cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers IPv6 Status

foodgodessto
I've been here awhile

Hello,

I'm wondering what the current IPv6 status is within Rogers.  A search on the forums only shows 10 topics over the past year that even mention IPv6, and there doesn't appear to be any official communications from Rogers since IPv6 day last year.

I know that Rogers (supposedly) supports IPv6 tunneling (although the only person to ask about it did not get any responses).

602 REPLIES 602

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@JKnott Have they factory reset their gateways? Could also be something upstream from the modem bocking ipv6 (firewall)

JKnott
I'm a reliable contributor

@gp-se wrote:

@JKnott Have they factory reset their gateways? Could also be something upstream from the modem bocking ipv6 (firewall)

The one I was looking at this week is a new install.  Wouldn't the modem be ready for IPv6 when installed?  It would be bad if a new customer was expected to reset the modem to get full function.  The otherone has been in service for a while, but I though there was going to be a way to update without resetting.

The only thing that should be required is a modem restart.  Pull the power and plug it back in.  After the restart, check the modem's STATUS tab, specifically the WAN IP address block in the upper right hand corner.  It should contain both IPV4 and IPV6 addresses.  The exceptions are probably as follows:

1.  The CODA-4582 which has IPV6 disabled by the user if firmware version 2.0.10.27 is loaded; or

2.  The Cisco DPC-3825 which is not enabled for IPV6 operation; or

3.  The CGN3ACR/AMR/AMF which is running production firmware and running in Gateway mode.  In Bridge mode, they should be ok for IPV6 operation.  For those users who have the latest trial firmware installed on those modems, I believe IPV6 should be available in both Gateway and Bridge modes.  Users can always ask to have the latest trial firmware loaded on those modems.  That firmware is built for the CGN3ACSMR, but can be loaded on other modems.

For the CODA-4582 with V2.0.10.26T2 loaded, both IPV4 and IPV6 addresses should be present after the modem restart.  If not, then the CMTS is not assigning IPV6 addresses to the modem.  That should be reported to @RogersDave or possible Tech Support Level II staff to check out.  Going thru Tech Support, you would have to get past the Level I CSR, which may or may not be a problem depending on who you are talking to.  Basic question for the Level I CSR, can you fix the CMTS.  If not, then pass me to the Level II CSR.  Even then, probably the only thing the Level II CSR can do is report that problem to the network engineering staff.  

fozboz
I've been here awhile

IPv6 firewall on CGN3ACSMR gateway?

I have a public IPv6 address.

My router has a different, publicly routable /64 IPv6 address, so I'm taking it that Rogers have given me this /64 network. It's not correct IPv6 terminology, but I'll refer to this as my 'internal' network.

I've brought hosts up on this 'internal' network, and I can ping them all from public internet, which was quite exciting! But I've hit a roadblock with SSH, and I'm guessing I would with some other services too.

On one host I have an SSH server and an HTTP server listening on ports 22 and 80 respectively. Both of these I can connect to from any device on my 'internal' network using IPv4 & 6.

I can connect to the web host from public internet. However, I cannot SSH. (using IPv6).

BUT, if I change SSH to listen on port 80, I can connect from public internet just fine.

So, something's blocking port 22. Turning entire firewall off does not make any difference, so I'm assuming there's another IPv6 firewall. Problem is, I can't find anywhere in the GUI where I can change its settings. Can anyone shed any light on this?

JKnott

@fozboz wrote:

IPv6 firewall on CGN3ACSMR gateway?

I have a public IPv6 address.

My router has a different, publicly routable /64 IPv6 address, so I'm taking it that Rogers have given me this /64 network. It's not correct IPv6 terminology, but I'll refer to this as my 'internal' network.

I've brought hosts up on this 'internal' network, and I can ping them all from public internet, which was quite exciting! But I've hit a roadblock with SSH, and I'm guessing I would with some other services too.

On one host I have an SSH server and an HTTP server listening on ports 22 and 80 respectively. Both of these I can connect to from any device on my 'internal' network using IPv4 & 6.

I can connect to the web host from public internet. However, I cannot SSH. (using IPv6).

BUT, if I change SSH to listen on port 80, I can connect from public internet just fine.

So, something's blocking port 22. Turning entire firewall off does not make any difference, so I'm assuming there's another IPv6 firewall. Problem is, I can't find anywhere in the GUI where I can change its settings. Can anyone shed any light on this?

I put my modem into bridge mode and run pfSense on an old computer for my firewall/router.  I didn't bother using the modem's firewall, as I found it to be pathetic.  You might consider doing the same.

BTW, if you use a separate router/firewall, Rogers will provide up to a /56, which is 256 /64s or 2^72 addresses.  Hopefully that will be enough for you.  😉

zardoz99
I plan to stick around

Anyone else in the K-W area having serious problems with IPv6 today after complete service outages last night? 

Initially unable to obtain an IPv6 address this morning but after two Rogers-initiated factory resets, I have what looks like a valid address. It just doesn't work. 

JKnott

I was at my uncle's tonight and noticed, in addition to the normal link local and global unicast addresses, I also got FC00:: unique local addresses.  Is this normal for Rogers.  I don't recall seeing that in the brief time I had my own modem set up in router mode.  According to Wikipedia, that block of unique local addresses hasn't been assigned by the IETF yet.

JKnott

Here's some info that shows Rogers is leading the pack, with IPv6 in Canada.

IPv6 in Canada

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@JKnott wrote:

Here's some info that shows Rogers is leading the pack, with IPv6 in Canada.

IPv6 in Canada

I'm not surprised with where Bell is on that chart...lol

Rogers has been pushing IPV6 for a while now, and the best part is their entire Internet and Cellular network are IPV6 enabled.

JKnott

I was just looking at the router advertisements from Rogers and I see that providing 3 prefixes, including my WAN prefix, in the 2607: range and also 2 Unique Local Address prefixes in the fd07:f798 range.  Any idea why they're pushing so many?  My firewall is only receiving the 2607: prefix, but I have also seen a single ULA prefix where the customer is not using their own router.

OAB27
I've been here awhile

Hi,  

I'm trying to adjust some manual settings so I can test some parental controls on my WRT1900Ac Linksys router. 

Looking to enable a a 6rd Tunnel to allow my router to send IPv6 IP Addresses over IPv4 networks.

I need to get the following from Rogers, but nobody in tech support has been able to help.

Can some one please help and advise what the Rogers settings are for the following:

• Network Setup Prefix
  • Prefix Length
  • Border Relay
  • IPv4 Address Mask Length

Thank you so much in advance.

JKnott

What exactly is it you're trying to do?  Rogers provides IPv6 natively, so you don't need to use 6rd.  If you use your own router and put the modem in bridge mode you can have a /56 prefix, which provides 256 /64 prefixes.  If you're trying to send one of those prefixes elsewhere, then you can use a VPN or, if you must, a 6in4 tunnel.  You wouldn't want to use 6rd in that situation, as the IPv6 addresses are tied to your IPv4 address, which means you might be trying to hand out IPv6 addresses that aren't yours.

The purpose of 6rd is for ISPs to provide IPv6, when native support is not available.  It is not intended for people to use IPv6 in another location.

OAB27
I've been here awhile

Hi JKnott, 

Thanks for the response.  

I have having issues with Linksys router.   Seems the Parental controls are sporadic.  Sometimes, may work, most of the time it won't.  So I contacted Linksys.   To stabilize the internet blocking on the connected devices, they suggested to try the following (See link below):

https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=138022

Although, I have the router in Automatic mode and IPv6 enabled.  They suggested that it might solve the issue.  I reached out to them again and asked to confirm it was the right link.  

Your thoughts on the above would be most appreciated 

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you're looking for info on 6rd or 6to4, you won't find any as Rogers decommissioned those services on May 18th 2017:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Rogers-IPv6-Status/m-p/392435#M44807

JKnott

@OAB27 wrote:

Hi JKnott, 

Thanks for the response.  

I have having issues with Linksys router.   Seems the Parental controls are sporadic.  Sometimes, may work, most of the time it won't.  So I contacted Linksys.   To stabilize the internet blocking on the connected devices, they suggested to try the following (See link below):

https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=138022

Although, I have the router in Automatic mode and IPv6 enabled.  They suggested that it might solve the issue.  I reached out to them again and asked to confirm it was the right link.  

Your thoughts on the above would be most appreciated 

To use IPv6 on Rogers, the router has to support DHCPv6-PD.  The "PD" stands for Prefix Delegation, which is how Rogers pushes your prefix to your local network.  If that Linksys doesn't support it, you'll have to get another one that does.  Those instructions, in the link, appear to imply manual configuration.

For my firewall, I use pfSense, on a computer, which supports DHCPv6-PD.

coolspot
I plan to stick around
I have IPv6 working with pfSense, but my IPv6 address dropps from time to time.

I'm on Rogers Gigabit - is dropping IPv6 addresses a known issue?

I also have a DSL line for backup, and that IPv6 address is rock solid.

Thanks.

JKnott

@coolspot wrote:
I have IPv6 working with pfSense, but my IPv6 address dropps from time to time.

I'm on Rogers Gigabit - is dropping IPv6 addresses a known issue?

I also have a DSL line for backup, and that IPv6 address is rock solid.

Thanks.

I have Ignite 60 and don't have problems with IPv6 dropping.  It's quite solid.  I'm also running pfSense.

lobotiger
I've been here awhile

Hi everyone.  Just connected my Rogers Ignite 150u service and put the modem in bridge mode and followed the suggestions on here for getting ipv6 working on my pfsense.  Just one question about the prefix delegation.  Should I be getting a /56 assigned to me as it appears that I'm only seeing a /64 assignment on my LAN interface.  On the WAN interface I put 56 as the prefix size but when I check the status of the interface for my LAN it shows the assigned prefix to be a /64.

JKnott

@lobotiger wrote:

Hi everyone.  Just connected my Rogers Ignite 150u service and put the modem in bridge mode and followed the suggestions on here for getting ipv6 working on my pfsense.  Just one question about the prefix delegation.  Should I be getting a /56 assigned to me as it appears that I'm only seeing a /64 assignment on my LAN interface.  On the WAN interface I put 56 as the prefix size but when I check the status of the interface for my LAN it shows the assigned prefix to be a /64.

You only see a /64 on a network.  That /56 can be used for up to 256 /64s.

@JKnott could probably answer this for you.  Here's a thread on the pfsense forum that he started concerning the Rogers IPV6 settings:

https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=119944.0

JKnott

@Datalink wrote:

@JKnott could probably answer this for you.  Here's a thread on the pfsense forum that he started concerning the Rogers IPV6 settings:

https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=119944.0

That's old info.  You can now choose any prefix between /64 and /56.  However, I believe you only get a /64 if you use the Rogers modem in gateway mode.  This means you'll need a separate router to get a prefix other than /64.  Of course, the router has to be able to use DHCPv6-PD to the the IPv6 prefixes.