cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers IPv6 Status

foodgodessto
I've been here awhile

Hello,

I'm wondering what the current IPv6 status is within Rogers.  A search on the forums only shows 10 topics over the past year that even mention IPv6, and there doesn't appear to be any official communications from Rogers since IPv6 day last year.

I know that Rogers (supposedly) supports IPv6 tunneling (although the only person to ask about it did not get any responses).

602 REPLIES 602

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status

So I guess it dosent make sense to buy a router that supports ipv6 its just a waste. 

I suspect that all routers support IPV6 at the present time.  The problem is that Rogers does not fully support IPV6.  So, with a little investigation and effort, you could get some version of IPV6 up and running, the question is, is that the version that you want or need?  Hopefully others can chime in here and provide some advice.

timlocke
I plan to stick around

Rogers have unsupported 6RD which works well and is reliably.  They don't support native IPV6 and there is just no news about it...which surprises me and I would think that most of their head end gear probably has IPV6 available by now and the 3825 and the Hitron both claim to be able to support it if Rogers allows it.

So 6rd, tunneling via Hurricane or GOGO are the options.

I wish there was a way to get Rogers to make a statement on what they are going to do.   The worrying thing is that they might go for Carrier Grade NAT on IPV4 which I believe causes some applications to stop working.   I wonder what will happen when they run out of their hoard of IPV4 addresses?

At the moment   all the Google websites including Youtube support V6 as well as V4 as does Wikipedia...many others of course as well.

Okay so now my Xbox one supports ipv6 and so does my router but I disabled it now will I have any problems..I read online some people having problems with ipv6 enabled when gaming with the one they experiences lag/ disconnected issues but then there are others who have good game experiences when gaming online with ipv6 especially with p2p games. 

Its hard to say and may vary from one thing to another.

But i have run into that at work before too, on PCs.

Where there is a machine having some lag/connection issues.. hickups, etc.

Disabling IPv6 on the unit.. it seems to stop.

I think its TRYING To connect via it.. failing.. but it ends up taking up resources, or something.

Yea but there in no way on disabling ipv6 on the Xbox one only on the router. Why is Rogers so behind on things why don't they support a native ipv6 

Many people have asked those same questions, a long time ago it seems.  And yet, here we still are, with no answers and with no roadmap detailing the IPV6 implementation.  Kinda similar to the Nextbox fiasco, no answers and no roadmap.

timlocke
I plan to stick around

@Datalink     I have a feeling that the Rogers people/employees on the forum are either:

Just as much in the dark about Rogers plans as we are.

OR 

have been instructed not to say anything.  

Maybe there is a beta test going on with   Rogers employees.

Perhaps there are plans with the 1GB internet rollout.

My Hitron gateway may suddenly support IPV6 if I switched it out of bridge mode...it didn't before, in fact the IPV6 set up stuff that Hitron said it had was just not visible so I couldn't even use 6RD until I bridged and used my own router.

Perhaps the fact that Telus is rolling out IPV6 to its internet customers will provoke Rogers.  Who knows.

lethalsniper
I'm an enthusiast
What the big hype about ipv6 what will we benefit , so if I have the CGN3 I won't be getting ipv6?

Looks that way, at least until the CGN3 undergoes another update.  

Benefits, others can chime in here.  No Network Address Translation by the router.  So, should see some speed benefit I would think.  Other benifits, have a look at the following link, although I think that most will be transparent to the average user:

http://www.ipv6now.com.au/whyipv6.php

timlocke
I plan to stick around

Sometimes the delays would be caused by the PC getting a AAAA ( IPV6) result from a DNS call  and then timing out for some seconds before trying again and getting an AA record which is the standard IPV4 which of course works.

DKnoll
I've been around

Any update on the status of native IPv6 on Rogers? It's 2016, you've had a long time.

Looks like progress is being made, slowly......  Users on the DSLReports forum are reporting Native IPV6 available and working in some areas of Toronto.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30687933-Internet-Rogers-IPv6-appears-to-be-rolling-out

Checked in Stittsville (West Ottawa) this morning.  No IPV6 available.

timlocke
I plan to stick around

I am living ok with Rogers 6RD. in Guelph. I could try to plug my spare router ( which can do V6) into the cable moden ( I have a CGN3 in bridge mode  )and see if I get a prefix.  I would hope that there would be an announcement perhaps area by area as it happens. 

Slightly off topic, I am hopin g for an announcement that the Gigabit service will arrive on schedule....sometime in 2016.  

You might have to restart the modem after you plug in the other router.  That is in the case where you have two routers plugged into the modem, with the modem running in bridge mode.  Both routers should end up with IP addresses after the restart.  Now the question is whether or not native IPV6 was enabled in your area.  I haven't seen any announcement from Rogers, anywhere, indicating that IPV6 was finally being enabled.

hughjack
I've been here awhile

Being following the progress of this thread for past 2 years now and want to give a bit of an update. Native Rogers IPV6 works from what I  tested under the following conditions. 

1. CGN3 a.k.a Advance WiFi Modem running in bridge mode
  2. Tested with a pfsense router setup with IPV6 enabled on WAN /w track interface on LAN
  3. Tested at ipv6-test.com with a score of 20, and speed of 80Mbps for IPV6.
  4. Ping tested google.com IPV6 returned with 0% lost of packets

I notice most are still running in tunnel mode and are getting speed of 25Mbps. With the setup I discribe above, this may work better for you.

timlocke
I plan to stick around

Saw your note today and immediately tried it.  I am in Guelph.    Lo and Behold a real IPV6 address, two IPV6 DNS.

I tried IPV6-test and only got a score of 17.    No IPV6 hostname  and ICMP filtered.

Thank you Rogers.   ( Although you might have left a message on this forum to say when it was coming.)

hughjack
I've been here awhile

That is awesome, timlocke. How is the speed? As for the ICM and HOSTNAME issue, you'll have to set rules in the firewall and dns for those, which will resolve the filter and hostname issue. I don't recall the exact settings you need as I've already taken down the test lab. However, it should be allowing icm on both ipv4 and ipv6 through the WAN for the LAN or ANY (preferably ANY). A single rule for both can be set in this instance.

I've been watching the thread on DSL Reports, and see that most areas have been upgraded to IPv6. However I noticed everyone who has IPv6 has their modem in bridge mode and is running a 3rd party router. I have the CGN3ACSMR and my computer is not picking up an IPv6 address. Will Rogers release a firmware update that allows the CGN3ACSMR to use IPv6 now that the network has been upgraded?

timlocke
I plan to stick around

When the CGN3 came out I went to Hitron's website and they said that the CGN3 was IPV6 capable so I have presumed that Rogers just turned off or made invisible the IPV6 settings.    I don't know.     The reason I have/had my CGN3 in bridge mode was because I wished to use the 6RD that Rogers has had for 2 or 3 years now and that did   not work behind the CGN3 in gateway mode.

timlocke
I plan to stick around

So here is a question for Rogers.      You are providing a /64 delegated prefix.    For me and probably most other people this is fine  but should you not be upgrading us to a /56 so that those who wish may have subnets.   As I understand the strict use of IPV6 that even if one just wants a guest subnet or a DMZ they should be actual subnets.