cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Unable to Enable Wifi Calling

AnonymousUser
I'm a trusted contributor

I ported to Rogers yesterday with my iPhone 13 Pro (purchased directly from Apple) and I'm unable to enable Wifi calling. When I turn it on via the Phone settings menu, I get a message to contact Rogers to enable wifi calling on this account. I've done so, they've opened up a ticket, but closed it citing they can't find any problems.

It's clearly an issue on the Rogers side as when I pop in my work SIM from another carrier, I can enable and use wifi calling without any problems.

If I use my Rogers SIM in my Pixel 6, I am also unable to enable wifi calling (spinner until it times out).

Since Rogers tech support has given up, wondering if someone from Rogers here can step in and help escalate this issue for me as at this point, I have little reason to remain with Rogers as wifi calling is important to my needs.

**Labels Added**

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Rogers Unable to Enable Wifi Calling

AnonymousUser
Thanks, but I solved the issue yesterday by doing a SIM swap. Rogers support and engineering kept saying it’s my phone but I disproved that theory by using a family member’s Rogers SIM in my phone and was able to enable and use wifi calling. So I went to a Rogers store and got a new SIM which immediately solved the issue.

View solution in original post

50 REPLIES 50

RogersMaude

Good day @AnonymousUser,

We're sorry you’ve been having a hard time getting the help you need to resolve the WiFi calling issue you're experiencing with your new iPhone. If you'd like us to assist with this matter, you can reach out to us via private message and we can surely escalate the tickets that may have been created on your account.

For further assistance and in order to discuss your account details, please send a private message to @CommunityHelps. If you're not familiar with this process, have a look at this blog.

Thanks!

RogersMaude

AnonymousUser
Thanks, but I solved the issue yesterday by doing a SIM swap. Rogers support and engineering kept saying it’s my phone but I disproved that theory by using a family member’s Rogers SIM in my phone and was able to enable and use wifi calling. So I went to a Rogers store and got a new SIM which immediately solved the issue.

garysinclair1
I'm here a lot

I have the same issue. Rogers simply says if you did not purchase the phone through us wifi calling willl not work.

is it they have embedded some sort of software in those rogers phones? If so why not simply send us the software to be installed

great stuff, i will go to a rogers store and see what i can get from them

Astansell
I'm here a lot
I am currently having similar issues. I just moved 3 phones over from Shaw and Freedom mobile due to this business merger.
My Note 10+ has worked with wifi calling on 2 previous carriers and when I moved over to Rogers it stopped.
I have put in tickets with help desk but as the other person noted the tickets were closed and they stated there was nothing wrong.
I rely heavily on wifi calling and if this can't get resolved then I need to reconsider moving my devices to Rogers. Can anyone help resolve this?
The solution of trying a New Simm card has not been tried yet. I may try this when I get out of my camp work rotation.

EhmTeeEhf
I'm a reliable contributor

Did you switch your APN settings to support the Rogers network settings? Just wondering. It would be strange that all of a sudden it stops working.

EhmTeeEhf

Hmm this seems like an active device issue. I know when you switch from the main phone on your account and you add another different type of phone, the network can sometimes have issues. Remember iPhones use APN's they are just hidden on the device. BUT when you add an android phone, sometimes the default APN settings may not allow access to the wifi calling provisioning. I would confirm the device IMEI and then worst case senario call in and have this device added to your equipment list. However I don't believe in this day and age you have to do that. Just look here on the community forums for the latest apn settings for your android and make sure they are correct. 

EhmTeeEhf

This is weird. A sim card should not stop you from accessing Wifi Calling. The only recommendation for Wifi Calling is you go through the wifi calling settings on the device and complete the mandatory setup which tells the network which device you have and confirms your phone actually supports it. I believe most devices support it and a sim is just like a key to get into the network. It should not stop you from accessing wifi calling, unless you have a device that doesn't support the Rogers version of LTE. Even then you should be able to get it to work if you are using the correct settings.

For clarity I am using a T mobile Samsung Note 10 plus phone that has previously been connected to Shaw mobility and Freedom mobile. Wifi calling worked flawlessly until I switched to Rogers. I have not had wifi calling work at all since switching

Your response might be on to something but I have contacted Rogers support multiple times by phone and they have not been able to help with this.
My son's iPhone 11 is the primary phone on the account I think and it was not allowing wifi calling to be turned on
My daughter's iPhone 13 seemed to turn on ok and we put it in airplane mode then turned on wifi and tested it by making a call and that seemed to work
My phone is the Samsung Note 10 plus and it just keeps says that wifi calling is not supported for this device when I try turn it on.
Your option to make sure that all the devices are listed as active is valid but I don't know how to get this done even.

I understand that I am bringing in non rogers phones but this should have been known and sorted out before Rogers stopped offering new phone plans under the Shaw mobility accounts. It seems to have been overlooked in the merger. There is going to be a lot of Shaw customers forced to bring their non Rogers phones over that will need wifi calling. Seems like I should have stayed with Shaw and Freedom the way I had it set up. This is causing me nothing but grief and now I can't revert back.

Greetings @Astansell

Thanks for contributing to this thread! 🙌 We're elated to have you on board with us and we're saddened to hear what has transpired as this is most definitely not the type of experience we want you to be having. 

As a consumer myself, I can appreciate the cause for concern and the inconvenience this has caused. I completely understand how frustrating this can be. Regrettably, we're unable to make any gurantees when it comes to non-Rogers phones functioning on our network. 

We appreciate the feedback and will ensure we get this information to the appropriate channel. 

RogersJo

Major update.
I tried enabling WiFi Calling again but this time with Roaming turned on. This seems to have worked.
I now have WiFi Calling enabled on my T mobile Samsung Note 10 plus phone that is hooked up to the Rogers network.
Is this a known thing that Roaming needs to be enabled to get WiFi Calling to work or have I just stumbled onto something?

Islandguy1
I've been around
I stumbled on this Rogers thread. I recently did the Shaw to Rogers transfer and went threw several tech support agents. I switched SIM cards today and worked perfectly getting wifi calling to work. I hope Rogers reps can learn and look at there knowledge base on a fix.

quantumauto1
I've been here awhile

This issue does seem to be related to the SIM and the non-Rogers phone. I was told my Verizon phone, which I had working with Shaw wifi calling, just would not work with Rogers wifi calling. I was told I would have to buy a Rogers phone. I saw that a few others fixed this by changing SIM cards. What I found worked was to take the SIM card out and put it in an older Rogers phone and then enroll in wifi calling. Then I put the SIM back in the Verizon phone and wifi calling worked on it too. So it seems like once the SIM is enrolled you are good to go.

Hmm
I'm an enthusiast

@Islandguy1 

Provisioning of Wi-Fi calling is YMMV. It's more likely to be a major issue if you're using an Android instead of iPhone. 

I suggest enabling Airplane mode and turn on Wi-Fi. If Rogers Wi-Fi calling appears on the top of your screen near your bezel, then it's working. 

Hmm
I'm an enthusiast

@quantumauto1 

Wow. The use of gaslighting and misinformation in this situation is rather intriguing.

Regarding the statement:

@quantumauto1 wrote:

This issue does seem to be related to the SIM and the non-Rogers phone. I was told my Verizon phone, which I had working with Shaw wifi calling, just would not work with Rogers wifi calling. I was told I would have to buy a Rogers phone. I saw that a few others fixed this by changing SIM cards. What I found worked was to take the SIM card out and put it in an older Rogers phone and then enroll in wifi calling. Then I put the SIM back in the Verizon phone and wifi calling worked on it too. So it seems like once the SIM is enrolled you are good to go.

In Canada and internationally, there is no longer such a thing as a carrier-locked or "Rogers" phone. However, in the USA, that's a different matter. 

Regarding physical SIMs, they are being phased out and replaced by eSIMs. New iPhones in the USA do not have a physical SIM slot.

Once you're enrolled in Wi-Fi calling (your IMEI is whitelisted) everything is fine. You need to use your account carrier (Rogers). Other times, like @Astansell experienced, Wi-Fi will work based on the SIM card alone. 

You can't swap your SIM and expect Wi-Fi calling on another provider's (Wi-Fi calling) cellular network. I don't understand when you wrote that you had to enroll in Wi-Fi calling. 

For Wi-Fi calling to function, you must use your provider's eSIM or physical SIM on a VoLTE/Wi-Fi calling capable device. It's unfortunate that there seems to be a lack of understanding around Wi-Fi calling in some posts. Until a few years ago,. many thought Wi-Fi calling was Skype or WhatApp, just to name a few..

Rogers is the world leader in having customer issues with Wi-Fi calling. They are in constant denial and gaslighting their customers regarding this matter (and others too).

Just today it took several minutes for Wi-Fi calling to engage at my residence. With Telus, Bell. Freedom/Shaw it always takes less than two seconds (consistently). This has been a chronic problem with Rogers since it was implemented, something like 10 years ago.

And no, I haven't bought a carrier locked or non-provider device since it was barred by the CRTC. 

I'm not about to try educate people on what Wi-Fi calling is and how it works. For that, you can ask your friend, Google. 

One thing I will emphasize is people need start thinking critically and analytically. Anytime someone says you need a carrier's device, they're feeding you rotten baloney. 

quantumauto1
I've been here awhile

In my scenario none of the phones were carrier locked. The Verizon phone was purchased at Walmart.ca as an unlocked phone. Otherwise it would not even work with Rogers or Shaw. However, carriers can have custom Android firmware and applications even though the device is unlocked.  Even though the phone is unlocked and can be used with any carrier, the splash screen says "Welcome to Verizon" and there is custom Verizon software. Rogers has some issue with this in their Wifi calling registration process with phones not purchased from Rogers. The agent even added my IMEI number manually and it still did not work. After several attempts, they told me nothing was going to work. That is when I tried putting the SIM in a phone that was purchased from Rogers and after a few tries I got the Wi-Fi Calling to register and was able to put that SIM back in the Verizon phone and simply enable Wi-Fi calling on that phone. Hopefully this helps others that are struggling with enabling Wi-Fi calling on (unlocked) non Rogers devices that are migrating from Shaw (or other carriers) to Rogers..

garysinclair1
I'm here a lot
Thanks for the info, however I do not have any other rogers phones to try

ScubadooX
I plan to stick around

Rogers has a very quirky Wi-Fi Calling system and it is definitely tied to their SIMs. When I migrated two lines from Shaw to Rogers, I inserted the new Rogers SIMs into a Google Pixel 4 and 7 (both factory unlocked). The Pixel 4 had no problems with WFC. To get the Pixel 7 WFC enabled, I had to move the SIM to a Samsung S10+ that I had used previously with Shaw, which was WFC-enabled. It worked with no issues. Then I moved the SIM back to the Pixel 7 and got WFC to work.

More recently, I had removed the SIM from my Pixel 4 to test another phone. I've done that couple of times and was always able to get WFC working again in the Pixel 4 after moving the SIM back, sometimes with a bit of fiddling. This past Sunday, though, I hit a wall and contacted Rogers. After trying a few things, their last words were that the Pixel 4 isn't supported and WFC might never work again in that phone. They even said my suggestion to get a new SIM would not work. Well, I had a strong suspicion they were wrong. So, I moved the SIM to my S10+ and tried to enable WFC. This time I couldn't get it to work even after changing the CSC codes to RWC, maybe because I had factory reset the phone in anticipation of trading it in. However, I had a hunch that the SIM might now work in the Pixel 4. And it did. So, I will not be removing the SIMs from my Pixel 4 and 7 again.

My experience with Rogers so far is that they have an enigma Wi-Fi Calling system that their tech support team doesn't understand very well.

Topic Stats
  • 50 replies
  • 18 Likes
  • 15 in conversation