cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Current modem offering for Ignite 150

Goozman
I've been around

I have just ordered Ignite 150 internet service.  The self install package will be arriving soon.  But, anyone know what modem is Rogers sending for the Ignite 150?  Should I buy my own instead?  Will that cause compatibility issues?

Thank you.

***Added Labels***

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Current modem offering for Ignite 150

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Goozman the self install package should include the modem that goes with the Ignite 150.  I'm not sure if you're talking about the conventional 150 Mb/s service which would use a Hitron CGN3 modem (Intel Puma 6), or if you signed up for the new Ignite TV service which uses the XB6 (Arris TG-3482ER (Intel Puma 7) or Technicolor CGM-4140COM (Broadcom BCM-3390)).  

I've see a couple of posts where new customers were able to use a Technicolor TC-4400 modem.  Thats a straight up modem, not a Gateway modem that Rogers typically uses.  The TC-4400 uses the Broadcom BCM3390 chipset, same as the Technicolor CGM-4140COM.  Rogers normally does not allow existing customers to use anything but approved modems, so the ability for new customers to use the TC-4400 is a departure from that policy. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Datalink wrote:

I've see a couple of posts where new customers were able to use a Technicolor TC-4400 modem. 

@CommunityHelps  Is this a myth or fact?  I know that I have posted here, in these Forums, my desire for us be able to sign up for Rogers Internet and use a Technicolor TC4400 modem.  Is this actually possible now?

Thanks!

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I suspect that existing customers wouldn't be allowed so switch to the TC-4400, but, if you're a brand new customer with a TC-4400 on hand, it apparently has been allowed.  That would require a change to the allowable modem list in order to select the modem type and allow its MAC address entry.  I'm assuming that the originating posters were honest in their posts.  The only problem with using the TC-4400 is "how do you update the modem?"  I wonder if Rogers is willing to push updates to these modems?

In any event, it would be good to know the official policy. @CommunityHelps ...... your turn. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Datalink wrote:

I suspect that existing customers wouldn't be allowed so switch to the TC-4400, but, if you're a brand new customer with a TC-4400 on hand, it apparently has been allowed.  That would require a change to the allowable modem list in order to select the modem type and allow its MAC address entry. 

Once a modem has been approved for use by TPIAs, the "hard part" has already been done.

The only problem with using the TC-4400 is "how do you update the modem?"  I wonder if Rogers is willing to push updates to these modems? 

Normally, once certified, firmware on a TPIA modem stays fixed for pretty much the life of the modem.  (We'll see how Rogers/TPIAs deal with modems that are vulnerable to the Cable Haunt exploits.)  However, I also recall seeing reports that Rogers can (and has) updated modems in the past.  The TC4400 is also on Comcast's "approved modem" list so Rogers can also follow their lead.

At least with a modem, Rogers won't have to worry about testing buggy gateway code, that the modem manufacturers themselves are not very good at writing, and that can be a huge pain point for both Rogers and their customers.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

What I meant by "allowable modem list" is the drop down menu that Rogers staff can select from.  Yup the modem has been approved for TPIA use, but, unless its been added to the Rogers systems, for Rogers customers, the store agents and Customer service agents wouldn't be able to select the 4400 as it simply wouldn't appear in the drop down menus.  So, adding to that menu would require someone to authorize that change.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Datalink  Yeah, I know what you meant.  🙂

And by the "hard part", I was referring to all the testing required to approve its use, and the back-end work that needs to be done so that a new modem can be provisioned on the network, for use by a Rogers customer or a TPIA customer.  I also don't mean to trivialize the additional work that needs to be done on Rogers' own systems.

One other thing that I noticed: the monthly Ignite Internet charges include a modem rental fee for the XB6 gateway.  It would be a good sign if this actually was optional.

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation