cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't create App password

eltbrown
I've been here awhile

When I tried to generate an App password to connect to Outlook.

I receive the following message:

Something went wrong on our end. Please try again later.

I tried calling Rogers Support I was told I would have to wait between 20 to 30 mins...

Not happy!

**Labels Added**

434 REPLIES 434

Re: Can't create App password

chdiamo1
I'm a reliable contributor
I hope Rogers will not want to incur the wrath of Shaw customers by forcing Yahoo Mail on them. But my impression is that the shareholders of Rogers matter a lot more to Rogers than their customers do. If angry customers mattered to Rogers, it would’ve switched over to Microsoft Exchange months ago. But maybe their takeover of Shaw will cause them to rethink their alliance-or whatever it is-with Yahoo.

fof9l
I plan to stick around

Mailbird doesn't work for me - actually, that's not quite true because my existing Mailbird installation crapped out on me when I had to move my files to a new hard drive, but I didn't try reinstalling it from scratch, so it might work if I did that. I also tried a new install of Thunderbird and it worked just fine; that's the only way I can now pick up Rogers emails, and I just checked - it's set up as IMAP.  My real problem is my phone, which I can't get to pick up Rogers at all, even on a new install - it keeps asking for the darned app password.

Pa_V
I plan to stick around

Well, I'll be....

I deleted and reinstalled Thunderbird on my Mac, added my email account as IMAP and my rogersmembercentre.com password and voilà!  Automatic connection 😀

I have the Yahoo mail app on my iPhone and it is working for my needs.  Too bad Thunderbird does not work on iOS....

chdiamo1
Pa_V, I am glad for you that the Rogersmembercentre.com website was able to generate an application password for you. After reading your message, I signed into the members centre website to generate a password, thinking the problem had been fixed. But it wasn’t or perhaps it was fixed for a very few hours and broke again. But when I tried to get the special one time passcode, I was advised that it was not possible and to use “Rogers” (really Yahoo’s) webmail. Many people have not been able to reset up their email applications for Yahoo-Rogers email when they have had to reinstall or reset up their email for Yahoo Rogers. You were lucky.

Pa_V
I plan to stick around
Hi chdiamo1,

I may have given the wrong impression in mentioning the rogersmembrecentre website.

I was not and still cannot generate an application specific password.

I was able to set up the email portion of Thunderbird using my regular password for that site. If I try to set up the calendar, using the necessary add-ons, I cannot as it requires the application specific password 🫤

Lexx124
I've been here awhile

For those still waiting for the ability to access the 'app password' feature, thought I'd pass along that I was talking with a Rogers rep regarding a separate email issue, and learned Rogers is actively trying to resolve this and have not given up. The Rep believed a solution 'MAY' be coming soon and may involve a different security approach, similar to a text to your authorized (registered) phone that many banks and financial institutions use now as secondary security. Hackers apparently had easy access to app passwords, so ................. We'll see

rbdvproductions
I plan to stick around
Many thanks for taking the time and effort to share this information with us. Thumbs up to.you...thank you. 👍👍

eellis1
I've been here awhile

Why isn't Rogers/Yahoo working to resolve the issue with mail in Microsoft Outlook.? Rogers techies should have resolved this issue by now and should be supplying their clients with a App/Password to correct the Outlook problem.  I believe Rogers has no intent on correcting this problem and they're feeding their clients a load of BS.  I paid a lot of money to get Microsoft Office Lifetime version with Outlook and can't use it.  Outlook is the only reason I purchased it. I believe Rogers/Yahoo should reimburse all their clients that depend on Microsoft Outlook for mail.  Don't care for webmail at all.  Only use it when I'm on vacation.  

carleke1
I've been here awhile

The same. My business email account no longer works with Outlook. I'm giving them a little bit more time although I don't think they'll fix it. I've stuck with Rogers because switching to a new email address would be a long task. But I'm as close to Bell as I have ever been.  

dmacgee
I've been here awhile

Almost June and still no fix. This is unacceptable there are many users who rely on using the desktop apps. I had to replace a computer and need to add a new device and haven't been able to. I've tried contacting support and don't get anywhere.

maghamir
I'm here a lot

I just chatted with their Tech support and still no ETA! All they can say is that they are working on it. What an embarrassment!  

fof9l
I plan to stick around

Agreed, although I'm not sure who should feel embarrassed - the Rogers tech people and management for consistently failing to solve a problem which is easily solved by switching email providers away from the awful Yahoo, or us, for staying with Rogers and allowing our subscriptions to enable their terrible behaviour.

qsgrampy
I plan to stick around

I have been having the same problem and finally got a reply that might help us.

I am the advisor who is in receipt of your request to escalate your concern for further review.

I am disappointed to hear that you have an unresolved concern that would require you to contact our office and would like to assure you that I will do everything possible to find a satisfactory outcome.

After researching your concerns, my understanding of your concern is as follows:

• You would like to discuss a concern with regards to not being able to have an application password generated in order to sync your Rogers.com email account with Outlook.

Please let me know if the above description is an accurate summary of your concerns.

As well, please let me know when you are available to discuss your concerns so that we may schedule a time to speak on the phone.  I am in the office this week from Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, (9:00am - 5:00pm) PST / Wednesday, Friday (6am - 2pm) PST .

ATP13
I plan to stick around

Best of luck to you. There are many who have given up hope of Rogers actually caring about its customers and acting on this issue.

It seems to be simple fix to eliminate this app generator for the time being, but no, Rogers is tied to Yahoo here and could care less. I myself have started to move on to outlook.com. It is hard though since we cannot do auto-forward of emails.

ATP13
I plan to stick around

Or i dunno - use Microsoft Authenticator, or just let us use our password like they do on other programs.

It should not be so hard.

Pal2Dive4
I've been here awhile

Can someone here please provide/post a phone number you have used to reach Rogers 'successfully'  regarding this issue?  and an email address if available? Thanks.

qsgrampy
I plan to stick around

Hi. I wrote an email to the usual site (Concerns) and got the reply from John David. 

His email is: rogerscommunicationsofficeofthepresident@rci.rogers.com

chdiamo1
Because Rogers uses Yahoo authentication and not Microsoft Authenticator, only Yahoo USA can fix the problem. And since Canada has 1/10 the population and even fewer percentage of email users, there really isn’t any incentive for Yahoo USA to fix the problem for Rogers customers. All we can do as Rogers customers is beg and plead and be angry and/or resigned to the situation, but not much else. So, we can write and call till the cows come home. And that’s it. The moral of this story is this. Do NOT bundle your internet, tv, landline and cell phone services with one provider to save a few dollars a month. It isn’t worth it and you might end up with no landline, no cell phone service, no email and no cable tv. So when the Rogers’ call centre phones with a “great” offer, you might want to give it some thought before you decide.

dozertank
I'm here a lot

ugh...webmail sucks!!!!  Please update this function

Walsus
I've been around

This issue has been going on for three months today. Can anyone explain what is happening and why it is taking so long for a solution?

qsgrampy
I plan to stick around

I will be having a phone call from Jeff David tomorrow. He is the Vice President for Rogers and I will post the results of that call as soon as I finish it. We should have some answers, I hope.