cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers IPv6 Status

foodgodessto
I've been here awhile

Hello,

I'm wondering what the current IPv6 status is within Rogers.  A search on the forums only shows 10 topics over the past year that even mention IPv6, and there doesn't appear to be any official communications from Rogers since IPv6 day last year.

I know that Rogers (supposedly) supports IPv6 tunneling (although the only person to ask about it did not get any responses).

602 REPLIES 602

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status

Thank you Dave

I noticed once my CMTS was changed to Casa harware from Cisco hardware that even after a factory reset it wont download the full firmware after a reset. Before If I did a Factroy Reset the modem would take about 5mins to boot up fully, with the Downstream light flashing for a long time, this I assume was the Modem downloading the firmware\configuration. Lately even after a factory reset it will boot up fast, as if bypassing that step. So perhaps this issue is isolated to areas running the new Casa Hardware.

gw280
I plan to stick around

I'm on a CGN3ROG (4.2.4.6 firmware) bridged to an EdgeRouter and I'm not getting any IPv6 connectivity in either bridge mode or gateway mode. I've factory reset the CGN3ROG.

dhcp6c on my router is showing the following error:

Apr/28/2016 23:27:42: client6_recvadvert: advertise contains NoAddrsAvail status

If I change it to only request a prefix and not a non-temporary address as well:

Apr/28/2016 23:35:22: update_ia: status code for PD-1: no prefixes

So it appears that there's a dhcpv6 server that it's communicating with, but it's not configured to delegate any addresses or prefixes.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

Another update: I called in to change my plan just now, from 100u to 250u. My modem rebooted when they pushed the 250u configuration\provision file, however still no ipv6! I even logged back in and did the factory reset, same results.

So in Gateway Mode we aren't getting ipv6 here, even if the Rogers end pushes a configuration\provision file.

Don't know if this is isolated to the CGN3ACSMR, Casa CMTS Hardware, or a combination of both?

@davem wrote:

I am pleased to announce that 100 percent of Rogers' broadband network has been fully deployed to support IPv6 dual stack connectivity.

Thanks for confirming that. 

My parents in NB with a CGN3ACSMR and a bridged RT-AC56U have native IPv6. 

I can't seem to get an IPv6 address on my FreeBSD router here in Toronto, but I'll presume that's my equipment/software's fault and get to work on troubleshooting it...

@gw280 wrote:

I'm on a CGN3ROG (4.2.4.6 firmware) bridged to an EdgeRouter and I'm not getting any IPv6 connectivity in either bridge mode or gateway mode. I've factory reset the CGN3ROG.

dhcp6c on my router is showing the following error:

Apr/28/2016 23:27:42: client6_recvadvert: advertise contains NoAddrsAvail status

If I change it to only request a prefix and not a non-temporary address as well:

Apr/28/2016 23:35:22: update_ia: status code for PD-1: no prefixes

So it appears that there's a dhcpv6 server that it's communicating with, but it's not configured to delegate any addresses or prefixes.

You are right gw280, this sounds like a DHCPv6 affecting your area. Our teams will look into it tomorrow.

VivienM
I'm an advisor

Okay, I got my IPv6 running!

@RogersDave, question for you: what is the plan for reverse DNS for the /64 subnet? Right now, my 'outside' interface has reverse DNS, but I don't think anything in the /64 does... 

netwrks
I plan to stick around

With IPV6, Network Security becomes more important than ever, since NAT is out of the equation, and all IPV6 IP Addresses are public, does Rogers enable IPSEC for IPV6 traffic?   

What set up parameters are used for Rogers IPV6? 

- DHCPV6 with Prefix Delegation?

- Native IPV6?

- Any Rogers IPV6 DNS Servers?

@VivienM wrote:

@RogersDave, question for you: what is the plan for reverse DNS for the /64 subnet? Right now, my 'outside' interface has reverse DNS, but I don't think anything in the /64 does... 

Within the scope of the IA_PD (the /64), the allocation of address occurs on your local LAN. Rogers provides the first 64 bits of the address while the last 64 bits are generated locally.

Rogers has no knowledge of these assignment and therefore can't automatically generate a reverse DNS entry (PTR) for endpoints within the LAN.

The 'outside' interface is a IA_NA (Identity association for non-temporary address) assigned to the CPE at /128. Because of that, we can create a PTR entry for this address.

JKnott
I'm a reliable contributor

"With IPV6, Network Security becomes more important than ever, since NAT is out of the equation, and all IPV6 IP Addresses are public, does Rogers enable IPSEC for IPV6 traffic? "

As always, just use a firewall.  As for IPSec, that's an end to end protocol so Rogers has nothing to do with it.

After investigation of the problem reported yesterday by @howi and @gp-se, it appears that multiple users are unable to obtain an IPv6 address when using a Rocket Wi-Fi Modem (Hitron CGN3ACSMR) in gateway mode. Full IPv6 functionality is however present in bridge mode with an external router.

Our engineering teams have been able to identify the root cause and are currently working on a solution.

The problem reported by @gw280 has also been investigated and is a localized issue. It should be resolved within a couple of days.

gw280
I plan to stick around

Thanks DaveM! Glad to see it's been identified and a fix is on the horizon.

I also note that protocol 41 throughput has drastically improved recently. Was your team responsible for this as well?

Last friday (April 22) i found that i got a IPv6 on the WAN interface of my pfSense firewall. I configured my LAN to receive a v6 prefix from the WAN interface and then i found that the traffic stop being routed after 3 hops.

Tracing route to ipv6.l.google.com [2607:f8b0:4006:80d::200e]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 2607:fea8:cc1f:*:*:*:*:*
2 21 ms 18 ms 17 ms 2607:f798:80c:c0::1
3 29 ms 27 ms 27 ms 2607:f798:10:8006:0:690:6324:3077

4     *        *        *     Request timed out.

I'm guessing it is a localized issue? Does somebody else have the same issue?

My WAN interface seem to have full IPv6 connectivity but my LAN doesn't.

CGN3 in bridge mode (I tried a factory reset and then activate the bridge mode again) with a pfSense 2.3 firewall.

Dave thanks for the update, glad to see you guys are keeping us upto date!

So I just noticed my CGN3ACSMR has been updated 4.5.8.20 firmware! Can you let us in on what the changes are?

I just noticed with the new firmware: Now there is a Rogers Easy Connect? How can I disable or bypass this?

But more Important, ipv6 nows works in Gateway Mode!!!!

Also the 2.4Ghz Light on all the time bug has been fixed!

I did a factory reset from the GUI and now I get ipv6 in Gateway Mode after the firmware update.

I'm very impressed how fast the issues got resolved, keep up the good work Rogers!

Can't wait for the HSPA+\LTE upgrades.

JKnott
I'm a reliable contributor

@davem wrote:

I am pleased to announce that 100 percent of Rogers' broadband network has been fully deployed to support IPv6 dual stack connectivity.

At this point, the following devices are compatible and enabled for IPv6 functionality:

o              Rocket or Rocket Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem: Hitron CGN3ACR/ACSMR or Hitron CGNM3552 (factory reset may be required to enable IPv6)

o              Advanced Wi-Fi Modem: Hitron CGN3 (factory reset may be required to enable IPv6)

o              Wi-Fi Modem: Hitron CGN2

o              Older modems: Scientific Atlanta/Cisco DPC2100, Motorola SB5101

We will be enabling IPv6 on all future gateways as well. We unfortunately have no plan at this stage to enable IPv6 on other already launched devices due to technical or compatibility issues. If you have an older generation modem and wish to exchange it, you can contact our customer care team to swap it for one of our advanced Wi-Fi gateway. We are also working on deploying IPv6 for our FIDO customers in the coming months.

For all these devices, IPv6 is fully supported in bridge mode (with an external router). In gateway mode, some modems may require a factory reset (in the GUI) to enable IPv6 functionality. With an upcoming firmware update, IPv6 will be enabled for all customers without additional user intervention.

At the moment, the delegated prefix length is limited to a /64. We understand that some of you are eager to get a larger prefix in order to take advantage of some of the advanced functionalities IPv6 has to offer. Now that we have completed the rollout, our engineering teams are currently assessing the effort required to enable this functionality.

The deployment of IPv6 is a critical step in supporting the growing needs of the Internet as IPv4 resources are becoming extremely scarce. Rogers is pleased to have completed this significant achievement and to be supporting the Internet community in providing access to the latest generation networks. In parallel, our wireless teams have been working diligently to enable IPv6 functionality on our state of the art HSPA/LTE network. Stay tuned more updates on this to come.

I called the support line a couple of days ago and asked about my Cisco DPC 3825 and was told it would be supported, but a date would not be available.  He even too a few minutes to verify that was accurate.  Which is it?  Also, what about smart phones?  My Google Nexus 5, which I bought from Rogers, gets an IPv6 address when connected to my WiFi, but not the cell network.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

Wow this firmware update is amazing, thank you Rogers!

What I've noticed:

-ipv6 works in Gateway Mode

-2.4Ghz Light isn't on all the time

-Latency\Jitter may be improved even more, I'm noticing websites are loading much faster

-They changed the WiFi setup menu in the GUI, I like the changes

-Intel_CE_Linux no longer shows up in my network devices (very annoying before showing this)

Overall I'm soo impressed by this Rogers, hopefully the team that did this can fix the Navigator issues...lol

@Maxhac This issue is indeed localized and has been reported.

@gp-se Thanks for the good words. There is a large team of people working behind the scenes at making this deployment a success. HSPA/LTE not yet but should be soon.

@JKnott The DPC3825 is definitively not on the planned list. I will make sure that front line agents have the correct information regarding this.

@davem wrote:

@VivienM wrote:

Within the scope of the IA_PD (the /64), the allocation of address occurs on your local LAN. Rogers provides the first 64 bits of the address while the last 64 bits are generated locally.

Rogers has no knowledge of these assignment and therefore can't automatically generate a reverse DNS entry (PTR) for endpoints within the LAN.

The 'outside' interface is a IA_NA (Identity association for non-temporary address) assigned to the CPE at /128. Because of that, we can create a PTR entry for this address.

Right, that all makes sense... but... assuming that some things in IPv6 land will (as things do in IPv4 land) require reverse DNS, that is a bit problematic.

That being said, I am googling now. Reading draft-ietf-dnsop-isp-ip6rdns from Dec. 2015, and it seems that no one has found a good solution to this problem... (unless I can talk you into delegating reverse DNS for my /64 to me... ;-))

tyvm
I plan to stick around

I'm using a CGN3 bridged to an AC68U and not getting a ipv6 address. I've updated the firmware on the router turned on and off ipv6 several times, rebooted modem then router still not getting an IP.

VivienM
I'm an advisor

@tyvm wrote:

I'm using a CGN3 bridged to an AC68U and not getting a ipv6 address. I've updated the firmware on the router turned on and off ipv6 several times, rebooted modem then router still not getting an IP.

Are you setting the AC68U to IPv6 'native'? 

And what does its IPv6 status page show? (Forget about whether your computer is actually getting an IPv6 address from the AC68U)

tyvm
I plan to stick around

I do have it set to native.

What status page do you mean?

VivienM
I'm an advisor

@tyvm wrote:

I do have it set to native.

What status page do you mean?

Hmmm... I'm not sure what exactly it's called (the only 56/68Us I have access to that run in router mode display a French interface; mine is in access point mode and doesn't have the IPv6 status page), but if you go to one of the bottom two or three items on the left navigation bar, there's an IPv6 subsection in there that will give you the status of your IPv6...