cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email to SMS service discontinued.

notdavis
I plan to stick around

I found out this morning that Email to SMS has been discontinued as a service.  I found this out because I never received an emergency text message. 

Rogers never notified me/did notify me on a bill (I looked at my bills)/didn't notify me because I wasn't "subscribed" to this service (I've been using since the 2000s). The supervisor and business support don't have any replacement solutions.

What does Rogers do to wake up their employees when the network breaks in the middle of the night? Or do they just plan it for the day, and reaching everyone fails because the network is down and thats why it takes so long to fix it? 

Other than switching to Bell or Telus, what are other solutions, 3rd party email to SMS providers? 

***Added Labels***

48 REPLIES 48

Re: Email to SMS service discontinued.

Christopher77
I plan to stick around

I can sympathize with you, the lack of knowledge on systems/services/features by CS agents is appalling for both Rogers & Bell.  But at the end of the day, the service is still live on Bell's network. 

AJD123
I've been here awhile

I have been with Rogers for more than 30 years and they never cease to amaze me with their terrible decisions.  No warning, no notice, just gone.  Lots of people use this service, honestly how expensive can it be for them to keep it up and running?  Goodbye number@pcs.rogers.com

AJD123
I've been here awhile

At the very least, why don't the offer this service as an addon?  I would pay $5 / month get get it back.

"Other than switching to Bell or Telus, what are other solutions, 3rd party email to SMS providers?" Can anyone provide some SMS solutions?  This is just crazy.

Hmm
I'm a reliable contributor

I'm bumping this thread because I was searching for info on this tonight.

Around the same time email to SMS was discontinued, I believe Rogers also discontinued online SMS to Rogers/Fido customers. I have been using that since around 2002.

Another useful feature that has been discontinued on many plans (with some grandfathered exceptions) is the 'Who Called Me' service. If your phone is off, in airplane mode without Wi-Fi calling, or in a non-coverage area, you no longer receive SMS alerts identifying missed calls without a message." With this handy service you did. There are many useful reasons to have this service including the security of loved ones. 

Sadly, Rogers is removing services instead of adding or providing new ones. 

Hmm

@AJD123 

I'm not sure I'd pay for this service because I used it infrequently, but I can completely understand why others might want it as an add-on. 

In my recent post above I mentioned how we're getting less and less these days from Rogers. One of the best features Bell, Telus, and Koodo have (unrelated to SMS) is "Call Control".

It's a free service. What this does is it screens your calls. Callers must enter a random code provided by the network after they dial your number. If they don't enter it correctly, the call isn't routed. You can also whitelist callers too. For such a large teleco like Rogers, it's baffling why they don't have this service. 

la175z
I've been around

Are you a post-paid or a prepaid customer or this feature is no longer available for both?

Hmm

I am not aware this feature was in fact available for post paid customers. 

Topic Stats