cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email to SMS service discontinued.

notdavis
I plan to stick around

I found out this morning that Email to SMS has been discontinued as a service.  I found this out because I never received an emergency text message. 

Rogers never notified me/did notify me on a bill (I looked at my bills)/didn't notify me because I wasn't "subscribed" to this service (I've been using since the 2000s). The supervisor and business support don't have any replacement solutions.

What does Rogers do to wake up their employees when the network breaks in the middle of the night? Or do they just plan it for the day, and reaching everyone fails because the network is down and thats why it takes so long to fix it? 

Other than switching to Bell or Telus, what are other solutions, 3rd party email to SMS providers? 

***Added Labels***

48 REPLIES 48

Re: Email to SMS service discontinued.

Martin_S
I've been here awhile

Same here. I missed two emergency messages (I am a search and rescue volunteer): one yesterday and one today. Is it because the service is discontinued or because there are filters that  block the messages? If it's the latter, is it possible to have a white list?

notdavis
I plan to stick around

Support via chat confirmed the service is discontinued, and so I called 611 and spoke to a technical support agent, and a technical support supervisor / escalation support, and they also confirmed the service is discontinued.

They both pointed to a 3rd party app called Hyper Care as a replacement but it looks to be geared towards Health Care. I am now looking at 3rd party email to SMS providers and or cancelling my 20+ year Rogers account and switching to Bell/Telus which still supports this. 

notdavis
I plan to stick around

This silent cancellation of this by Rogers is a joke. I wonder if Louis Rossmann will do a youtube video about it. 

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

instead of Email to SMS, why not just check your email on your smart phone?  its as simple as installing an app on the phone, no?   in all honesty the email to sms the messages are so small and truncated and its nearly impossible to read especially when people have a big email signature or reply and quote the message. why do people want to live like we are still in the '90's?

Martin_S
I've been here awhile

They could at least have warned us.

We have made some tests with TextMagic: it can transfer emails to SMS (one person or a distribution list). It's expensive though, with an monthly/annual fee + per-SMS fee.

Good luck

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

This was discussed in the following, and other threads, a couple of weeks ago.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Android/Unable-to-receive-emails-to-mynumber-pcs-rogers-com/m-...

@Martin_S : I missed two emergency messages (I am a search and rescue volunteer): one yesterday and one today. Is it because the service is discontinued or because there are filters that  block the messages? If it's the latter, is it possible to have a white list?

I'm not quite sure why you would be getting e-mails sent to you then. Why would they not send SMS to begin with or a phone call, both of which are instantaneous.  The service has been discontinued, as discussed in the above (and other) threads.

@Pauly wrote:

instead of Email to SMS, why not just check your email on your smart phone? 

This is probably not a substitute for SMS which arrive instantly.  I'm not sure if e-mails can be "pushed" to a phone app instantly, which would be OK then.

Someone else discussed security systems, which should be able to send an SMS, or an instantaneous notification to an App, like my security cameras do.

notdavis
I plan to stick around

SMS is preferable to email because in iOS you can assign the numbers it comes from it to a contact, assign that contact a unique text tone, and most importantly, enable Emergency Bypass to ensure it always alerts you with when something goes bad while you're sleeping in the middle of the night and your phone is in Do Not Disturb or Silent mode.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@notdavis wrote:

SMS is preferable to email ....

Why would the sender not send an SMS in the first place as discussed in my previous post?  E-mails are rarely answered instantaneously and problems can occur in a "transfer".

notdavis
I plan to stick around

Because almost every computer can send an automated email, but teaching a computer to send an SMS is more complex and requires third party services. It would then also rely on those third party services being available. 

SMS has had a robust availability. 

notdavis
I plan to stick around

Additionally, one email can be forwarded to multiple email-to-SMS addresses. 

Or at least could be before Rogers discontinued the service without notifying those who use it. 

Martin_S
I've been here awhile

@notdavis explained it well: the purpose of using SMS is (1) to get the message instantaneously, anytime and anywhere (I don't check my emails every minute, especially when I'm not at work), (2) to be able to use Emergency Bypass, and (3) to be able to assign a specific tone. In my case (search and rescue), time is of the essence: we need to get the message right away, reply the minute we get it, and grab our gear and deploy. Also, we need to be able to send the message to a distribution list (we are ~30 volunteers), not to individual people (and not phone calls).

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@notdavis wrote:

Because almost every computer can send an automated email, but teaching a computer to send an SMS is more complex and requires third party services.

So... computers can send and receive emails, and also phones can send and receive emails. so we should simply forget about the ability to convert the email to an sms and send an email from a computer to a phone directly and receive it directly without it being converted to another format, this sounds like the best approach

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Martin_S wrote:

@notdavis explained it well: the purpose of using SMS is (1) to get the message instantaneously, anytime and anywhere (I don't check my emails every minute, especially when I'm not at work), (2) to be able to use Emergency Bypass, and (3) to be able to assign a specific tone. In my case (search and rescue), time is of the essence: we need to get the message right away, reply the minute we get it, and grab our gear and deploy. Also, we need to be able to send the message to a distribution list (we are ~30 volunteers), not to individual people (and not phone calls).

This sounds like a problem that someone else should solve not the rescue volunteers problem.  I'm pretty pretty sure your boss or company its their job to find a solution to this, not you personally., so let the people who are responsible for coming up with solutions worry about the problem.

I know one thing for sure, that feature is GONE, so complaining about it will never bring it back, we should channel that energy into finding a new solution that can replace it instead of bragging about how good and robust it was.

btw, a phone can receive a text message instantly yes that is true, but a phone also receives an email message just as instantly as a text message. They are both equally reliable, email is not inferior to sms.

notdavis
I plan to stick around

This has nothing to do with receiving emails on phones, or how easy it is for you to receive emails on cell phones, or how your can read email on cell phones easier than you can read text messages. 

All cell phone service providers since the time before smartphones had a service where you could sent an email to your 10 digit cell phone number @ a sub domain of the carrier ( in Rogers' case, @pcs.rogers.com ) and it would be delivered as an SMS message over the Cellular Network, not the Data Network and thus not dependant on the phone having a strong connecting to an Edge/3G/4G/LTE network. This also (as was written multiple times before) allows you to assign a contact, tone, and emergency bypass to the numbers Rogers uses to deliver these SMS messages, allowing the service to function as an emergency pager. 

This allowed them to be very reliable, where the only disruption (up until now)  was when Rogers took out their entire Data/Cell/911 networks last year.

Email is not a solution to the tool that was email to sms. 

Bell and Telus still have this feature, Rogers discontinued it without any notification, causing disruptions to businesses and processes. For me, I was lucky to have discovered this after a co-worker was able to respond to a page, and no business/customers/equipment/facilities were lost. 

In Martin's case, it sounds like there was a possibility, because no notice was given, that emergencies went unanswered and people where put in situations where actual harm might occur to them.

This is unacceptable. 

It would have been trivial for Rogers to pull who was using these services, and send notifications of when the service would be discontinued. 

Right now the only solutions seem to be switch to Bell or Telus, which I know at the time I type this still provide this service, or look at a third party solution which adds additional points of failure.

Rogers doesn't even provide old fashioned pagers anymore, and their business customer support couldn't provide any solutions. 

notdavis
I plan to stick around

@Martin_S  right now I know Bell and Telus still support this feature, so I am exploring them as a solution.

For the third party, I'm looking at twilio, nexmo and clickatel. I am going to give twilio a go today. It will be using their  API that I will try integrating into our mail server with Dovecot / Sieve, so that doesn't sound like a solution that will work for you.

I believe twilio has a email to text solution where you can send an email address a message and it will get delivered, but it requires sendgrid (an email delivery platform like mailchip/sparkmail) integration and I haven't looked into that one as much as I know those email delivery platforms have gottened blocked/filtered because of spam abuse. 

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

the keyword is bell and telus "still" support this feature but for how much longer?  cancelling rogers to go with bellus because they still have this feature does not make financial sense, what if bellus gets rid of the feature next month? your screwed and wasted your time changing providers,   just let the manager find a solution for you.

not sure why people do not want to check email from their phone? email is reliable.  my old job as a dispatch we used email from our phone and it was nothing wrong it worked well. let your boss or company figure this one out not you

Christopher77
I plan to stick around

Rogers has decided to end the email to text/SMS service. Many two factor authentication services have now been rendered useless not to mention a lot of security services/alarm monitoring services use this feature. Why was this service cancelled? Time to switch to Bell Mobility as this service is still available, not to mention their network doesn’t go offline after an “update”.

notdavis
I plan to stick around

@Christopher77 exactly,. What makes this far far worse than them discontinuing a service, is that Rogers gave absolute no notice the service was going to abruptly shutdown. If Rogers had given 3 months, it would still be frustrating that the service was ending, but it wouldn't have been as disruptive as finding after critical notifications were missed.

Christopher77
I plan to stick around
Because the service has been retired, it will render all 3rd party services redundant.

Christopher77
I plan to stick around
Rogers has determined it’s “out of date” and classified it as “end of life” according to an internal memo.
Topic Stats