you have it coming into a 3 way splitter then put it on the -3.5db port, the two -7db ports could be used for other devices (tv, home phone).

I personally suggest using a third party router and putting the modem into bridge mode. I have a TP-Link C3150 and it is the best wireless device I have ever used. Over 5Ghz WiFi to my MacBook Pro I run speed tests that come back between 750-800mb/s over wifi!

I had an ASUS 88u/3100 that maxed out around 700mb/s over wifi, both used the exact same channel and channel width and located in the same spot of my house. Both were run in Access Point mode behind my pfsense firewall.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jordanlambert8 In terms of the hardwired approach, run more than one cable while your at it.  At least one ethernet and one RG-6, depending of course where your starting from and ending up.  I'd run two of each for future growth.  If you're running the cable from where the modem is located, having the ethernet cable will simplify the home network, so that you don't have to use a MoCA adapter.  And someday, you might want to run a tv from the far end as well. 

I've Been Here Awhile

1 Gigabit

Wow,  I have never been so frustrated.  I am promised the 1 gigabit and 

i cant get speeds of greater thatn 300 down and 30 upload.     Nobody has any answers and

no follow  up.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@NeedSpeed18 wrote:

1 Gigabit

Wow,  I have never been so frustrated.  I am promised the 1 gigabit and 

i cant get speeds of greater thatn 300 down and 30 upload.     Nobody has any answers and

no follow  up.

Can you log into the modem and goto the DOCSIS WAN page and post the signal levels. Also have you tried calling into tech support and asking them why you aren't getting the proper speeds? It could be a signal issue, area issue, or a provisioning issue. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@NeedSpeed18, are you seeing those results via ethernet or via wifi?  If you recently signed up for the gig service, you're only going to see 30 Mb/s up.

I've Been Here Awhile

ethernet
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@NeedSpeed18,

1.  Is that to a desktop or to a laptop?

2.  Is that via direct connection to the modem using a single Cat 5e or Cat 6 ethernet cable, or are you running a router, switch or house ethernet between the modem and the device in question?

I've Been Here Awhile

Laptop
5e wire
Direct from the Rogers modem
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@NeedSpeed18

1.  Does the laptop have an ethernet port or are you using an ethernet to USB adapter to connect to the laptop?

2.  Have you tested the laptop anywhere else, or on a previous Rogers modem and if so, is it capable of running data rates up to ~950 Mb/s which is what you're going to see as a max rate?

3.  Do  you have a desktop that you can use to run a speedtest, as a comparison test device?

As an example, we had an Acer laptop that wouldn't go past ~205 Mb/s, wired or wifi.  So, the existence of an ethenet port or running via ethernet to USB adapter isn't a guarantee of higher data rates on a run of the mill laptop. Beyond the ethernet or USB port you have to look at the processor, memory amount and hard drive type and speed.  All of those factors will affect the data rate that you might see on a speed test.  If you happen to be running a gaming laptop that's a different matter.  In that case I would expect to see somewhere in the order of 900 to 950 Mb/s downstream on a gaming laptop.