cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't create App password

eltbrown
I've been here awhile

When I tried to generate an App password to connect to Outlook.

I receive the following message:

Something went wrong on our end. Please try again later.

I tried calling Rogers Support I was told I would have to wait between 20 to 30 mins...

Not happy!

**Labels Added**

438 REPLIES 438

Re: Can't create App password

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ThatTate wrote:

...what other ISPs currently offer this? Bell? Any of the small ones?

What you want to do is get away from ISPs altogether so you never need to go through this again when switching ISPs, etc..  I'd suggest something like Gmail which is free, or you can register your own domain.

fof9l
I plan to stick around

I've had the same issue with my BlackBerry Hub - the only real integrated system that worked properly - since this Yahoo thing started, but I have found that Thunderbird seems to work on my laptop.  A new installation of TBird did not require anYahoo password, and works fine, and you can use TBird for a number of email accounts from different providers. I'm not wild about it, but at least it works, and I can access my Rogers account email.  I'm using it to email all my contacts that still have my Rogers email address to tell them to stop using that address, and to use one at my own website now, so I shouldn't have this problem in future. Then I can just walk away from Rogers.

Further to the ongoing many Rogers Yahoo mail subscribers are having - not being able to use MS Outlook to send/receive/store/manage since a few months back :  could not Yahoo and/or Rogers not somehow help enable the autoforward feature in Yahoo Mail so as to send to a MS user.name@outlook.com mailbox!  By the end of the month there will be thousand Rogers subscribers bailing and moving to a new ISP ... me included.  🙂

CBG
I've been here awhile

How can I obtain a previously generated working password from this app? I am trying to move my Outlook .pst file from an old laptop to a new laptop. When I get to the rogersmembercentre page, it displays the names of two prior passwords that I generated, but I can't click on anything to see those passwords. Similarly, when I look in the Outlook configuration settings on my old laptop, it shows the working password as "***********" but I can't see or copy it. Thanks!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@CBG , as you have gathered from this thread, it is not possible to generate an app password for use in Outlook at this time.  The way you are trying to "work around" this process will likely also not work (I tried the "copy ************" app PW" for my wife's outlook, which for some reason did not "populate" when I did what I will explain below..

When I recently upgraded from an old Mac Mini to a new Mac Mini M2, I did a backup using Time Machine and then did a "restore from Time Machine" to the new computer. This kept my two app passwords intact in Outlook. Unfortunately, my wife's app PWs did not make it through this process, but luckily she doesn't e-mail much and doesn't mind using Webmail since that's what we use when we travel, which we do quite often.

I do use Outlook a lot, so if I ever lost the app PW, I might use Webmail for a short while, but if it weren't fixed, I would notify all my contacts, etc and switch to Gmail, where app PWs are not an issue.

Edgardo1956
I plan to stick around

I was able to get the password using the instructions on this article https://support.tigertech.net/find-email-password-outlook-windows It did work for Outlook 2016 but does not work for Outlook 2013

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Edgardo1956 : Thanks for the feedback.  Unfortunately for me:

1. I'm using Outlook, part of MS356 on a Mac, which is different than Windows and probably different than any Outlook followed by a year for the Mac.

2. I didn't see a "repair" option, although it did look as though I could access the app PW by clicking that area and entering a user password for my wife's side of the computer.

3. Unfortunately, there was no PW there to copy (there was no ********** in the field after migrating to the new computer).  I could perhaps fire up the old computer again and perhaps find it there and copy it, but I did that just after I got the new Mac Mini M2, but the app PW in the old Mac Mini for Outlook would not copy correctly...

4. I would have probably done some more digging if it were not for the fact that my wife doesn't use e-mail much and doesn't mind using Webmail.

5. Let's hope your tip helps someone else migrating to a new computer.

CBG
I've been here awhile

@Edgardo1956 Thank you for that excellent tip. I was able to obtain existing passwords on two separate laptops running Outlook, using that semi-hidden technique.

When I pasted a known working password from an old laptop, into the same copy of my Outlook .pst file on a new laptop, it successfully sent a test email to my account. However, when I tried Send / Receive, it still gave me the error message "!Task 'myemail@rogers.com - Sending' reported error (0x8004010F): 'Outlook data file cannot be accessed.'

Any ideas? Thanks!

ThatTate
I plan to stick around

One of the issues is that the app passwords expire. My app password was working fine until yesterday, and suddenly stopped. So -- if you can retrieve a previously working password, it may work, but it may not. For some of us, the lack of ability to generate a new password is the main issue once the old ones stop working -- there's no way to get a new working app password.

ksgraham
I've been here awhile

I know this is an older comment but, I can't even get the Mac Mail app to work. I try to login to my Rogers Yahoo account and it says: "Authentication failed: failed to authenticate with Yahoo!, please try again later" 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ksgraham : Can you login to Rogers/Yahoo Webmail OK using a browser?

ksgraham
I've been here awhile

Yes, webmail is no problem and I can access my Rogers Yahoo account on Thunderbird. It may be a Mac Mail issue, but my mom who also has a Rogers Yahoo account is also having this issue. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It's been a long time since I set up Mail on my iPad, but did you start from basics in Mail, where Mail asks you which service you're using, then click Yahoo and then fill in your e-mail address and password?

ksgraham
I've been here awhile
Yep! Email and password, then it pops up with an authentication failed message

chdiamo1
I'm a reliable contributor
My Windows Mail also requires an application password that Yahoo’s Rogers email is unable to provide. So, I now have at least two email clients that no longer work with Yahoo’s Rogers email! I would not be surprised if Yahoo’s Rogers webmail were to stop responding with Yahoo’s Rogers telling us they’re working on it but that there is no ETA.

chdiamo1

It doesn't matter that you bought Microsoft Outlook and can't use it with Yahoo's "Rogers" email.

It doesn't matter to Rogers that you pay Rogers every month for a service and can't use all the services you used to have.

It doesn't matter to Yahoo, a U.S. company, that its Canadian customers via Rogers can't get an authentication code to use Outlook.

The U.S. has 350,000,000 people. Canada has 40,000,000 people. So, if an insignificant number of Yahoo Canada customers (via "Rogers") can't obtain an application authenticator password, what's it to a foreign company such as Yahoo? It is n-o-t-h-i-n-g. I do not think Windows Mail or Outlook will ever work again with Rogers. If you need Outlook for your business, you will either have to let your customers/clients know that you no longer have the level of security you used to have or that you are changing your email address and all the time, money (new business cards) and trouble (lost business?) that is entailed in switching email or internet service provider. This problem will NOT be solved, that is obvious.  

ThatTate
I plan to stick around

I got the sense that newer versions of Mac Mail might work without the app password, updated to Monterey / Mail 16.0, and it doesn't seem any different. But perhaps that's only on the iOS for iPhone/iPad, and not the desktop. Anyone know otherwise?

And legit question -- does anyone know if Bell's app password generator works? I really don't want to go over there, but may have to.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ThatTate wrote:

...does anyone know if Bell's app password generator works? 

There is no reason to go to Bell.  You can stay with Rogers and simply get an e-mail address that is not associated with an ISP, like Gmail.  You can also purchase your own domain e-mail for a few $ per month.  In either way you will never be "tied" to an ISP again.

chdiamo1

Gmail is a problem in itself. It has the habit, from time to time, of telling everyone that I have a gmail account. Then I miss my @rogers.com emails because people think I've changed my email address and start sending emails to my gmail account, which I hardly use and check very infrequently. I suspect it might have arisen by my sending urls from Chrome, a gmail browser.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@chdiamo1 wrote:

... It has the habit, from time to time, of telling everyone that I have a gmail account. 

I have never had that happen.  Do you have a sample text or screenshot (without personal info).  Like you, I only have Gmail mainly as a backup and use it rarely.  I only have one contact listed there, although I have additional correspondence on Gmail with various sources.

Unlike Yahoo, Gmail has excellent spam and fishing algorithms.  I have never received spam or phishing there.  So far only my wife has been affected by the Outlook/app PW issue, but if I'm ever affected, I will probably migrate totally to Gmail.

macham
I've been here awhile

Yahoo server not accepting Apple MacOS Mail Client

Apple Mac OS Mail is no longer able to access the Rogers Yahoo server.  Apparently, this is a known problem (requirement) for all third party apps on Yahoo.  Most ISP's are able to generate the app-specific passwords that Yahoo requires. For some reason, Rogers can not.

I am able to access my Gmail and iCloud accounts using MacOS Mail but not my rogers.com (i.e. Yahoo) accounts.  I am able to access my Yahoo account with webmail and my iOS devices.

A tech chat reveals that this problem has been known for months but there is no ETA for a fix.

Has anybody else experienced this problem or does anybody else have a workaround?