Using the Ignite TV Modem/Gateway in Bridge Mode

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Using the Ignite TV Modem/Gateway in Bridge Mode

Greetings All,

Coming back to Rogers Internet after being with Bell Fibe for a number of years and recently having nothing but problems with them. Getting my Ignite service installed later in the week, 500 mbps service. Currently I have a Linksys MR900 router and two Velop nodes for wifi in my house as the bell modem in the basement can't reach anywhere. When I get my Ignite modem will I have any issues continuing to use my Linksys setup and not using the WIFI that is built into the Rogers Modem? I will have two setup TV boxes coming as well that I can connect via ethernet as I already have my two Bell TV boxes connected on ethernet.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Fookaroo have a read thru the following thread, which is similar to what your're going to do:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Ignite-TV-Home-Phone-amp-Own-Router-Questions/m-p/466...

Short answer, yes, you can use your own router.  Long answer, that configuration is not supported by Rogers, so, if you run into any problems, you would have to be able to revert to the standard configuration for troubleshooting purposes with Rogers techs.  That means that the XB6 modem has to run in Gateway mode for troubleshooting.  

The Xi6-A and Xi6-T set top boxes only have an ethernet port, HDMI out, and power cable port.  You can connect the set top boxes via ethernet or wifi, but, if you connect via ethernet, the set top boxes insist on connecting with a wifi network as well.  If the wifi connection to the set box location is less than adequate, that will cause problems, regardless of whether the set top box is running via ethernet or wifi.  

Ok, have a read thru that thread first.  There are other threads in the forum that deal with the Ignite TV system, with a great deal of info in those threads. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks i'll take a look. On my linksys setup right now I have that set to bridge mode so the Bell modem handles everything.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Are you on DSL/VDSL Fibe or fibre Fibe?  Just curious.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I have the DSL/VDSL service.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you happen to be a gamer, you might want to consider staying with your current service.  Here's a rather interesting thread, comparing ICMP latency between Rogers cable service and Bell's VDSL.  

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32824164-Ping-comparison-between-Rogers-cable-and-Bell-VDSL

Compared to DOCSIS internet, VDSL ICMP latency is much lower and very consistent.  Interesting to say the least. 

I'd bet that TCP/IP and UDP results will be about the same in terms of the latency average, but, VDSL would be consistent compared to a wider DOCSIS result.  

So, thats not a reflection on Rogers, compared to Bell, its really a comparison to cable DOCSIS which in use everywhere, to VDSL, which isn't so popular these days. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Fookaroo wrote:

Thanks i'll take a look. On my linksys setup right now I have that set to bridge mode so the Bell modem handles everything.

You'll probably want to keep that setup with the Ignite XB6 gateway as well.  (Just disable the "Private Wi-Fi Network" on the XB6.)  Ignite TV uses IPv6, and the IPv6 implementation on Linksys products is pretty basic.  Furthermore, according to Linksys, the Velop mesh networks also perform better in bridge mode since the parent node does not have to act as a router/firewall.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Just a quick follow up, got the service installed today, lighting fast. Disabled wifi on the modem, plugged in my main node from my mesh setup, everything connected right away, setup the set top boxes onto my wifi, all 3 working great!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

So I was on digital cable/model up until 2 hours ago when I upgraded to Ignite.  Needless to say, it's been frustrating.

My setup was the digital modem in bridge mode using a Netgear R7000 router, and then several TP-Link EAP-225 for access points, and 3 switches (due to IP cameras needing POE).

I tried removing my netgear router and using the Ignite modem, and some of the items on my switches just stopped working (e.g., MyQChamberlain connection).  It would be identified on the ignite app, I would assign it, then it just wouldn't "connect".  Called Rogers, they of course simply said "must be the switch, call the switch manufacturer since it works fine when directly connected to our modem".  Well, what does anyone think the switch manufacturer is going to say when I say "things stopped working right when I changed my rogers modem".  I digress.

Figured I would set up the Ignite modem in bridge mode and use the same set up I did before.  But after following the Netgear advice on how to setup IpV6 in this forum ..

Rogers IPv6 Settings for Netgear routers

In the ADVANCED / Advanced Setup / IPv6 menu:

• Internet Connection Type: DHCP
  • IPv6 Domain Name Server (DNS) Address: Get automatically from ISP
  • LAN Setup: Auto Config

Sure enough, my router simply doesn't get an ipv6 from the Ignite modem. Have tried rebooting the router, refreshing, releasing/renewing my IP, rebooting the modem...nada.

Any help would be appreciated!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

This is what I'm seeing btw:

Internet Connection Type: DHCP

Router's IPv6 Address On WAN

Not Available
LAN Setup
Router's IPv6 Address On LAN

Not Available