cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers IPv6 Status

foodgodessto
I've been here awhile

Hello,

I'm wondering what the current IPv6 status is within Rogers.  A search on the forums only shows 10 topics over the past year that even mention IPv6, and there doesn't appear to be any official communications from Rogers since IPv6 day last year.

I know that Rogers (supposedly) supports IPv6 tunneling (although the only person to ask about it did not get any responses).

602 REPLIES 602

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status

Thanks for your comments timlocke.

At the moment, the deployment is limited to a /64 PD. In the future, we are looking at other options to provide more flexibility to our customers.

@gp-se wrote:

I've been watching the thread on DSL Reports, and see that most areas have been upgraded to IPv6. However I noticed everyone who has IPv6 has their modem in bridge mode and is running a 3rd party router. I have the CGN3ACSMR and my computer is not picking up an IPv6 address. Will Rogers release a firmware update that allows the CGN3ACSMR to use IPv6 now that the network has been upgraded?

The CGN3ACSMR like all Hitron modems is compatible with IPv6 in both bridge and eRouter mode. In order to use it with IPv6 in eRouter mode without a 3rd party external router, it first requires a factory reset (through the GUI). Your wireless network, security settings and other parameters will need to be reconfigured after.

If your area has been enabled for IPv6, this should be sufficient for your computer to then gain access to IPv6.

timlocke
I plan to stick around

I thought that would be the case for the CGN3 range.   Out of curiosity I looked at the Hitron website when I first got a CGN3 and it said that the device could do V6.   I presumed that Rogers had disabled that as there was no V6 on offer at that time  and didn't worry about it.

I'll keep mine in bridge mode with my own dlink until Gigabit comes to my area and then see what to do. ( My dlink router can do gigabit at the LAN side but I bet it can't do it at the WAN side reliably!

@timlocke wrote:

I'll keep mine in bridge mode with my own dlink until Gigabit comes to my area and then see what to do. ( My dlink router can do gigabit at the LAN side but I bet it can't do it at the WAN side reliably! 

You are right. Most consumer routers, except the higher end models, are unable to sustain gigabit speeds from WAN to LAN. This is especially true when software processing is required (to perform IPv4 NAT or port forwarding for example).

Native IPV6 is up and running in West Ottawa today (Wed 20 Apr 2016).

Interestingly, OpenDNS does not offer the same protections on IPV6 as it does with IPV4.  From the OpenDNS site:

Note: IPv6 support in the OpenDNS Sandbox is limited to standard recursive DNS initially. Additional functionality, like Web content filtering, malware and botnet protection, phishing protection, and more will be available on different IPs when IPv6 support is added to the OpenDNS Dashboard. We have no plan to ever shut down or change the default features for the sandbox IPs.

The OpenDNS Dashboard does not have any indication of IPV6 capability, so, at the present time, if you prefer to use OpenDNS for its DNS resolving speed as well as for Web content filtering, malware and botnet protection, phishing protection, you will need to keep using IPV4.  

gcerullo
I plan to stick around

Will people with the Cisco DPC3825 in bridge mode and using their own routers be able to receive an IPv6 prefix or will they need to trade it in for a Hitron Router?

@gcerullo wrote:

Will people with the Cisco DPC3825 in bridge mode and using their own routers be able to receive an IPv6 prefix or will they need to trade it in for a Hitron Router?

As far as I'm aware, no the Cisco DPC3825 is not and will not be supported for IPv6.

timlocke
I plan to stick around

Obviously you won't support  the DPC3825  but why would it not just work as a modem in bridge  mode for IPV6. Won't be examining any packets and I would think would not care about their length or anything else.    

Just to add this, there is no mention of IPV6 on the 3825 datasheet.  The question of whether or not the 3825

will support IPV6 when its running in Bridge mode is an interesting question however.  Does the modem have

to necessarily support IPV6 for its own operation when all its doing is passing the data packets on to an IPV6

capable device?

gcerullo
I plan to stick around
Interesting question indeed! Can you find out if this is possible or not in bridged mode?

timlocke
I plan to stick around

So.  Are these gateway devices  modems when in bridge mode?   That is, once they have established a connection do they do anything more than just pass a bitstream.  Put another way, are they just an OSI physical layer 1 device or do they include layer 2.      This   en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS   seems to say that the modem does embody layers 1 and 2    and this 

• The 'DOCSIS 2.0 + IPv6' specification allowed support for IPv6 on DOCSIS 2.0 modems via a firmware upgrade. "
  • DOCSIS 3.0 added management over IPv6

suggests that theye is more stuff going on.  Anyway if DaveM says the DPC3825 won't support IPV6 then we must assume it won't.

It has been a long time since I have looked up this stuff!

gcerullo
I plan to stick around

Personally speaking, unless someone owns the old Cisco router, this should be a moot point since customers should be able to trade-in the old Cisco for a newer Hitron.

I was merely asking for people who may still have the old Cisco routers and are wondering why they may not be getting a IPv6 prefix.

There are effectively requirements on both the Cable Modem and the Gateway to support IPv6.

Since the DPC3825 has not undergone the required certification, it won't be support IPv6.

I am not privy of the rules for exchanging modems (this is not a technical question) but I don't see this being an issue.

gcerullo
I plan to stick around

@davem wrote:

I am not privy of the rules for exchanging modems (this is not a technical question) but I don't see this being an issue.

I agree. Since Rogers has the intention of supporting IPv6 then they will be required to supply modem/routers that are compatible with the new portocol. As such I don't think they will refuse to exchange a modem/router that is not compliant for any customer that requests one.

timlocke
I plan to stick around

OK. So here are a couple of questions.

Are there Rogers areas that will not get IPV6 for a while? Because of older equipment for instance?

After the roll out is done  If someone exchanges their 3825 or a dead CGN3 for a fresh new CGN3ACMR  will that gateway be setup so that  V6 will just work? or will it still need the factory reset.  I can see arguments for either case....because If a Windows machine sees an IPV6 RA packet from the network it will ( usually for W7 and up) start to "prefer" to use IPV6

Are your front lines CSRs getting training...there will be some customers who see an IPV6 address somehow and phone in.     

The rollout should be on the entire footprint. I just can't speak of schedule at this point but I don't see this being too long.

All gateways are factory reset during refurbishment and therefore are enabled out of the box.

kr6
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

@RogersDave any insight on whether the Fido CGN3AMR has been certified for V6? There is still no V6 on the Fido network (I check daily), however wanted to know if roll out will happen soon after Rogers. Or we have to wait for the long haul if certification has not completed.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

Any idea when Richmond Hill will get ipv6? I factory reset my CGN3ACSMR today and still no ipv6

I use my CGN3ACSMR in Gateway mode and don't have a third party router.

Our teams are working around the clock on this deployment. I can't provide an exact schedule but stay tuned it should be there shortly.

up-n-atom
I've been here awhile

/64 is an Ok start, I'll be looking forward to the day where for me personally I can get atleast /60. As of now I operate with a modest 3 subnets: LAN, WIFI, and DMZ. Using the /64 for LAN as it gets the most use for v6.

@up-n-atom wrote:

/64 is an Ok start, I'll be looking forward to the day where for me personally I can get atleast /60. As of now I operate with a modest 3 subnets: LAN, WIFI, and DMZ. Using the /64 for LAN as it gets the most use for v6.

How have you been finding a separate wifi subnet? I tried doing it years ago... and gave up because it broke essentially all 'consumer' broadcast-based protocols...