cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers IPv6 Status

foodgodessto
I've been here awhile

Hello,

I'm wondering what the current IPv6 status is within Rogers.  A search on the forums only shows 10 topics over the past year that even mention IPv6, and there doesn't appear to be any official communications from Rogers since IPv6 day last year.

I know that Rogers (supposedly) supports IPv6 tunneling (although the only person to ask about it did not get any responses).

602 REPLIES 602

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status

busterb
I plan to stick around

@JKnott wrote:

I didn't experience that.  I found a speed test site that showed similar performance to speedtest on IPv6.  It was a bit slower, but not a lot, as to be expected with 1280 byte MTU,  What tunnel provider were you using?  I was with gogonet/freenet6.

You're lucky if you haven't. Hurricane Electric. The provider didn't matter.

JKnott
I'm a reliable contributor

Hi RogersDave

I've verified that my IPv6 prefix changes, sometimes on it's own and sometimes when I disconnect/reconnect the modem from my firewall.  I thought the DUID was supposed to ensure a consistent prefix.

I'm running pfSense for my router/firewall.

fishon
I plan to stick around

Excuse my limited knowledge of this subject.  If I go to network properties and uncheck TCP/IPv6 I am able to access IPv6 sites.  I used test-ipv6.com.  It says I am using Teredo, which I gather is a "tunnel" for carrying ipv6 over or in ipv4.  If I check TCP/IPv6, I cannot access IPv6 sites.  This seems backwards in my mind?  Also, the test site says your DNS server appears to have IPv6 internet access.  Just curious to know what I am missing here.  Can I run a "pure" IPv6 connection?  Whether  I enable or disable  TCP/IPv6, Ethernet Status still reports ... IPv6 connectivity:  No Network Access.  Curiousity is killing me 😉

Rogers CGN3ACR

JKnott

If you're using Teredo, you're not using IPv6 from Rogers.  You're using a tunnel, which encapsulates IPv6 in an IPv4 packet to the Teredo server.  One thing you can do is check your IPv4 address.  When I got IPv6 my IPv4 address changed to a different subnet..  As for checking IPv6, I suspec it's trying to use native IPv6, apparently unavailable,  instead of the Teredo tunnel.  You also need to have the correct modem.  Many will not work with IPv6.

I'm going to assume that you have IPV6 checked as available in the adapter properties and that you have completed a reboot if you needed to select IPV6 for use.  

1.  Can you have a look at the back of the modem for the product sticker and let us know what version of modem you have:  CGN3, CGN3ACR, CGN3AMR, CGN3ACSMR, or CGNM-3552. 

2.  Please log into the modem and check the Software Version (firmware) that is loaded, as indicated on the Status page that comes up when you log into the modem.  Note for the CGN3ACSMR, Firmware Version 4.5.8.22 is now being distributed across the network.  

If you have 4.5.8.21 or 4.5.8.22 loaded, you should have done a factory reset to ensure that IPV6 works properly and that your download rates are what they should be.  If a factory reset is not done, you can still show an IPV6 address in the WAN Address space on the STATUS page, but, IPV6 will not work properly.  

After running a factory reset, if you log into the modem once again, the WAN Address in the upper right hand corner should show an IPV4 address, in the form 192.168.100.001, and, an IPV6 address in the form 2001:0db8:85a3:0000:0000:8a2e:0370:7334.

After you see that, run a test at ipv6-test.com.  You should end up with a result of 19/20.  The missing element should be the IPV6 hostname which Rogers is not supplying.  If you end up with something less, such as a missing IPV6 ICMP element, refresh the page.  Do that more than a couple of times to ensure that the results are consistent.  I've found inconsistent results from that site in the past, so I always run it a few times.

If you find that you definitely have a problem with IPV6 ICMP, there will probably be a couple of reasons.  The Windows firewall and perhaps your antivirus firewall may require an exception to allow IPV6 ICMP.  Do this only for IPV6 ICMP as IPV6 requires ICMP in order to function correctly.  Don't do this for IPV4.  If you find that you have to make any additions to the firewall rules, reboot the pc and then run the ipv6-test.com tests again to confirm that IPV6 ICMP is functioning.  

The other reason is that you might be running a Netgear router.  If so, Netgear apparently filters IPV6 ICMP and has not indicated a willingness to change that policy.  So, that is something to keep in mind.  

Please let us know the answers for 1 & 2 above and we'll go from there. 

@JKnott, native IPV6 is up and running on the network.  The router would have to be set to use it.  

fishon
I plan to stick around

It's a CGN3ACR.  The firmware is only 4.2.8.12

Is that the issue?

Thanks so much for your detailed response!

The CGN3ACR requires a firmware update to operate IPV6 in Gateway mode.  At the present time its not scheduled to receive an update, however, testing underway now to resolve the Puma 6 chipset high ping issue will trickle down to modems other than the CGN3ACSMR and CGNM-3552.  That will include IPV6 cabability in Gateway mode.  

It will run IPV6 in Bridge mode.  In that mode you would have an IPV6 capable router behind the modem, running your network.

You can request the latest trial version which will resolve the IPV6 problem for you.  

Have a look at message # 471 (top post) on the following page for instructions on requesting the trial version, 4.5.8.22.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/348...

When you are sending the private message as indicated in that post, also log into your modem and copy the HFC MAC address and modem Serial number and paste that into the message. The HFC MAC Address and modem Serial Number can be found on the STATUS page that is displayed when you log into the modem. The Cable Modem MAC Address and S/N can also be found on the back of the modem.

This will put your modem on the trials modem list which will receive future trial updates without further requests.

Or... you could probably swap the modem for a CGN3ACSMR.  That will do the same after its update is loaded.  

fishon
I plan to stick around

Thanks!!!  I went and switched my CGN3ACR for the CGNM-3552, and voila, native IPv6 right out of the box!!!  Scored 19/20 at ipv6-test.com and 10/10 at test-ipv6.com.  Couldn't be more pleased!

Thanks all, especially RE-Datalink for the thorough responses!!!

@fishon, have a look at the Software Version (Firmware) that is listed on the STATUS page when you log into the modem.  Most likely its 4.5.8.19.  If so, you should request V4.5.8.22 as it will resolve the problem of dead LAN ports that can occur when the modem is connected to a Casa Systems CMTS, and it will resolve connections problems with Chromecast devices as well.  At some point in the near future I expect to see 4.5.8.22 distributed to the CGNM-3552s across the network.  In the mean time, to avoid the dead LAN port issue, you should request the update.  

Community,

I wanted to provide a quick update on Rogers' IPv6 status. We have made a lot of progress in the last 2 weeks and are still working on more.

Some updates on the milestones I previously provided:

1. Dual-Stack on cellular: Enabled on 3G/LTE network from BC to Manitoba. Ontario, Québec and Atlantic coming soon.
  2. IPv6 enablement on all supported cable modems (currently a one-time factory reset is needed, this would enable all remaining devices): CGN3ACSMR modems are now enabled by default and doesn't require a factory reset anymore. Other modems will follow suit by the end of the year.
  3. IPv6-only (using 464XLAT translation for IPv4 service) on certain mobile devices: More to come on this once dual-stack is fully deployed across the country.
  4. Larger prefix delegation for cable modems (up to /56): Currently testing solution in lab.

As per the statistics published by APNIC, our IPv6 deployment now reaches about 45% of our Rogers Ignite subscribers. This number increased significantly in the last two weeks with the enablement of IPv6 on CGN3ACSMR modem.

Full APNIC statistics are available at IPv6 Per-Country Deployment for AS812: ROGERS-CABLE

busterb
I plan to stick around

@RogersDave wrote:

Community,

I wanted to provide a quick update on Rogers' IPv6 status. We have made a lot of progress in the last 2 weeks and are still working on more.

Some updates on the milestones I previously provided:

1. Dual-Stack on cellular: Enabled on 3G/LTE network from BC to Manitoba. Ontario, Québec and Atlantic coming soon.
  2. IPv6 enablement on all supported cable modems (currently a one-time factory reset is needed, this would enable all remaining devices): CGN3ACSMR modems are now enabled by default and doesn't require a factory reset anymore. Other modems will follow suit by the end of the year.
  3. IPv6-only (using 464XLAT translation for IPv4 service) on certain mobile devices: More to come on this once dual-stack is fully deployed across the country.
  4. Larger prefix delegation for cable modems (up to /56): Currently testing solution in lab.

As per the statistics published by APNIC, our IPv6 deployment now reaches about 45% of our Rogers Ignite subscribers. This number increased significantly in the last two weeks with the enablement of IPv6 on CGN3ACSMR modem.

Full APNIC statistics are available at IPv6 Per-Country Deployment for AS812: ROGERS-CABLE

I'm glad to see the wireless (3G/LTE) network being v6 enabled and the SMR gateways being v6 enabled by default (sans factory reset). The /56 allocation for PD was a big omission from the rollout of v6 and needs to be rushed, that's a requirement for a good chunk of the userbase to use the service. Are the CGN3AC gateways going to be v6 enabled by default? That should be possible at some point. Thank you for the work so far.

@busterb wrote:
I'm glad to see the wireless (3G/LTE) network being v6 enabled and the SMR gateways being v6 enabled by default (sans factory reset). The /56 allocation for PD was a big omission from the rollout of v6 and needs to be rushed, that's a requirement for a good chunk of the userbase to use the service. Are the CGN3AC gateways going to be v6 enabled by default? That should be possible at some point. Thank you for the work so far.

Before deploying a /56, we had to ensure that our IPv6 deployment was complete and stable. We have to ensure that it won't break anything in production and therefore are required to perform some testing in lab first.

In order to release /56 initially, we would have had to delay the launch of IPv6 by a few months. Most of our users are happy with a /64 which is why this decision was made. Rest assured however that we are working on deploying /56. In the meantime, although this is not officially supported, our DHCPv6 server allows for multiple /64 to be delegated.

With regards to enabling more gateways by default, it requires to gateways to be at a minimum firmware level of 4.5.8.21. We need to have most gateways for a particular model to be at that level before we enable by default. As firmwares are upgraded, more models will be added. In most cases however, a factory reset is sufficient for a user to enable IPv6 on their own gateway.

busterb
I plan to stick around

@RogersDave wrote:

@busterb wrote:

Before deploying a /56, we had to ensure that our IPv6 deployment was complete and stable. We have to ensure that it won't break anything in production and therefore are required to perform some testing in lab first.

In order to release /56 initially, we would have had to delay the launch of IPv6 by a few months. Most of our users are happy with a /64 which is why this decision was made. Rest assured however that we are working on deploying /56. In the meantime, although this is not officially supported, our DHCPv6 server allows for multiple /64 to be delegated.

With regards to enabling more gateways by default, it requires to gateways to be at a minimum firmware level of 4.5.8.21. We need to have most gateways for a particular model to be at that level before we enable by default. As firmwares are upgraded, more models will be added. In most cases however, a factory reset is sufficient for a user to enable IPv6 on their own gateway.

The testing should have already happened by now. It shows a lack of foresight. Its common sense this would be necessary.

I would surely hope so as this is a requirement. I'm aware of that as has been pointed out a in a few different places. I'm not really interested in going the hack route. I'll wait for things to be done properly.

As seen elsewhere in the forum I see the CGN3AC's are undergoing some level of firmware testing though it doesn't seem to be the same level as the SMR's and the -3552. I take it the AC's haven't been updated to .21 yet? I don't care about the factory reset. It's sans reset enabled by default that is more important for end users.

JKnott

It appears I'm now getting IPv6 on my phone, but not yet with tethering.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

Where are you located?

JKnott

I'm in Mississauga.  I've had IPv6 on my cable modem for a few months as well.

Hi @RogersDave I see that I get IPv6 is on my phone but I have a computer with a modem in it that uses PPP to connect over LTE. The computer only get an IPv4 address and no IPv6.

Is it currently not supported yet for PPP? Is it still being worked on?

Thanks

JKnott

Where does PPP fit in?  I tether via WiFi, just as I would from any other hot spot.

@JKnott my laptop network manager use PPP to connect to the data network using its internal LTE modem.

Connection would show up like:

ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol  
          inet addr:25.17.120.5  P-t-P:10.64.64.64  Mask:255.255.255.255
          UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:268 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:305 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:3 
          RX bytes:54421 (53.1 KiB)  TX bytes:47838 (46.7 KiB)

@HeavyMetal

We have launched dual-stack support on all three consumer APNs (ltemobile.apn, lteinternet.apn and ltedata.apn) from BC to central Ontario at this point.

The problem in your case is likely support from the LTE modem vendor. We have seen a very limited number of LTE modems capable of supporting IPv6 at this point and this is likely your issue.

Can you provide me the model number of your modem and I can see if I have any information regarding that device.

Dave