Gigabit Speeds

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Gigabit Speeds

@jordanlambert8 if there is anything that you don't understand, please let me know so that I can clarify the subject.  

The first order of business is to get the signal levels up to where they should be.  Those levels are dependent on the original cable signal level where it enters the apartment, and also on any follow-on splitters that are used to provide data to all of the modems in the apartment, which includes internet, Home Phone and cable tv.  The splitters will drop the signal level, some, more than others, so, its important that the right splitter or amplifier is installed to provide service to all of the modems and that the internet modem is connected in a manner that will result in the least amount of signal drop from the original signal level. That's why I was wondering about how many other modems there are in the apartment.  Its likely that you will require a tech visit to sort this out, so, we'll see how this works out. 

I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersShaun@Datalink

Hi Datalink,

I think it would be best for me to schedule a service technician to assist me with the list you gave.  Do you know how I can set up an appointment?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jordanlambert8 call tech support and ask the CSR to run a signal check on the modem.  Indicate to him or her any issues that you might be having including slow ethernet performance which reflects the data rate thru the modem, and any issues with cable tv such as pixelation or choppy audio problems. 

Off of the top of my head, I can't remember if you have the CODA-4582 modem which is the white modem.  If so, restart or reboot your modem.  Firmware version 2.0.10.27 was released today as the latest production version for that modem.  The modem will load that version when it reboots and runs a firmware check for the latest firmware version.  When its all said and done, up and running, run another reboot.  I've found that a second reboot is required to see the best performance out of the modem after an update.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jordanlambert8 have you been able to make any headway with your modem data rates and wifi issues? 

Fwiw, V2.0.10.29 is being released to the 4582 trials group today and into the rest of the week.  This may be of some interest as it includes the first step of enabling the users to run Multimedia Over Cable Association (MoCA) networks over their house/apartment/condo cable systems.  The user interface isn't totally complete at this point as it doesn't include the privacy settings that can be used on a MoCA network, but, with a MoCA filter installed, in theory that should be enough to protect the MoCA network.  I believe that the privacy settings are under development at the present time.  I still have to ask a couple of questions regarding the Hitron MoCA frequencies and the Point of Entry filter to be sure that the filter will protect the MoCA network.  

That MoCA network, with the modem at one end and a MoCA adapter at another cable outlet, will allow 4582 users to run cable intra/internet in their homes over the existing cable system, with multiple outlets if desired.  It would require a MoCA Point of Entry Filter installed on the cable, as it enters the apartment to prevent MoCA leakage out of the home, and into the home from other systems. 

Here's the Actiontec EBC6500 which is a MoCA 2.0 Cable to ethernet adapter:

https://www.actiontec.com/products/home-networking/ecb6200/

If you happen to have a cable outlet near your upstairs pc, this might be a solution to the low data rates that you are experiencing via wifi.  That adapter supports privacy settings to protect the MoCA network if it has been updated to the latest firmware version.  The update process isn't straight forward, but, it isn't a big problem to run. 

Fwiw, MoCA 2.5 devices might be hitting the market fairly soon, with much faster data rates and multi-node capability.  Here's a couple of links for a MoCA Wifi adapter which will be interesting to see when it hits the market.  That would provide an easy solution for 4582 users who are looking to provide wifi coverage at the far corners of the home:

https://wegotserved.com/2017/01/03/moca-2-5-adapters-way-ces-2017/

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170103005478/en/MaxLinear-Zinwell-Bring-Multi-Gigabit-MoCA-t...

Also note, trial version 2.0.10.30 is expected to arrive next week.  That version is partly aimed at improving the wifi data rates, so, that version might also be of interest to yourself and a good many other 4582 users.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink I haven't made much headway to be honest, I wasn't able to schedule a time for a technician yet / I'm not sure how helpful that would be.

About that MoCA - Wow that is really interesting...I'd like to try that.  I have another cable output upstairs.  How difficult would that be to setup?   How would one install the point of entry filter as it enters the apartment? 

Lastly, where do you download the trial version next week?  

Thanks again for your continued support!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jordanlambert8 wrote:

@Datalink I haven't made much headway to be honest, I wasn't able to schedule a time for a technician yet / I'm not sure how helpful that would be.

About that MoCA - Wow that is really interesting...I'd like to try that.  I have another cable output upstairs.  How difficult would that be to setup?   How would one install the point of entry filter as it enters the apartment? 

Lastly, where do you download the trial version next week?  

Thanks again for your continued support!

@jordanlambert8

To get the beta firmware you need to send a PM to @CommunityHelps with the subject "CODA Firmware Trial" in the message include you account number, modem serial number, and modem MAC address. 

As for the POE MOCA filter it needs to be installed where the main cable line enters your unit, before the splitter. 

I Plan to Stick Around

@gp-se ok great thanks! I will do that.  Is that outside the house or you just install inside before splitter?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jordanlambert8

@jordanlambert8 wrote:

@gp-se ok great thanks! I will do that.  Is that outside the house or you just install inside before splitter?

Mine is installed inside my basement where the cable enters my house from the street tap. It can technically be installed anywhere before the tap on the street. The reason for the MOCA filter is to keep your network isolated from the TAP/other customers.

I installed a MOCA POE filter on the line into my house strictly to keep other peoples leaking MOCA out've my house. I myself don't run a MOCA network. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jordanlambert8 have a look at the following post from this morning and my response to it:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Rogers-Hitron-CODA-4582-Hardware/m-p/397794#M46441

I would recommend the Actiontec MoCA 2.0 adapters at this point as they will provide the highest data rates available under the MoCA 2.0 spec:

It is possible to run the privacy setting with that adapter with the latest adapter firmware available.  There seems to be some confusion in the company support regarding the firmware update, but, other users have posted the existence of that firmware.  Perhaps at this point in time, new adapters arrive with the latest firmware loaded.  That would have to be determined.  To run these with the privacy settings enabled, you would have to run two of these.  When the next trial firmware arrives it will hopefully have the privacy settings included in the version build.  At that point, you would be able to run the MoCA network, including the modem with privacy enabled (encryption).

So, if you read thru the linked post and its response, the shopping list to run a MoCA network would be:

MoCA filter

Actiontec MoCA adapter(s)

MoCA 2.0 qualified splitter (to be determined)

High Frequency F-Connectors

Fwiw, I don't run a MoCA network as our house is wired with Cat-5e which is part of the structured wiring that is installed in the walls.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Datalink wrote:

Fwiw, I don't run a MoCA network as our house is wired with Cat-5e which is part of the structured wiring that is installed in the walls.

I'm the same, I ran Cat 6 throughout my house. Nothing beats a wired connection for speed/latency/predictability.